Do we get double points for visiting last 5 geocaches TWICE?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
GJMMelb
3000 or more caches found

Do we get double points for visiting last 5 geocaches TWICE?

Post by GJMMelb » 29 September 09 12:13 pm

lol!!
Sunday night (after dark) I discovered I couldnt find my phone :? .... did all the usual things like ringing it from the home phone to see if it was hiding in the house or car somewhere - no such luck... Unfortunately :? with my phone I had it set on message alert to keep beeping every MINUTE!! until I look at the message so therefore it would now be doing that after me ringing it as it would get a missed call message...
Anyway so we couldnt go looking then it was dark and unfortunately raining ....a LOT!! :cry:

Monday morning GMelb had to go to work so MMelb (12yo son) and I (JMelb) went back to 2 of the caches with no luck... and we discovered the battery had gone flat (coz of all the message alert bleeps!!) as when ringing it (to see if it was in the area of the cache) it went straight to the message .....we then went home as we were having visitors. Late Monday arvo we went back to 2 more of the caches - again no luck but we didnt have time to visit the 5th... :(

This morning we both headed off to the last (and steepest :!: lol - thats why we left it till last!!!!) and amazingly MMelb FOUND IT!!!!! \:D/ =D> Right at GZ where I had been "scrambling around" lolol

It is very wet and the front screen has got water in it :( So its now in front of the heater drying out before I attempt to recharge it.....
Wish us luck [-o<

So what have YOU lost while geocaching??? #-o

GJMMelb

pipes_down_under
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Re: Do we get double points for visiting last 5 geocaches TWICE?

Post by pipes_down_under » 29 September 09 12:18 pm

Not nearly as exciting but had to use trackback 2 hours later to locate some reading glasses dropped on the way back from a cache.
Found 'em.

NotHisRealName

Post by NotHisRealName » 29 September 09 2:11 pm

I've ended up in a spa with my mobile before (don't ask) and, although my phone worked a bit - it was essentially an expensive paperweight.

I even sent it away to get serviced/fixed (cost me about $180!!!) and it was no better upon return.
I'm sorry to say that your phone might be due for replacing.

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 29 September 09 2:24 pm

We've had a phone end up in a creek while caching, which ultimately was rescued by drying out and then a bit of soldering courtesy of my brother who is handy with such things - that was an older Nokia though, doubt that would work with the iPhone!

We've also almost lost our GPSr, after completing a multi and heading back (down a hill) to the car, only to discover we didn't know what we'd done with it. Walked all the way back up the hill to the cache to discover that somehow we'd left the GPSr IN the cache! That was one of our more memorable finds, apart from almost losing the GPSr, we also found a bonfire sized pile of illegal plants dumped near the cache so a call to the cops was involved...

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 29 September 09 2:48 pm

GJMMelb wrote:lol!!

I reckon I have gone close to loosing my sanity a few times trying to crack some puzzle caches ;-)

Chip once left our Gizmo at a cache in Raymond Terrace. Sadly we didn't notice until the in-car Gizmo told us we had we reached the next cache; 45 minutes up there Pacific Highway! We managed to find two caches using just the in-car Gizmo on the way back to Raymond Terrace, where we found Gizmo actually where Chip had left it. A 90 minute diversion.

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 29 September 09 3:49 pm

pipes_down_under wrote:Not nearly as exciting but had to use trackback 2 hours later to locate some reading glasses dropped on the way back from a cache.
Found 'em.
Yikes it's always the expensive things we lose or nearly lose!! Glad you found them!! \:D/

NotHisRealName wrote:I've ended up in a spa with my mobile before (don't ask) and, although my phone worked a bit - it was essentially an expensive paperweight.

I even sent it away to get serviced/fixed (cost me about $180!!!) and it was no better upon return.
I'm sorry to say that your phone might be due for replacing.
Sadly I have only had the phone for 5 WEEKS!! Yahhhhh!! I have tried to recharge it once but nothing so back in front of the heater (which isnt actually on now coz it's a nice sunny day lol but will put it back on this evening) Sorry your phone wasnt fixable (especially after paying $180!!) :(

Team Wibble wrote:We've had a phone end up in a creek while caching, which ultimately was rescued by drying out and then a bit of soldering courtesy of my brother who is handy with such things - that was an older Nokia though, doubt that would work with the iPhone!

