A good cache container as an investment

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Sky Dog
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

A good cache container as an investment

Post by Sky Dog » 01 September 09 3:21 pm

Just been thinking about the number of caches that I've found with dodgy containers. (e.g. Chinese takeaway containers). In my experience they don't tend to last very long. More often than not, they are also in dodgy locations.

I got to thinking that it's worth spending a little bit more money on a good cache container because it's an investment in time and money. This is especially true where weatherproofness is required.

A good container will last for years and will usually need very little maintenance. In contrast, a cheap container will probably need to be replaced several times in its lifetime. It costs to replace it, plus the contents, plus the fuel to get there, plus the time to go and do it.

In order of preference these are my choices for cache containers:

1. Ammo box (although a bit large for some locations)
2. Sealed off drain pipe with screw top
3. Sistema
1356. Chinese takeaway container
5247. Film cannister

I think it's an edukayshun thing - especially for newbies.
It would good aim to constantly try to improve the quality of the game - better containers, better locations, more accurate co-ords.

Yurt
4500 or more caches found

Re: A good cache container as an investment

Post by Yurt » 01 September 09 4:19 pm

What about other types of screw top containers? Or vitamin pill bottles (not glass) for smaller caches - seem to have good seals. The clip-ons on Sistemas get a bit dodgy over time I've noticed.

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 01 September 09 5:30 pm

Those golbourn valley fruit jars last a long time I've noticed. Nice screw off lid. Just trim off the inside edge of the top, those are murder on notebooks and bags.

stringy

Post by stringy » 01 September 09 9:37 pm

Yurt wrote:The clip-ons on Sistemas get a bit dodgy over time I've noticed.
Oh yes.
One I have found had 2 lids on top of each other and in a plastic bag and the contents were absolutely soaked.

Anyway I hid a geocache today. Which I thought had the most effort put into it.

Captain Terror
7000 or more caches found
7000 or more caches found

Post by Captain Terror » 01 September 09 10:49 pm

Yurt wrote:What about other types of screw top containers? Or vitamin pill bottles (not glass) for smaller caches - seem to have good seals. The clip-ons on Sistemas get a bit dodgy over time I've noticed.
I have used a few plastic pill bottles. a coat of black paint and they're great. However, one of mine fell out of a tree and got hit by the council lawn mower, yeh that didn't end so well. Also anything like them such as peanut butter bottles are good. And mentos gum containers are good also.

Pretty much anything that has some strength to it, is weatherproof and easy-to use will be good.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 01 September 09 11:09 pm

Anything that has had food in it such as the fruit or peanut butter containers mentioned has a greater risk of being nibbled on by rodents or other critters.

I have never had a problem with the clips on the systemas I have put out. Where they are let down is the size of the rubber gasket. I suspect they are not as thick as they used to be (systema cost cutting?) and also have observed they shrink over time and no longer seal the container but even so have had them last a good couple of years exposed to UV degredation and sea spray. In a sheltered spot or painted I've never experienced any moisture ingress.
Some people swear by the lock-n-lock containers. Better than systemas apparently.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 September 09 11:41 pm

Image + Image = :D

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 02 September 09 12:52 pm

Damo. wrote:Some people swear by the lock-n-lock containers. Better than systemas apparently.
Me! Me! I do!

I have a test I use: I put some paper in the container, then put it on a step in the swimming pool, under as many bricks as are needed to hold it under the water. A day later, I remove the bricks, then the lid and see if any water's got in.

Ammo cans and Lock'n'Locks pass this test, Sistema's do OK but let some water in, cheaper containers fail bigtime (i.e. pour out the water rather than checking the paper for dampness!)

Screw-top containers can be good, but they require the finders to replace the lids tightly enough, whereas it's more obvious if a clip-top's not fastened properly. Of course, the best seal in the world isn't effective if a corner of a plastic bag is stuck in it!

As theUMP, I have a gentle suggestion to new hiders who mention their lunchbox or takeaway container that they'll probably need to be performing maintenance sooner and more often than if they use a better container.

Sky Dog
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Sky Dog » 02 September 09 1:01 pm

Love the underwater test idea.

Some locations are really conducive to condensation because they heat and cool substantially. So even the though the container may be hermetic, I think it's the moisture that's ALREADY inside the container that condenses and makes things damp - but certainly not saturated.

