OT - Big Aussie Star Hunt

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Dooghan

OT - Big Aussie Star Hunt

Post by Dooghan » 16 August 09 7:11 pm

Here's something everyone can do. You get to learn about the night sky and also measure the light pollution in your area for science.

http://www.starhunt.net.au/survey/do-the-survey/

The Spindoctors

Re: OT - Big Aussie Star Hunt

Post by The Spindoctors » 16 August 09 11:31 pm

Thanks for the plug Dooghan.

This is something my colleagues at ABC Science have been busy working on for the past three months. I acted as fact checker and provided the initial spark for the project (cost us all a drinking session at the local - long story).

Anyone can get involved - you don't need a telescope or binoculars - in fact you're encouraged NOT to use any.

There are downloadable maps, mp3 clips from Fred Watson and links to heaps of resources. You can also win prizes from the ABC Shop.

I'm sure people like Team Astro will be involved. Hope many more are.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 16 August 09 11:49 pm

Maybe I should go back to Newnes next weekend where I took the night sky photos from a few months ago. Have a new 50mm fixed F1.8 lens to try for sky photos.

Then I can post 2 results. Rydalmere - crap. Newnes - pretty damn good but not as good as really outback.

Dooghan

Post by Dooghan » 17 August 09 5:45 pm

My son and I did the survey last night and it was easy and didn't take long. I listen to the MP3 which was pretty good. My son tried to find the other objects that was part of the sky tour. He got them all apart from the Coalsack and Magellanic Clouds. Can be pretty hard to see but not impossible from my house. I couldn't see them myself last night. I showed him a few other object and just got to spend a bit of time with him. It was a good 1 1/2 hours just laying on the ground and talking. Might go somewhere else tonight and do it again.