Scouting Cachers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Hoojar
5000 or more caches found

Scouting Cachers

Post by Hoojar » 11 September 09 5:09 pm

I have noticed over my caching that a fair number of cachers have a past or present affiliation with the Scout Association. At the last Scout Jamboree (Elmore) I was disappointed to have to walk a few km to the nearest cache, and even then there were only two in town. It was, however, noted that a good number of Scouters made the walk. Thankfully Bendigo was only a bus ride away and there were more caches available!

The next Jamboree is coming up in a few months at Cataract near Sydney. From advice from TheUmp there is no likelyhood of holding an Event Cache in conjunction with the Jamboree, nor having a cache on the site and only available during the Jamboree. And at the moment there is one cache directly in front of the Jamboree site and one other with easy walking distance.

I live close to the site and would like an indication as to if any other cachers will be at the Jamboree and if so I will hide some more caches in the vicinity!

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Re: Scouting Cachers

Post by SamCarter » 11 September 09 6:05 pm

Re more nearby caches at Cataract Park: Yes please.

If we can't have a GC event (I'm curious about reasons), then why not have a GCA one?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 September 09 6:54 pm

A GC event is a caching event held by geoachers for geocachers and not an addendum to another activity. That would be the reason GC may reject an event. http://www.geocaching.com/about/guidelines.aspx#event

GCA of course has no such silly restrictions and you would be free to list and attend a GCA event.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 12 September 09 1:03 am

There was a GCA cache at Elmore. Mrs Bundy was one of the first to log a find, she may have even scored FTF. I would have to check.

Cheers
Bundy

paegle boy
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by paegle boy » 15 September 09 8:42 am

i go up from thirroul to it when it is on

Camstal
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: Camstal

Post by Camstal » 15 September 09 8:52 am

I'll be there and I'll be more than happy to attend a 'mini' event there and meet any cachers who turn up.

May I suggest though that if a GCA geocaching event was to be hosted it may attract more people if you host it on the open day...the day which is open to all scouts who haven't attended the Jamboree.

Thanks,
Camstal

TaylorBrats

Post by TaylorBrats » 29 November 09 1:46 am

Would love some caches in the rough proximity of Cataract Park! :D

I noticed on one of the AJ2010 info maps, that the Jamboree is having a geocaching activity area within the park during the camp, but other caches nearby would certainly get some use by more than one or two of us Scouters! (There are three TaylorBrats who will be in attendance at AJ2010 - one Scout, one Rover, one Leader)

Not long now!!!
Last edited by TaylorBrats on 29 November 09 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

TaylorBrats

Post by TaylorBrats » 29 November 09 1:49 am

Camstal wrote:May I suggest though that if a GCA geocaching event was to be hosted it may attract more people if you host it on the open day...the day which is open to all scouts who haven't attended the Jamboree.
FYI (in case you hadn't heard before now) they've been telling us that anyone wishing to visit AJ2010 needs to apply in advance - so that the site is 'secure' - so hosting an event just outside the campsite might be a good idea. :)

waterlogged
1250 or more geocaches found
1250 or more geocaches found

Post by waterlogged » 29 November 09 9:18 am

Don't they have visitor days any more?

What about cub and guide visitor day?

I do remember how I use to not look forward to these days as a jamboree troop leader due to the number of people though your camp and the security issues involved.

Have some fun at the Jamboree on my behalf.
Gavin

TaylorBrats

Post by TaylorBrats » 29 November 09 12:05 pm

They are still having Market Day/Visitor Day, but my understanding (and please, anyone correct me if I've gotten my wires crossed on this one) is that even for visitor day, people needed to have permission in advance to enter the site.
I was told to inform all my parents that if they wanted to visit, to apply, and not expect to be let in if they just rocked up.

OMY130

Post by OMY130 » 29 November 09 5:56 pm

I have 1 daughter is going down for AJ2010. They only have 1 day to visitors to access the site, you must register online & have it approved. No walk ins'. We'll be down there, more to see the Park, not the daughter. Also be camping & a touch of caching for around 2 weeks.

firesafe
10000 or more caches found

Post by firesafe » 29 November 09 7:01 pm

I will be heading over to the Jamboree for Market Day staying at Wollongong and spending a few days caching in the area [:D]

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 30 November 09 9:22 am

Yes there is only one visitors day. Yes you needed to register in advance. Registrations closed last Friday.

I am in the process of planning some new caches for up there that will hopefully be ready before the event.

the farmers 5
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 30 November 09 6:06 pm

Hoojar wrote:Yes there is only one visitors day. Yes you needed to register in advance. Registrations closed last Friday.

I am in the process of planning some new caches for up there that will hopefully be ready before the event.
I can tell you there will be plenty of Geocachers at the event to find your caches .
A lanky well known Melbourne geocacher is high up in the organising of the big event.He is also the one who has put together the massive "Registration System " for the 12,000 anticipated scouts event and is assisting with the Oz Mega Wagga Wagga "registration" :D

He has mentioned that plenty of Geocachers will be attending and will be also advertising the Oz Mega Wagga Wagga event at the scout event.Will be hard to find a Geocacher amongst the 12,000 expected but if you wear a cap with a Geocacahing Logo on it,there's a good chance of bumping into another cacher.
Their massive logistical exercise includes 360,000 meals.A bit mindboggling isn't it :D :D

I think you will a few new caches appearing in the region close to the event time. :DWe wish the event all the success and good luck it deserves. =D>

Huurtle

Post by Huurtle » 05 December 09 12:54 am

I will be there, as a day worker for 5 days! Will be cache blitzing the area for the rest of the days, while the geokid#1 is at the camp!
I'd love to attend an interstate event. It's not too hard to organise. Have it as a BYO in a park nearby, and be mindful not to limit who can attend either(ie open to ALL cachers, not just Scouting ones). Probably can't have it too close to Cataract, because they're saying it will be very congested on that road into there?
That way it satisfies the rules, allows visiting cachers from interstate and overseas to catch up, scouters or otherwise. It's not often cachers from interstate anywhere can catch up unless a special event is organised when they are in town.