This could be an interesting caching challenge.

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
GammaPiSigma
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

This could be an interesting caching challenge.

Post by GammaPiSigma » 20 October 09 11:03 am

Anyone want to have a go at building something like this:
http://hackaday.com/2009/10/19/reverse-geocache-puzzle/

Looks like an interesting challenge.

Cheers,
Michael.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: This could be an interesting caching challenge.

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 20 October 09 1:49 pm

I like it! Of course, you could do something similar with a Whereigo cartridge, although it's tougher to enforce the limited number of presses (unless there's an online component keeping track of multiple re-installs...)

EcoDave (of the now largely inactive Ecoteam) could do one of these. I have fond memories of the penultimate waypoint of their MacGyver cache that had an LCD giving you a task and then counting down the minutes. If you missed the deadline, the box went inactive for an hour before you could try again. (We solved it with literally a couple of seconds to spare. Add a tense music soundtrack and it would've been just like a TV show!)

I've got something rather less ambitious built and half-programmed for a night cache, but now I must look around for how much GPSr chips are worth...

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 20 October 09 4:38 pm

This is brilliant. I would love to have someone make me one. I do not have the technical knowledge to do stuff like this.... the building instructions meant gobbeldy gook to me. However, if any one needs to test one.....pick me, pick me. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 20 October 09 4:47 pm

Muzza's the man for things like this! If anyone wants to check out some of his handiwork, "Who Wants to be a Millionaire" (GCJTJ1) and "Bed Bugs" (GCQJFF) are prime examples :!:

Zytheran
2000 or more caches found

Post by Zytheran » 20 October 09 5:55 pm

Hmmm, considering there's going to be a micro CPU behind this I'd go for a multi-location and "open" at certain time combination. Adding those features will only add programming, not building complexity. When you get to each waypoint at the correct time it goes to the next stage. There's a running clock that resets back to start if a waypoint is missed.
You could also include a certain horizontal speed/duration (e.g avg. 5km/ hr for 24 hours, forcing a team approach :twisted: ) combination or even vertical up speed. :twisted: :twisted:
(run up the hill dude, too fast and you run out hill, too slow and back to the bottom :twisted: )
Then throw in some other micros to find with key information (eg. expected average speed at next WP) and it sounds like fun for all the family. :twisted:
Unfortunately Zytheran has the mechanical, electrical and programming skills to make one of these.. [-(
Luckily for others, not the time. :(

Shael6636
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Shael6636 » 20 October 09 6:09 pm

Hmmm I think this a great idea. It certainly has given me an idea for a modification to an exisitng cache that i ahve planned.

I will have to investigate the plans for building this indepth..... :twisted:

Captain Terror
7000 or more caches found
7000 or more caches found

Post by Captain Terror » 20 October 09 6:15 pm

haha wow. would certainly be a great challenge if you could make the thing. i like the idea of it sealing itself after an hour though, perhaps even only for 6 hours, but yes. bit like rogaining in a way too.

gd___
1600 or more caches found

Post by gd___ » 21 October 09 10:08 am

This would be great for National Park caches. It could be hiden outside the park but only opened at the spot inside the park you want people to get to.

Zytheran

Post by Zytheran » 21 October 09 11:16 am

gd___ wrote:This would be great for National Park caches. It could be hiden outside the park but only opened at the spot inside the park you want people to get to.
=D>

ABSOLUTELY BRILLIANT IDEA!

And it's not a moving cache because it can be set to have a home it must return to to reset?

Q 2 UMP: If this box was part of puzzle and needed to be taken somewhere to be opened to sign the log or to get information but always had a home, would it get published?

Shael6636

Post by Shael6636 » 21 October 09 11:23 am

YES I agree with Zytheran - Would this type of puzzle cache get published?

This would certainly help us cachers get around some of the rules and regulations about not placing caches in some of the national parks.

If the caches home base was near the intended national Park, and had to be retrieved then could be only opened at the spot or corodinates you want cachers to visit, it would certainly be a worhtwhile cache to do in my opionion. Additionally we would have a lower impact on the environment as you wouldnt have to search all over the GZ to unlock the cache.

Say only get within a 10 - 30 Meter radius and hopefully with paths to get the cacher to that "special spot"

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 21 October 09 11:49 am

Zytheran wrote:
gd___ wrote:This would be great for National Park caches. It could be hiden outside the park but only opened at the spot inside the park you want people to get to.
=D>

And it's not a moving cache because it can be set to have a home it must return to to reset?

Q 2 UMP: If this box was part of puzzle and needed to be taken somewhere to be opened to sign the log or to get information but always had a home, would it get published?
What if person 1 has the cache and is walking 1km to the final location, then cacher 2 comes along and can't find the device? There would need to be "something" there so cacher 2 doesn't think it's been muggled. Maybe cacher 1 needs o leave their phone number there so cacher 2 can call them to find out where the cache is and they can meet up?

Fuddley
1950 or more caches found
1950 or more caches found
Location: Hastings NZ GPSr: Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr: Tom Tom XL one GPSr: Garmin Etrex Vista

Post by Fuddley » 21 October 09 12:17 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Zytheran wrote:
=D>

What if person 1 has the cache and is walking 1km to the final location, then cacher 2 comes along and can't find the device? There would need to be "something" there so cacher 2 doesn't think it's been muggled. Maybe cacher 1 needs o leave their phone number there so cacher 2 can call them to find out where the cache is and they can meet up?
Ah finally a use for "Team Cards" =D> leave yours at listed GZ so other cachers know you have the box. I must go and print some

calumphing_four

Post by calumphing_four » 21 October 09 12:22 pm

The ideas bounced around are exactly what can be done in a Wherigo. Fairly easy to include timers, but then you can start getting very cruel very easily.
Bronze told me about a cache he did where you picked up pieces along to way to the final GZ, with the first piece located inside a box with a note stating that if the box is empty then some one was out doing it and to come back in an hour.
Cheers 8)

Shael6636

Post by Shael6636 » 21 October 09 12:44 pm

OMG there may actually be a use for team cards after all! But the question is where do you leave the card if you have retrieved the cache and have taken it to the unlovking GZ?

nailed to a tree perhaps :lol: But it could work especially if there is a mobile number on the team Card, or alterntively a small log book for statin the date & time the cache has been retrieved and a eta on when you will be returning the cache?

tronador

Post by tronador » 21 October 09 1:00 pm

[quote="calumphing_four"]The ideas bounced around are exactly what can be done in a Wherigo. quote]

Yes but not everyone can do these. You need a special GPS so they are not available to everyone. This clever box makes it possible for everyone to play.