Moveable Cache Race

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
caughtatwork

Re: Moveable Cache Race

Post by caughtatwork » 22 December 09 6:42 pm

'fraid not. That would constitute a move by the owner which is not allowed.

stringy

Post by stringy » 22 December 09 6:46 pm

caughtatwork wrote:'fraid not. That would constitute a move by the owner which is not allowed.
still not quite convnced.. :(

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 December 09 6:52 pm

If you replace it in the last place it was listed, then you can replace it.
But if you replace it somewhere else it will accumulate kilometres and a stop.
If the owner is the one who moves it to accumulate kilometres and a stop then that's against the rules.

stringy

Post by stringy » 22 December 09 7:19 pm

caughtatwork wrote:If you replace it in the last place it was listed, then you can replace it.
But if you replace it somewhere else it will accumulate kilometres and a stop.
If the owner is the one who moves it to accumulate kilometres and a stop then that's against the rules.
But I wasn't trying to acheive it as a move

trying to acheive what you would to normal caches.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 December 09 7:28 pm

I hear what you say, but if you replace the cache in a different location, then the cache moves and accumulated km and a stop. You can only replace a cache in the last location it was in when it went missing.

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 22 December 09 7:37 pm

caughtatwork wrote:I hear what you say, but if you replace the cache in a different location, then the cache moves and accumulated km and a stop. You can only replace a cache in the last location it was in when it went missing.
I understand stringy's problem and as you say, the rule is that the owner can't move a cache. But maybe if we all agree that it is ok, in this one instance we might allow it to be placed in a different spot. If it has been muggled (which seems likely since it couldn't be found even with stringy on the phone giving directions), then it would be rather counter-productive to replace it in the same spot. The muggle might just take it again. No point giving away free cache containers to the same person over and over.

So do you reckon, in light of that, we could allow a different placement? Perhaps if the cache co-ordinates were "edited", it wouldn't show up as a move or as any distance? Same as when some of the moves had the wrong co-ords and were in the middle of the pacific ocean. Once corrected, the distance was also changed. Would that work?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 22 December 09 8:03 pm

Oh, sorry, this is not a hypothetical, but an actual muggling.
Gotcha!

Here what you should do.

Hide a new cache container.
Take note of the new co-ordinates where you have rehidden the cache.
When you get back home EDIT your PUBLISHED log.
Do NOT create a new LOG, EDIT the PUBLISHED log (look to the right of your log and you should see an Edit link).
Enter the NEW co-ordinates in the Add waypoint co-ordinates to log: box.
Save your PUBLISHED log.
IGNORE the message about an action that cannot be changed. It's not relevant in this case.

Your cache should now appear as thought it was always hidden in the new location. No move will be made and no kilometers will be accumulated.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

stringy

Post by stringy » 22 December 09 8:37 pm

Thanx for that,

In that instance if it doesn't get found toward the end of the year I might hide a cache in Sydney somewhere . :)

SamWalkers
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life

Post by SamWalkers » 23 December 09 11:30 pm

When Mobility Stealth got Muggled by campus security I had to go and ask them for it back.
Obviously I couldn't then turn around and leave it in the same location (given the very public nature of the cache).
I relocated it off campus and entered a note with coordinates.
In doing this I gained no advantage of distance or moves (just lost two days when it was in the clink).

ROMA123
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by ROMA123 » 26 December 09 10:52 am

stringy wrote:Thanx for that,

In that instance if it doesn't get found toward the end of the year I might hide a cache in Sydney somewhere . :)

Are you able to go and check to see if it has been muggled ????

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 26 December 09 7:27 pm

The maps and locations of all the caches in the race is a a great feature. Is it possible to also show on the map another other caches (even those not in the race) that are in the immediate area, like the google map from the cache page so when we go to look for a game cache it's also obvious straight away that there may be another cache close by. :?: :)
Oh and Merry Christmas to all the faeries.

stringy

Post by stringy » 26 December 09 8:22 pm

ROMA123 wrote:Are you able to go and check to see if it has been muggled ????
probably not..

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 26 December 09 9:38 pm

tronador wrote: Is it possible to also show on the map another other caches (even those not in the race) that are in the immediate area, like the google map from the cache page so when we go to look for a game cache it's also obvious straight away that there may be another cache close by. :?: :)
Click on the cache icon and then the name to open the cache listing page, then click google maps or earth to open the map with all caches. \:D/

tronador

Post by tronador » 26 December 09 10:13 pm

Damo. wrote:
tronador wrote: Is it possible to also show on the map another other caches (even those not in the race) that are in the immediate area, like the google map from the cache page so when we go to look for a game cache it's also obvious straight away that there may be another cache close by. :?: :)
Click on the cache icon and then the name to open the cache listing page, then click google maps or earth to open the map with all caches. \:D/
Yes I'm aware that you can do it this way, I just thought it might be possible to include all other caches in the link at the top of the race page where it says Map where they are now, but I guess that would mean lots of resources and a very cluttered map of Australia????
I guess I just answered my own question. Probably not a good idea. #-o

Hunter-Finder
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Post by Hunter-Finder » 28 December 09 11:59 am

blossom* wrote:My NZ trip isn't actually clocking up that many moves :( It's only got 9 moves all up so there's NO way I'll ever catch up to 43 moves. But it has had a nice tour around the country and managed to land on a glacier up on Mt Cook last stop. But cold there I reckon though (insert shivering smilie here)

So I reckon we'll all have a lot of trouble getting more moves up that On Her Majesties Postal Service :evil:
I reckon we could do something to jack up the number of moves made. :twisted: All it takes is 2 cachers and google earth and a bit of time. Using GE pickout locations, log the move and the next person "finds" the cache, locates another hiding place with GE then posts a move. All without leaving the lounge. Keeping this up you could post several moves a day and rack up massive mileage as well. \:D/ Then when enough km's are added simply put the cache back out for someone else to find making sure the log book had been filled in properly of course.
But then that could be considered cheating and we wouldn't do that would we. [-X :-"