Moveable Cache Race

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
caughtatwork

Re: Moveable Cache Race

Post by caughtatwork » 03 November 09 8:28 pm

stringy wrote:So, do we have to mention anything in the cache description regarding the race? :-k
Your don't have to, but you're welcome to.
You can encourage people to find and move your cache to move you ahead in the game if you like.
Once the race is over the game pieces become ordinary moving caches.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 03 November 09 8:33 pm

Camstal wrote:I have a few questions...

1. Do we have to add a prefix (e.g Moveable Cache Race-Whatever the name of the cache is)
2. How do you set it on a selected date (For the 1st Dec)

Can't wait till it starts but will be interested if my cache is even found as not many people around my area (Emerald Qld-Central Highlands Region) find caches on GCA.

Thanks,
Camstal
1. You don't have to. People will find and move caches (hopefully) regardless of whether they are game pieces or not. The game pieces will be tracked at cachinggames.com based on the GAnnnn you provide as your cache entry. The tracking is all automatic so there is no real need to highlight the cache to make it easier to spot in amongst others. On the other hand you are welcome to add the game name in if you like.

2. You can set your cache to be automatically published on 1 December 2009
When you make up your cache listing set the hidden date as 1/12/2009
Then log your cache and leave a "Published" log on the cache with a date of 1/12/2009
On 1-Dec-2009 GCA will automatically publish your cache.

On your third point, I fully understand. There aren't that many people who play the GCA game around my area either, but I live in forlorn hope that they will eventually support the site that was made for Australians. Alternatively, pimp your cache to all your caching mates. Maybe they'll do you good and find / move it. It might open a new experience for them.

Camstal
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: Camstal

Post by Camstal » 03 November 09 9:21 pm

Thanks Caught @ Work for your assistance! :D

Thanks,
Camstal

blossom*
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 05 November 09 2:18 pm

Cache starting location has been identified :D

This is going to be fun, I wonder how many "friends" I have who can be convinced to move my cache now :-k And how many times can I convince them to move it :lol:

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 05 November 09 7:38 pm

blossom* wrote:This is going to be fun, I wonder how many "friends" I have who can be convinced to move my cache now :-k And how many times can I convince them to move it :lol:
It'll be a new experience for some,it will open their eyes up to a whole new world of caching. (moveables can be fun!)

stringy

Post by stringy » 07 November 09 9:10 pm

I have just notified all the other geocachers in my area that don't visit the forums (about 8 or 9)

It will make it much more fun with my moveable just go a noch further maybe. \:D/

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 November 09 10:25 pm

stringy wrote:I have just notified all the other geocachers in my area that don't visit the forums (about 8 or 9)

It will make it much more fun with my moveable just go a noch further maybe. \:D/
Excellent. My plan is coming together.

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 10 November 09 1:39 pm

In order to prevent someone with weird ideas from picking up my cache, keeping it in their car and simply logging lots of moves themselves over and over (possibly even to random co-ordinates), I was planning to say that people can move the cache as often as they like provided that the last move was by someone else.

This is not entirely failsafe, but I wonder if the game ought to have this as a rule in general?

"There is no limit to the number of times other cachers can find / move the cache as long as it has been moved by someone else previously"

What do you think?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 November 09 2:19 pm

Sounds good.
I'll change the rule tonight and add in some more random prizes for people who move caches.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 10 November 09 2:54 pm

Rules (not guidelines)

* Caches for the competition must be published on 1 December 2009 Australian Eastern Time (GCA Time).
Geocaching Australia has the facility to automatically publish your cache on 1 December 2009.
Please contact an administrator if you would like to know how to accomplish this.
* The game commences at 00:00:01 1 December 2009 and concludes 23:59:59 31 January 2010.
* The game administrators decision is final.
* You can not find and move your own cache during the game period
* Caches must be found and hidden by the same cacher (i.e. no mailing the cache to another cacher to hide)
* There is no limit to the number of times other cachers can find / move the cache provided there is at least one other find / move in between
* There is no limit to the distance other cachers can move the cache
* Other cachers in the game may find / move your cache, but they must move it on within 2 days
* Cache must be size small or larger (i.e. no micros or nanos)

Prizes

There are 10 prizes on offer.

* The cache that moves the furthest distance in the game period
* The cache that accumulates the most number of moves in the game period provided the owner hasn't already won a prize
* The cache that moves the furthest distance in the game period in a single move provided the owner hasn't already won a prize
* 2 random cache owners who haven't already won a prize
* 5 random cachers who move a cache in the game period

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 16 November 09 7:18 pm

Is there anywhere that we can see who's entering this to date? 8-[ Or do we have to wait until 1st December? :-$ I'm sure you can see the caches that are listed to be published on that day with your all-seeing abilities :D

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 16 November 09 8:34 pm

The ladder http://www.cachinggames.com/mcr/ladder.php contains those who have created their cache at the site ready to play. Mine and GabGabs go out this weekend).

These are the only ones who are really considered "in the game" as without a game piece, you're not really playing.

As far as people who have signed up, here they are.

blossom*
Cached
Camstal
caughtatwork
Damo.
DDTs
delboy1203
GabGab
TeamGeoPlesk
TeamHurtle
WazzaAndWenches

Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rigger64 » 18 November 09 1:29 pm

This will be a ball of fun as i have already moved the Roundabout cache. So yeah count me in for this one.
I just have one question Is an Eclipse container considered a Small or a Micro :?:
They make a realy good hide if you put a Magnet in them!

blossom*

Post by blossom* » 18 November 09 1:52 pm

Personally, I consider them a Micro becasue I can't get my fingers into them to extract the d...... logs! :evil:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 18 November 09 2:09 pm

Personally I call them a micro. I think of small being a minimum of about 200ml.

The idea of small or larger was to avoid a bunch of nano containers being flung out. It adds to the challenge to rehide a small container than a nano or micro.

BUT ... YOU can do as you think is appropriate.