Scouting Cachers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found

Re: Scouting Cachers

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 12 July 12 6:19 pm

Well, in our case- Billabong sub camp- the Sub camp leader is also our regional leader, and lives in town. So we have seen the surveyors maps for Billabong sub camp, which, although a bit difficult to fathom, it does show some permenant and currently installed infrastructure- of all things sewerage manhole covers (I refuse to call them personal access holes, or whatever is the politically correct term)

From that, and a long tape measure and GPS, allowed us to pretty much map out the sub camp area. We have made 2 trips so far to the Jamboree site, its only 5 hrs drive each way.

What I can say is, Billabong and Highlands are both well treed areas, so much so I believe there will be some clearing of underbrush and small trees for individual campsites, but I would think this will be kept to a minimum. Billabong is based around the equestrian centre, with lots of cross country jumps insitu, hence my mention of the horse jump above.

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 13 July 12 10:13 am

We were given photos of our campsite. I believe that the NSW Contingent Team took a photo of every NSW campsite on their last visit. It looks like the underbrush you refer to may have already been removed.

Does your map show any toilets or showers in Highlands? Our map does not, and we were told that the location had not yet been confirmed.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 13 July 12 6:21 pm

Hoojar

No, sorry I dont have that information. Apparently there are supposed to be toilets and showers located beside the access road- but they are supposed to be Billabongs. The Google Earth image I pointed out, showing the square horse jump, they will apparently be located directly south of the jump, on the other side of the road that is visble.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 20 October 12 12:15 am

Sneak peak of some props and bits and pieces for Billabong sub camp.

Bronnie_1990
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found
Twitter: bronnie1990

Post by Bronnie_1990 » 20 October 12 5:54 pm

aww, looks good. I sure hope those gateways dont sing (yes the memories of aj2007 still haunt me..)

Found out that our scouts are D15 (Desert), including the troop leader who is a geocacher! (who doesnt do GCA..sigh)

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 20 October 12 6:24 pm

Well, since posting yesterday, the 3 pieces of cutout have manifested themselves into,

And lets not forget, Oscar the evil owl. Billabongs frat tent mascot.

A bit of a production line happening here at Jota/Joti with some assistance being given by some of the leaders/parents :D =D> and kids :shock: :oops:

Look like I am going to have to come down to the den in the next couple of days with the gernie.

team_coxy

Post by team_coxy » 21 October 12 8:41 am

There is a Geocaching activity again this year being run by 3 cachers. It is run by saulmann1010, Datruk and team_coxy. We will have lots of trackables to discover. Drop by the activity tent and see us but not on market day as I believe there was mention of a caching run to Hervey Bay.

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 21 October 12 9:14 am

Unfortunately, I wont be going to the Jamboree as a participant, that 4 letter word- WORK- gets in the way. Mrs Bundy will be there, at the Billabong frat tent. My Jamboree experience begins Boxing day, hopefully, with helping to set up the Billabong admin area, and tearing it down at the end, and of course, making many many birds.

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 21 October 12 1:40 pm

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:My Jamboree experience begins Boxing day, hopefully, with helping to set up the Billabong admin area, and tearing it down at the end, and of course, making many many birds.
:shock: That's a pretty impressive non sequitur (especially with "and of course"!)

Can I suppress my curiosity until I get there or should I request an explanation now?!

Taz
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Taz » 21 October 12 7:58 pm

Bronnie_1990 wrote:aww, looks good. I sure hope those gateways dont sing (yes the memories of aj2007 still haunt me..)

Found out that our scouts are D15 (Desert), including the troop leader who is a geocacher! (who doesnt do GCA..sigh)
Bronnie we're camped near you then, we are D25.
Practice camp next weekend! Can't wait

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 24 October 12 2:20 pm

Bundyrumandcoke wrote:Unfortunately, I wont be going to the Jamboree as a participant, that 4 letter word- WORK- gets in the way. Mrs Bundy will be there, at the Billabong frat tent. My Jamboree experience begins Boxing day, hopefully, with helping to set up the Billabong admin area, and tearing it down at the end, and of course, making many many birds.
Hmmm, ever had a situation that really peeves you off. I am supposed to go back to work on 28/12/12 after a couple of days off, which will include a hurried christmas, and the trip down to Maryborough for a couple of days to start setting up.

So I go to work last night and inform my supervisor that I intend going over his head and asking for special consideration regarding a couple of extra days off for setting up at AJ2013. I am then told, miraculously, that the first couple of weeks of Jan are now available to take off on recreation leave. WTF? So a hurried sms to the sub camp leader to see if there is somehow for me to get to AJ as an adult helper. I wait with baited breath to see what happens.

steptoe
1650 or more caches found

Post by steptoe » 26 October 12 9:46 am

I too am on the line with troop Outback 32.
I still have to work out coords (had not thought of doing so till reading the logs). - edited - coords look like being approx S25 30.576 E152 40.050 based on the pdf map/plan I received, and comparing it to the visible features on g-earth.
Maybe we all need to have a GC/GCA logo visible on our gateways so other cachers can find us during AJ - or maybe a version of the scout logo in the 4 geo-colours.(like this quickly done one - http://www.robian.net/images/gc_scouting.jpg
which would also get others wondering WHY it was in different colours).
Steptoe

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 29 October 12 8:56 am

steptoe wrote:or maybe a version of the scout logo in the 4 geo-colours.
Or maybe this: http://geocaching.scouts.com.au/badge/index.php

steptoe

Post by steptoe » 29 October 12 11:43 am

Well there you go,
Scouts Aust have a geocaching comp running for the first half of 2013,
yet rather than find out on a scout newsletter, I find out here -
thanks for the link Hoojar!

Guess I need to promote it to the scouts - we already cache on hikes etc to get them interested.

And yep - much easier to print off the inage of the blanket badge (A5 size maybe) and laminate it as a "troop with a cacher" tag on the gateway/fence.

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 29 October 12 1:15 pm

steptoe wrote:Well there you go,
Scouts Aust have a geocaching comp running for the first half of 2013,
yet rather than find out on a scout newsletter, I find out here -
thanks for the link Hoojar!
It hasn't been 'officially' announced yet, you should hear some more soon!