First timer questions

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
nitro.vo

First timer questions

Post by nitro.vo » 01 August 09 10:36 pm

Howdy.

I'm planning on going out tomorrow to find my first cache(s).
Couple things I'm not clear on though.

With the items, what sort of things should i take to put in the caches

What's the FTF, TNLN etc acronyms I'm seeing everywhere?

And am I expected to write my name or something on some paper or a log book in the cache or is it all just done online.

I've looked around and read the wiki but couldn't find answers for these things. Hopefully this is the right section to be asking too.

Cheers

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found

Re: First timer questions

Post by SamCarter » 01 August 09 10:52 pm

Good luck with your first search.

Swaps are generally of the order of $2 shop kinds of things, sometimes better ... and sometimes worse! The general principle is to "trade equal" (or make your swap in even better). Often the swaps will be kids' toys, but you may get stationery, tools, odds and ends. Think about what you swap in: it needs to be something that isn't going to spoil or be unsafe for other finders (so don't put in food because it attracts animals, and be mindful of things that are vulnerable to getting wet!).

FTF = First to Find (the triumphant cry of a cacher who is the first person to find the cache after it is placed). This gets scrawled by the person experiencing the joy of a nice blank log book!
TNLN = Took Nothing Left Nothing (which means you didn't make any trades)
TFTC = Thanks for the Cache

Yes, there's usually a log book and you should sign your name (caching name). It is THIS log that is the proof you really found it. Then you also sign online, and write something about your experience, so that the whole world (including the cache hider) can know that you found it.

Just make sure you have your GPS set with the right datum (WGS84). You may also want to pick some easier caches to start off with (go for ones with low terrain and difficulty values: terrain is to do with how hard the countryside is getting to the cache, difficulty is to do with how cunningly hidden the cache is to actually find once you get there).

You can also look for a nearby caching "guru" in your area who might be willing to give you some extra help if you want.

Above all, have fun ... and be warned: this can be addictive.

nitro.vo

Post by nitro.vo » 01 August 09 11:19 pm

Awesome man, thanks.

I'm pretty keen for this :D

SamCarter

Post by SamCarter » 02 August 09 12:17 am

To find a guru try
http://geocaching.com.au/search/gurus/
(for future reference, it's under the "help" tab on the www.geocaching.com.au page)
This will help you find cachers who have done a fair bit of finding, and who are willing to help those starting out.

Ozibags
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Ozibags » 02 August 09 12:41 am

You may also come across Travel Bugs and Geocoins in caches. Travel bugs (TB's) are dogtags with a code, attached to something. Owners release these into caches with a specific 'mission' which may be written with the TB, or will be posted on the GC.com website. Geocoins also have codes on them and are treated much the same as TB's. The owners want these to be moved from cache to cache by finders, to achieve their missions. With these, you don't need to do a swap. Also, I usually write down the code for later logging if I find one of these (just in case I put it into another cache on the same day). If you log one of these, DONT mention the code number in your log on the website, or include the code number in photos.

These 'travellers' add more fun to geocaching.

I hope you have success finding some caches - and like Sam Carter said, Have Fun :)

nitro.vo

Post by nitro.vo » 02 August 09 4:45 pm

My attempt wasn't successful.

Still fun, apart from being frustrating from not finding it.

Oh well. Still got a few more local ones but it sucks not having a car!

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 02 August 09 5:54 pm

Which cache did you attempt? Maybe someone can give you a clue as to how to go about a search or point you in the right direction to an easy one to do first up.

nitro.vo

Post by nitro.vo » 02 August 09 6:26 pm

tronador

Post by tronador » 02 August 09 6:51 pm

Hello again.
I've had a look at the cache page and while I haven't done this one myself here are a few tips as to how I would go about finding it.
Before you start make sure that your GPS is set to WGS84. If it is using the wrong datum then your co- ords will be out, hence making your search all that much more difficult. If all is in order, then good.
First of all the cache is listed as small, which means it will probably be a small plastic container, maybe 100ml-400ml in size. Like a lunch box container. It may be painted to camouflage it, possibly black or green or brown but quite often they are not painted. The difficulty and terrain are each 1.5, which tells you it probably located on fairly level terrain, you won't have to do any scrub bashing. The difficulty is also 1.5. This is generally an easy cache to find. the notes also tell you it's family friendly which usually means adults with children should be able to find it. If you decrypt the hints the biggest clue is in capital letters which say MAGNETIC. The cache could have a magnet attached and there fore be stuck to some sort of metal at Ground Zero. Its a lookout so maybe get down low and take a look underneath.
Visit the gallery and look at the pictures, they can sometimes be useful. Read past logs, some cachers reveal cryptic hints in what they write.
And if in real doubt you can always contact the owner or a past finder for additional clues.
cheers and good luck :D

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 02 August 09 6:57 pm

When you start out, always decrypt the clues- hit the blue Decrypt link. The key word there is Magnetic, it is in caps. So look around any metal structures at or near where your GPS takes you. Look or feel up and in any pipes with open ends, especially those pointing down with the end close to the ground. Look carefully around any girders or pylons on bridges or walkways. Remember, the hider doesnt want the cache found accidently, so it will be hidden. A small mirror can help you out with searching. Also, you may grab it and not realise, as most cachers use pretty strong magnets to hold magnetic caches in place. It also pays to read the previous logs of other people. Sometimes there may be a clue in there, which may not make sense when you read it, but does when you are out looking.

andiamo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by andiamo » 02 August 09 10:07 pm

Small magnetic caches can also sometimes be hidden inside fence/sign posts where the caps come off easily :twisted: