Are Nanos real caches?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

“Are Nanos real caches?”.

I hate Nanos. They are the spawn of Satan. Burn down the nano factory and put to death anyone who sells nanos.
28%
I don’t like nanos but hey it is a number.
22%
Fence sitter. Vote Democrat.
8%
Nanos are OK
23%
I like nanos. Nanos are fun.
19%

Total votes: 166

Freddo

Are Nanos real caches?

Post by Freddo » 06 August 09 11:06 am

Here follows the nano rant. Read on if you want.

I am not sure that there is place for a lots of nanos in caching. One or two maybe is fun some times. But lots. Blah. Problem is nanos are bought in packets on the internet. I guess 10 or 20 at a time. Not sure I have never looked. A nano is easy. You can stick one anywhere you like. Consider what you could have placed. Something smart or clever. Something with swaps for the kids. Plus what is it going to cost you in cache maintenance for all those tiny bits of paper that will fill up in no time. Placing a nano might be fun but they are a pain to find and log.

The question is “Are Nanos real caches?”. Have we had enough or do we want more? Vote and leave your opinion.

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Re: Are Nanos real caches?

Post by Team Wibble » 06 August 09 1:02 pm

I don't mind nanos if they add to the hide, if that makes any sense. If the hide is clever because of the way the nano is hidden, then I'm not going to complain. Similarly if the cache is in a really cool location that absolutely cannot accommodate another type of cache, then I'll happily give that a pass if I've been brought to a great location that I might not otherwise have known about.

If its just a nano stuck on a magnetic surface somewhere that's of no note, or in a spot that could easily have had a micro, small or regular cache hidden, then I'm going to get pretty tired of it very quickly.

That said, I'm not entirely guilt free. Team Wibble owns precisely one nano, which is stuck to a magnetic surface in a spot that could accommodate a larger cache. The nano container we received free of charge as an unexpected bonus when purchasing an order from geoswag. We wondered whether we really should put it out or not (hence the name of said cache). We at least tried to pick an interesting location but to be honest we still feel guilty. On our next maintenance trip it will most likely be replaced with a small sistema cache with a log book that's much easier to extract :D

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 06 August 09 1:14 pm

As a relative newcomer I'm not totally qualified to comment but having done a big day last weekend which included a range of nanos as well as normal caches and some camo caches I must say there was a great deal of satisfaction derived from finding clever nanos. When I'm interstate (without geokids) I will take TBs with me and look for caches with TBs to bring back. I wouldn't bother much with nanos then however I do find the "Sistema container at the base of a tree with a few bits of bark over the top" not all that exciting. Mind you some of these are quite old caches which may justify their condition. With the geokids a nano can be a lot of fun even though there are no swaps. So many caches have nothing but detritus in them anyway so there's often not much to swap.

So in summary, there's a place for clever nanos but yes, a good hide with a decent container is probably better.

team waldron
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by team waldron » 06 August 09 1:26 pm

It's a bit like are the Crows a real fooball team. Sure they look like one, and they sometimes play like one, but there's still something that's not quite right about them.

Wibble's, I have a spot for a nano when you swap it over. Tell me how much you want for it.

Go the POWER.

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 06 August 09 1:30 pm

Nanos have a place, but IMHO they are overused.

There are too many that are put out without giving enough thought to how a better hide could be done.

And the needle-in-a-haystack idea of placing a nano in a place with thousands of possible hiding spots is NOT clever, just annoying.

But placed with thought, and used sparingly, they have their place in the variety of the game.

cdmark
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by cdmark » 06 August 09 2:25 pm

Nando's is great. I really like their Peri Peri sauce.

calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by calumphing_four » 06 August 09 2:59 pm

I guess they must be real. I've even found one. :) But not last night :(
I've had one sitting at home for over 12 months, but never felt the need to use it yet. Will probably use it for either:
1. A waypoint in a multi or
2. At the base of a tree in scrub covered by leaves and needles for a cache called "The Freddo Memorial Cache" :twisted: :lol:

aussie-O's
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by aussie-O's » 06 August 09 3:15 pm

I think that nano's that are hidden well, and in a spot that makes hunting for them fun, is a good thing, but personally, i think there are way to many nano's here in perth

gardengorilla
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by gardengorilla » 06 August 09 4:26 pm

I dunno I guess if they are hidden in a spot that requires some thought then yeah. But if they are hidden in a spot, say a huge metal tank...not fun. I don't like nanos in a series.. I don't like nanos in the bush... If I find one once a month or less I am happy but mostly I would rather find a regular size cache with junk in it.

Fuddley
1950 or more caches found
1950 or more caches found
Location: Hastings NZ GPSr: Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr: Tom Tom XL one GPSr: Garmin Etrex Vista

Post by Fuddley » 06 August 09 4:35 pm

To me variety is the spice of life, and while nanos are not my favourite type of cache, I do believe that there is a time and place where they can be used, and used well, they can add an extra challenge to a hunt that would not otherwise be possible. I say Ok if not over used.

Camstal
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: Camstal

Post by Camstal » 06 August 09 5:49 pm

Nano Caches...Who invented them??? :?:

Me, Personally don't like them but I know a few cachers around the traps love em, especially LPC's (aka Lamp Post Caches). I don't like the micro's either, especially the ones that are just sticking out in the open.

That's Just My Opinion...I know a few people will Agree to Disagree about this Topic!

Thanks,
Camstal

winterdragon
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by winterdragon » 06 August 09 6:14 pm

Like most of the other respondees, I'm happy with nano caches when used in a way that adds something to the hide, such as the handful of cleverly camo'ed nanos I've found. I can also enjoy a nano in a fantastic location that really won't work as a larger container or a multi, but these situations are rare.

To me, indiscriminately using nanos is akin to throwing eclipse containers into a bush - it just reflects a lack of thought and effort put into the hide. I know opinions vary, but I prefer quality over quantity (even when I'm on a numbers run...)

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 06 August 09 6:30 pm

With apologies to Dr Seuss ....

That nano-cache, that nano-cache
I do not like that nano-cache.
Would you find it in a tree?
I would not, could not in a tree.
Would you find it by the sea?
I would not, could not by the sea.
I would not find it on a bridge,
I would not find one near a ridge.
Not on a sign, Not down a mine,
Not on a lock, or under rock.
I would not find one in a bin
Or hidden in Eclipse mint tin.
I would not find one near a loo
I still can't find them with a clue.
That nano-cache, that nano-cache
I do not like that nano-cache.

(Personally, I don't mind them when used sparingly and with wit and wisdom ... but only then.)

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 06 August 09 6:45 pm

I agree with most of the posts. They have a place but are often overused. I am also disappointed when I find a container (nano or micro) in a location that could have accomodated a larger cache. If it will take an ammo tin, why use an eclipse container?

That said they are often the only real option for inner city/high muggle areas. Though you need to question why it is you have been brought to that particular street corner - is there a reason for the hide. Or is it just that someone has hidden something in a spot to make it a challenge to retrieve unseen?

McPhan
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by McPhan » 06 August 09 7:01 pm

team waldron wrote:It's a bit like are the Crows a real fooball team. Sure they look like one, and they sometimes play like one, but there's still something that's not quite right about them.
Now that's funny coz it's true.