Once you get below dew point the moisture will be squeezed out of the air.
Odlids has a cure for that with this cache: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 001ecf7dc8

stringy

Post by stringy » 02 September 09 8:31 pm

Damo. wrote:Anything that has had food in it such as the fruit or peanut butter containers mentioned has a greater risk of being nibbled on by rodents or other critters.
Check out this oneImage Actuaally I replaced this one as it was one of my own
Last edited by stringy on 02 September 09 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

the farmers 5
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 02 September 09 9:02 pm

As "The Ump' stated ,all containers will let a bit a moisture in over time.
I would imagine too,that the colder the climate like the Canberra Brindabella's or Tassy region,that the plastic containers would become brittle over time.Thus making them not last as long.
As for the chinese takeway containers ,you dont see as many around today as say 4 years ago.I think this is because Sistema's etc have become more aware to Geocachers.Plus i think geocachers started to realise if you going to it right ...do it right the first time and not the "cheap" way out with a chinese takeway.Probaly the cost of a "chinese takeway meal" has got something to do with it as well. :shock:

The incredible variety of available hide containers is mindboggling in 2009. =D>
Have a look at this from the experts in the business who are also Sponsors of the Oz Mega Wagga Wagga .The range now is very extensive.

.http://www.sistema.co.nz/

Sky Dog
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Sky Dog » 03 September 09 12:24 am

I wonder if the market is big enough for Sistema to come up with a Geocaching specific container. That would be very interesting.
The geocaching world is aware of Sistema, but are they aware of geocaching.
Maybe we should contact their product marketing people.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 03 September 09 8:09 am

Sky Dog wrote:I wonder if the market is big enough for Sistema to come up with a Geocaching specific container. That would be very interesting.
The geocaching world is aware of Sistema, but are they aware of geocaching.
Maybe we should contact their product marketing people.
Re-read the last couple of lines of the post before yours!

Sky Dog
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by Sky Dog » 03 September 09 11:10 am

I did read the last couple of lines before I posted last time.
I also trawled through the Sistema website.

My point is that there are no containers actually designed and marketed as geocaching containers.

For example some design features that would be nice include:
- thicker plastic so they last longer and don't crack with use
- a more hermetic seal
- different types of camo
- different shapes
- compartments for holding pens/pencils/TBs/coins

If the market was large enough, and if I was the product marketing dude, I'd meet with various geocaching groups to get their input into design features.

... or is there something that I don't know.

the farmers 5
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 03 September 09 1:04 pm

[quote="Sky Dog"]I did read the last couple of lines before I posted last time.
I also trawled through the Sistema website.

[quote]My point is that there are no containers actually designed and marketed as geocaching containers.

For example some design features that would be nice include:
- thicker plastic so they last longer and don't crack with use
- a more hermetic seal
- different types of camo
- different shapes
- compartments for holding pens/pencils/TBs/coins

If the market was large enough, and if I was the product marketing dude, I'd meet with various geocaching groups to get their input into design features.[quote]

I can tell you this from Sistema . When i rang Management in New Zealand about being involved in a big way in Sponsorship for the Oz Mega Wagga Wagga event ,i was expecting many comments.I was expecting many remarks about how they were probaly involved in sponsorship in NZ or elsewhere within Geocaching already ! :D

Almost as unbelievable as it sounds ,no one in Management had ever heard of geocaching.!! :shock: :shock: :shock: So i had to firstly explain the sport/activity ,then the format for our huge program for Mega Event.Within 10 minutes,i had him talked into sponsorship.The manager has since joined up his family team in NZ and got right into it.

That said,......stating that they should design a sistema for geocachers has a few good and bad points.
Firstly, the percentage of Geocachers buying Sistema containers in their whole market would probaly be way less than one percent.You must also remember that the style we all purchase was never intended for hiding in the bush and elements with the rain hitting it.They designed the sistema's for mainly kids lunch box holders etc etc.

But,you never know,i have spoken to the Manager a few times and they are now very keen to expand their range across the world into the Geocaching market.Maybe 2 or 3 containers designed extra thick and a pencil holding area isnt a silly idea. =D>

PS: i can also inform you that the definative answer on the correct pronunciation of "Sistema" is this way. It is not sistemmmma its pronunced as though you were saying...Sisteeeeema :D :D :D