Team cards cuasing a problem.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Should team cards be banned ?

Yes, Ban them from all caches.
73%
Only ban them for caches in public parks.
No votes
No, There good.
8%
I like candy.
19%

Total votes: 99

stringy

Re: Team cards cuasing a problem.

Post by stringy » 27 October 09 4:32 pm

richary wrote:The exceptions may be a large cache interstate/overseas, or if I rock up to a cache and have forgotten my pen (or the stupid thing decides to die there) and the cache doesn't have one in it. Or the logbook is too wet to write in.

So I use them as a backup option these days when normal logging methods fail.
That is a good idea! :D

Maybe I should make some up.

ruzzelz
5500 or more caches found

Post by ruzzelz » 28 October 09 1:06 am

delboy1203 wrote:
SamCarter wrote:This thread has inspired me to put my phone number in each of my caches so that if people are having trouble finding it they can call me ......... ](*,) :lol:
Bit hard to call you for help when they need to find the cache to get your number... :roll:

Think about it :-k :-"

I'm with SamCarter :)

As for Team Cards - there is only one place for them. Stickers are almost as close to the same place.

grahamf72
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by grahamf72 » 28 October 09 8:44 pm

In a cache I found a few days ago it had a little card in it with a photo on one side and a team name on the back - I thought it was a swap item #-o but now that I've read this thread I realise it was a team card. Can't say I've ever seen this sort of thing before, and it was a bit of a pain getting it back into the cache bag along with the cache note & log (micro cache).
If they are done as a swap item, and put in caches big enough to hold swaps then I can't see a drama, but if it's just a "I was 'ere", then I think a stamp, or sticker in the logbook would be more appropriate. Even then though, in a micro log where there is limited space and the logbook has been prepared to give enough room for a name & date, it is a pain when someone plants a sticker or stamp and takes the space of a dozen spots. Plus when a log has a bunch of stickers on it, it tends to be harder to fold it to make it fit nicely into the cache. No dramas for large caches with large logs, but for micros they are a pain.

stealth_ninja_penguin
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by stealth_ninja_penguin » 17 November 09 6:07 pm

I started caching leaving a calling card but quit that after about 20. I could see what could happen if everyone (or at least a lot of people) started doing that. In some of the caches that I've found recently, the majority of the contents have been team cards. Some of these people spend a fair amount of time working up a design and laminating a card. Maybe they could spend that time working up a design for a stamp or sticker as their signature for the LOG BOOK.
I get more of a kick seeing a cachers sticker, stamp or signature in the log book than I do with a team card.
Well that's my 2 cents :wink:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 17 November 09 6:38 pm

or a pathtag :-)

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 17 November 09 7:15 pm

OK we will come clean...

Until this thread started, we were in the habit of leaving a team card the size of a postage stamp with the find number (as long as the cache wasn't small). But after seeing all the negative reaction we decided it might be time to change our ways and at least now we have the start of a reasonable pathtag design.
In our defense though, we had no idea that everyone hated them with such a passion. :oops:

ruzzelz

Post by ruzzelz » 17 November 09 8:13 pm

The passion is obvious if you add the candy vote. :-k

My apologies but when I do a cache check-up they end up :-"
Last edited by ruzzelz on 18 November 09 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 17 November 09 8:46 pm

I don't like the word 'ban', I like the word 'discourage'

Banning is a heavy-handed response, and should be last resort.

Banning is something we discourage here at GCA, and we should really ban using the word 'ban'

(I don't have any issues with calling cards. Now... if only the caches being hidden near me were BIG ENOUGH for a card, then maybe I'd get the chance to dislike them more)

/hayfever tablet is messing with my head, I think I'll go an have a nap.

Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rigger64 » 21 November 09 12:45 pm

stringy wrote:
richary wrote:The exceptions may be a large cache interstate/overseas, or if I rock up to a cache and have forgotten my pen (or the stupid thing decides to die there) and the cache doesn't have one in it. Or the logbook is too wet to write in.

So I use them as a backup option these days when normal logging methods fail.
Yeah well that is a good idea as a back up but if you realy want to leave a Sig item why not get a Pathtag or three made.

if you want here is the Web address for pathtags: http://www.pathtags.com

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 21 November 09 11:19 pm

To be honest I can't get into Pathtags despite having found a few. Nowadays I just ignore them and leave them on the rare occasions I do find one. That's personal choice and for those who enjoy them, go for it. I don't feel like paying lots of money to create items that are designed to be souvenired by finders.

But my point on calling cards is that they place something in a cache that shows I have visited it (as a backup in case the pen fails). Only relevant if anyone decided to check the cache and look for bogus logs or disputes I have been there. A pathtag doesn't fill that role in any case as it is really a swappable item or traveller - so the next finder might take it and the record of me being there is gone.

Fuddley
1950 or more caches found
1950 or more caches found
Location: Hastings NZ GPSr: Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr: Tom Tom XL one GPSr: Garmin Etrex Vista

Post by Fuddley » 22 November 09 6:19 am

richary wrote:To be honest I can't get into Pathtags despite having found a few. Nowadays I just ignore them and leave them on the rare occasions I do find one. That's personal choice and for those who enjoy them, go for it. I don't feel like paying lots of money to create items that are designed to be souvenired by finders.

But my point on calling cards is that they place something in a cache that shows I have visited it (as a backup in case the pen fails). Only relevant if anyone decided to check the cache and look for bogus logs or disputes I have been there. A pathtag doesn't fill that role in any case as it is really a swappable item or traveller - so the next finder might take it and the record of me being there is gone.
The same can be said for Team Cards, I know that on occasion my geokids have collected team cards from caches, as swaps, thus removing evidence of that teams visit. In my opinion nothing replaces something written of stuck in the log book, to prove that you have been there.

The Coffee's
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by The Coffee's » 22 November 09 3:42 pm

Simple solution, Just add compulsory business card holders to all caches. Come on whats next - ban stamps because or toxicity concerns. At least it is better to go out and find a cache or two than to sit around worrying about what method is used to log the find.
Regards Mr.Coffee and the "never had the time to create cards but maybe worth a thought" Coffee Clan.

Richary

Post by Richary » 22 November 09 9:21 pm

Fuddley wrote:The same can be said for Team Cards, I know that on occasion my geokids have collected team cards from caches, as swaps, thus removing evidence of that teams visit. In my opinion nothing replaces something written of stuck in the log book, to prove that you have been there.
True enough, and that is probably where small stickers would come in useful in case the pens are cactus or the logbook is damp but may still be dry enough for a sticker to take. Of course there is no solution for the ones that are dripping wet that you can't even open though maybe you could stick the sticker on the inside of the box.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 November 09 9:58 pm

Mr.Coffee and the Clan wrote:Simple solution, Just add compulsory business card holders to all caches. Come on whats next - ban stamps because or toxicity concerns. At least it is better to go out and find a cache or two than to sit around worrying about what method is used to log the find.
Regards Mr.Coffee and the "never had the time to create cards but maybe worth a thought" Coffee Clan.
Except where people use stickers on a magnetic sheet and the sheet will no longer stick because the additional sticker thickness becomes a hindrance to the magnetic attraction.
These are other peoples objects I'm playing with. I treat them with respect and try to leave them in the same or better condition.