We've also almost lost our GPSr, after completing a multi and heading back (down a hill) to the car, only to discover we didn't know what we'd done with it. Walked all the way back up the hill to the cache to discover that somehow we'd left the GPSr IN the cache! That was one of our more memorable finds, apart from almost losing the GPSr, we also found a bonfire sized pile of illegal plants dumped near the cache so a call to the cops was involved...
WOW what a find!!! :shock: I also checked inside the 4 caches that we went back to yesterday just in case I had somehow put it in there lolol Hopefully my hubby might be able to perform some surgery on my phone when he gets back from interstate!!

Hoojar wrote:

I reckon I have gone close to loosing my sanity a few times trying to crack some puzzle caches ;-)

Chip once left our Gizmo at a cache in Raymond Terrace. Sadly we didn't notice until the in-car Gizmo told us we had we reached the next cache; 45 minutes up there Pacific Highway! We managed to find two caches using just the in-car Gizmo on the way back to Raymond Terrace, where we found Gizmo actually where Chip had left it. A 90 minute diversion.
LOL re the puzzle caches!!! Glad your Gizmo was still there!!!!! :)

I think I'll be a lot more careful from now-on!!!!!

GJMMelb

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 29 September 09 5:27 pm

My PDA went for a half-hour swim at the bottom of a creek on the way to a cache a few weeks ago. Couldn't find it immediately but located it on the way back out again after finding the cache. I didn't turn it on, but let it spend two days drying in the sun, including time in a bag with a pile of silica gel desiccant sachets. To my amazement, at the end of the two days of drying it worked (and still had a full charge ... although I lost my data (but luckily I had a sufficiently recent back up)).

I'm told one of the main secrets to success is to not let any electrickery happen until it is totally dry because otherwise you are likely to get a short circuit. There are also no guarantees even then, however!

Team Ladava
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Team Ladava » 29 September 09 5:39 pm

Not really caching relevant but I was recovering from knee surgery and had my flat mobile sitting on the table near the couch.
No. 2 grandchild wandered off with it while the family was visiting.
Couldn’t ring it as it was flat. Rang our daughter to look in the car, nappy bag, etc. etc. No luck.
A couple of days later my wife was getting relief from my demanding coffee, food, magazine. chocolate, anything, by watering the garden and found the phone amongst the shrubbery where he had put his head out though the doggy door and dropped it. It worked fine.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 29 September 09 8:43 pm

Ohhhhh, theres that word------

We demand, a SHRUBBERY.

The Coffee's
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by The Coffee's » 29 September 09 11:51 pm

Sunday night (after dark) I discovered I couldnt find my phone :? .... did all the usual things like ringing it from the home phone to see if it was hiding in the house or car somewhere - no such luck... Unfortunately :? with my phone I had it set on message alert to keep beeping every MINUTE!! until I look at the message so therefore it would now be doing that after me ringing it as it would get a missed call message...
Anyway so we couldnt go looking then it was dark and unfortunately raining ....a LOT!! :cry:
Monday morning GMelb had to go to work so MMelb (12yo son) and I (JMelb) went back to 2 of the caches with no luck... and we discovered the battery had gone flat (coz of all the message alert bleeps!!) as when ringing it (to see if it was in the area of the cache) it went straight to the message .....we then went home as we were having visitors. Late Monday arvo we went back to 2 more of the caches - again no luck but we didnt have time to visit the 5th... :(
This morning we both headed off to the last (and steepest :!: lol - thats why we left it till last!!!!) and amazingly MMelb FOUND IT!!!!! \:D/ =D> Right at GZ where I had been "scrambling around" lolol
It is very wet and the front screen has got water in it :( So its now in front of the heater drying out before I attempt to recharge it.....
Wish us luck [-o<
GJMMelb
<p>
May I suggest you either get some silica gel or rice and put your phone in it in a bag for 4 days to draw out the moisture from the phone, this does work better than a heater.<p>
I once lost my patience at a cache LOL.

reasonjo
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by reasonjo » 30 September 09 12:06 am

I lost a pair of sunglasses last Wednesday. I tried to find them but had no luck. No luck finding the cache either!!

