Moveable Cache Race

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Re: Moveable Cache Race

Post by Yurt » 29 January 10 3:01 pm

mundoo wrote:
Yurt wrote: I think the main one would be having more participants
When I read the lead up to this my initial thought was 'not for me, its too hard' and so didn't enter.
I had no idea what it was all about and hadn't clicked on the thread to read about it. It was only a PM from blossom* that got me started. By chance in December I was clocking up the kms flying so I managed to move a few a pretty good distance. Problem was I had the bad habit of removing the Sydney caches and not bringing enough back so there was virtually nothing to work with all summer here.

The great thing (one of them) about the race is that it was a good chance to try out some locations you might have been thinking about placing a cache. I know a couple I found will probably end up as cache spots and I'd like to make at least one of mine a permanent cache. In the spirit of the race we should make them GCA caches though!

ROMA123
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by ROMA123 » 30 January 10 12:51 am

stringy wrote:
blossom* wrote:bring on the next idea so I can get an early start on plans and strategies
Get ready for the Cache Of The Year Award

I am slowly getting ideas and will put it into practice :)
LOL I think you've won that already with a cache that didn't move in this race... I would love to know if it had been muggled initially, or if it just wasn't found :?

Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rigger64 » 31 January 10 10:43 am

I have one question if our caches are left out there to wonder around till the race is run again would they still be elagable to enter or would it mean that we would have to place a new cache??

One thing i will say is that i have had a ball watching from the side lines mainly because there was only a couple of caches that came my way then vanished before i got a chance to get to ether of them.

On a differant tangent i live in the frankston area & there there is not many GCA caches nearby for me to find so i recon i might have to start puting out a few to hopfully spark i bit of intrest in this area. :D :-"

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 January 10 10:56 am

The next race would start from the beginning again, so they would all be new caches. It's too hard to work out "what happened before" the new game starts. It also means that people will get a new cache to find.

Typically I only find a cache once (except for the race), so if I'd found a cache in August and a race started in October, I would likely not go find the same cache again and it would suffer from a lack of finders.

If you could hide a GCA cache or two down your way that would be very nice. They may not get a lot of finds initially, but then again, neither did GC caches when they first came online. The more caches, the more finders, the more hiders. Self fulfilling activity really.

Rigger64

Post by Rigger64 » 31 January 10 11:35 am

caughtatwork wrote:The next race would start from the beginning again, so they would all be new caches. It's too hard to work out "what happened before" the new game starts. It also means that people will get a new cache to find.

Typically I only find a cache once (except for the race), so if I'd found a cache in August and a race started in October, I would likely not go find the same cache again and it would suffer from a lack of finders.
Yeah i know it was a silly question but it had to be asked someone had to do it. :-"

pwags
1500 or more caches found

Post by pwags » 31 January 10 4:16 pm

OK - so the race is almost over. I'd love to see how many of the MCR caches each person found during the race. I was able to find and move 10 unique MCR caches over the two months, (not including hiding my own at the start).

How did everyone else go? I wonder if c@w can report this automagically somehow?

blossom*
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by blossom* » 31 January 10 4:30 pm

pwags wrote:OK - so the race is almost over. I'd love to see how many of the MCR caches each person found during the race. I was able to find and move 10 unique MCR caches over the two months, (not including hiding my own at the start).

How did everyone else go? I wonder if c@w can report this automagically somehow?
I managed to "meet" 8 separate moving caches. But I moved the Olympic parklands Bike Cache 12 times altogether :D It wasn't too hard to get to this one as it had a special rule to stay within the boundaries of Sydney Olympic Parklands and I could just go for a ride any day as long as someone else had been to move it.

PrincessDiala
2300 or more caches found
2300 or more caches found

Post by PrincessDiala » 31 January 10 4:55 pm

I meet all of Vic's MCR's except for Postman Pat. I also met Damo Loves Sarie, and brought back OHMPS and Blossom*s cache, makes that 9 right, not including my own?
I did try to move Olympic Parklands cache, but blossom had already beaten me to it, and I didn't have time to go back again..

Hopefully I can meet Postman pat when it gets placed again after the race finishes...

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 31 January 10 7:48 pm

I managed to move caches in or out of 5 states which was pretty good. If QLD had been more involved I could have done more. Also never managed to pick one up in Vic in two visits but I was a bit rushed. More near the airports!

pwags

Post by pwags » 31 January 10 7:54 pm

Yurt wrote:I managed to move caches in or out of 5 states which was pretty good. If QLD had been more involved I could have done more. Also never managed to pick one up in Vic in two visits but I was a bit rushed. More near the airports!
There's two near Melb. airport right now... you've still got time! \:D/

crane2

Post by crane2 » 31 January 10 10:19 pm

I know it may be somewhere in this thread, but I am too slack to go back and read the bits I have missed. :oops: :oops: What happens to these caches at the end of the race? Do they stay as moveables but the race component is over or do they get placed, picked up? I couldn't find anything in the rules about this aspect. Just curious.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 31 January 10 10:29 pm

crane2 wrote:I know it may be somewhere in this thread, but I am too slack to go back and read the bits I have missed. :oops: :oops: What happens to these caches at the end of the race? Do they stay as moveables but the race component is over or do they get placed, picked up? I couldn't find anything in the rules about this aspect. Just curious.
I guess that's totally up to the owners but it would be nice if they remained in play.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 January 10 10:56 pm

Correct. They are every day moving geocaches owned by the owner, so they can stay f they like or they can archive like the would do any other cache they own.

Personally, the more caches the merrier.

Rigger64

Post by Rigger64 » 31 January 10 10:58 pm

Well mine will be staying out there.
And come the next race i well be there again.

Yurt

Post by Yurt » 31 January 10 11:26 pm

Looks like Postman Pat has pulled an action to cross the line.
But has pwags picked it up twice in a row? That's what the log looks like.
Controversy corner!