Went back the next day and found the cache. No luck with the glasses though.

Thankfully they were a busted old pair of sunnies (crack through one of the lenses) that I was only wearing because I'd lost my good pair of sunnies earlier in the day. I was not happy with losing two pairs of sunnies in one day!

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 30 September 09 12:40 am

SamCarter wrote:My PDA went for a half-hour swim at the bottom of a creek on the way to a cache a few weeks ago. Couldn't find it immediately but located it on the way back out again after finding the cache. I didn't turn it on, but let it spend two days drying in the sun, including time in a bag with a pile of silica gel desiccant sachets. To my amazement, at the end of the two days of drying it worked (and still had a full charge ... although I lost my data (but luckily I had a sufficiently recent back up)).

I'm told one of the main secrets to success is to not let any electrickery happen until it is totally dry because otherwise you are likely to get a short circuit. There are also no guarantees even then, however!
Wow that must have been a relief!! \:D/ Unfortunately I had already connected my phone up before I read this - but guess what - it seems to be working!!! I have turned it off again now and done what Mr Coffee and the Clan has suggested!!

Team Ladava wrote:Not really caching relevant but I was recovering from knee surgery and had my flat mobile sitting on the table near the couch.
No. 2 grandchild wandered off with it while the family was visiting.
Couldn’t ring it as it was flat. Rang our daughter to look in the car, nappy bag, etc. etc. No luck.
A couple of days later my wife was getting relief from my demanding coffee, food, magazine. chocolate, anything, by watering the garden and found the phone amongst the shrubbery where he had put his head out though the doggy door and dropped it. It worked fine.
Oh wow that was lucky!! \:D/ Imagine how long it might have been there if she hadnt watered the garden!! lol

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Ohhhhh, theres that word------

We demand, a SHRUBBERY.
Ok I am sure that means something to the regulars on here lol but I am a newbie and have no idea lolol !!! :oops:

Mr.Coffee and the Clan wrote: <p>
May I suggest you either get some silica gel or rice and put your phone in it in a bag for 4 days to draw out the moisture from the phone, this does work better than a heater.<p>
I once lost my patience at a cache LOL.

lol re the patience!! THANKS re the rice idea - I have now done that .... when hubby gets home tomorrow from interstate he's gonna wonder why there's a bag of rice in the loungeroom lolol :D

[img]IMG_2085C:\Users\default.default-PC\Pictures\2009_09_29[/img]
[img]IMG_2086C:\Users\default.default-PC\Pictures\2009_09_29[/img]

reasonjo wrote:I lost a pair of sunglasses last Wednesday. I tried to find them but had no luck. No luck finding the cache either!!

Went back the next day and found the cache. No luck with the glasses though.

Thankfully they were a busted old pair of sunnies (crack through one of the lenses) that I was only wearing because I'd lost my good pair of sunnies earlier in the day. I was not happy with losing two pairs of sunnies in one day!
Oh what a pain to lose 2 pairs in one day!!!!! Glad you could tick off the cache tho!! :)

THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUGGESTIONS (and stories!!! lol)
Last edited by GJMMelb on 30 September 09 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

GJMMelb

Post by GJMMelb » 30 September 09 12:43 am

Ok I tried to upload 2 photos but it didnt work :(

I obviously had the wrong url thingy ..... could someone be able to tell me how to do it properly please :oops:

GJMMelb

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 30 September 09 7:45 am

GJMMelb wrote:Ok I tried to upload 2 photos but it didnt work :(
I obviously had the wrong url thingy ..... could someone be able to tell me how to do it properly please :oops:
The pictures need to be online to link. If it's cache related you could upload them to a cache log for example. Then view the picture online and copy the url (or right click, copy image location) and post that url between the [img] tags.

GammaPiSigma
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by GammaPiSigma » 30 September 09 8:37 am

Dropped my mobile phone while placing a cache once. Had to go back several hours later and locate it via the ring the phone and listen method.

My sometime caching buddy left his very smelly cycling gloves inside a cache once. Took him a couple of minutes and lots of bad words to work out where he had left them.

Cheers,
Michael.