2009 Cyber Flash Mob Event

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Fuddley
1950 or more caches found
Location: Hastings NZ GPSr: Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr: Tom Tom XL one GPSr: Garmin Etrex Vista

2009 Cyber Flash Mob Event

Post by Fuddley » 25 July 09 9:06 am

Now for something a little different, I have just published a new event. All will be welcome check it out at http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga1527
See you there

Fuddley
Location: Hastings NZ GPSr: Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr: Tom Tom XL one GPSr: Garmin Etrex Vista

Re: 2009 Cyber Fash Mob Event

Post by Fuddley » 31 July 09 5:27 pm

Hi everyone Thanks for the great response so far.

to answer a couple of the questions that have been raised.

1. the coords of S00 00.000 E000 00.000 were the default coords on the form for hiding a cache (event)at the time I did not give it any consideration just left it as it was. If it is to cause any real issues let me know either via a PM or through the forums and I will look at changing it.
2. The reason it is listed in QLD was to get it onto the daily email (i was going to move it from State to State to expose it to everyone) thanks to C@W it is now on the email as a note, so I can now take it back to Locationless

Thanks again looking forward to the event, if you have any further question please contact me
Richard
aka Fuddley

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 31 July 09 6:31 pm

As a locationless I guess when we "find" it we can log it as the coordinates from where we were when we were on the forums (or roughly if you don't want to reveal where you live!)?

GhostGums
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by GhostGums » 31 July 09 6:35 pm

How about to the nearest 0.1 of a minute. If people can plot roughly where they were, then can use the map plot function to see generally where people come from.

Fuddley

Post by Fuddley » 31 July 09 7:11 pm

Good point GG I can add a note to the cache page asking that people input approx coords when they log their attendance.

Fuddley

Post by Fuddley » 31 July 09 8:12 pm

Breaking News: Gibbo003 has donated a NT geocoin to this event, to be in the draw for this coin, all you have to do is log your attendance (as per the conditions of the cache) within 24 hours of the close of the event. As well as this, we will donate a FTF coin to the first person who posts a relevant reply to the topic that is the event (i.e. The first post after my post on the night - post must be relevant to the topic)

Special thanks to Gibbo003 for donating a coin.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 31 July 09 8:17 pm

Fuddley wrote:Breaking News: Gibbo003 has donated a NT geocoin to this event, to be in the draw for this coin, all you have to do is log your attendance (as per the conditions of the cache) within 24 hours of the close of the event. As well as this, we will donate a FTF coin to the first person who posts a relevant reply to the topic that is the event (i.e. The first post after my post on the night - post must be relevant to the topic)

So would the admins, shutting down the board for 30 seconds or so, but still being able to post, be eligible?
No?
What about if we deleted the first responses and then put our own in?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

gibbo003
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by gibbo003 » 31 July 09 8:41 pm

Photo of the LE Gold NT coin you will be playing for.

Richary

Post by Richary » 31 July 09 10:29 pm

Probably lucky we are on the new hardware. I can imagine 100 users all hitting refresh every couple of seconds waiting for the first post!

Fuddley

Post by Fuddley » 01 August 09 8:06 am

caughtatwork wrote:
Fuddley wrote:Breaking News: Gibbo003 has donated a NT geocoin to this event, to be in the draw for this coin, all you have to do is log your attendance (as per the conditions of the cache) within 24 hours of the close of the event. As well as this, we will donate a FTF coin to the first person who posts a relevant reply to the topic that is the event (i.e. The first post after my post on the night - post must be relevant to the topic)

So would the admins, shutting down the board for 30 seconds or so, but still being able to post, be eligible?
No?
What about if we deleted the first responses and then put our own in?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Wouldn't it be nice to have God like powers

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Fuddley

Post by Fuddley » 01 August 09 8:11 am

richary wrote:Probably lucky we are on the new hardware. I can imagine 100 users all hitting refresh every couple of seconds waiting for the first post!
This is part of the reason for running this event (to give the new servers a workout) I did discuss it with Craigrat before I published it, and he assured me that we will not crash the system. :twisted: :twisted:

Camstal
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: Camstal

Post by Camstal » 01 August 09 5:48 pm

Question out of Curiosity...?

How many users to be on at the same time would it take to crash these servers?

Thanks,
Camstal

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 01 August 09 8:10 pm

Camstal wrote:Question out of Curiosity...?

How many users to be on at the same time would it take to crash these servers?

Thanks,
Camstal
I really don't want to find out!..

It would be substantially more than what we'd be expecting on the day of this event.

I'll post some load stats after the event for those who want to see the raw horsepower that their donations has given us.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 August 09 8:20 pm

It would be unlikely to crash at any number.
It would run like cold molasses when the number of threads gets too high (no idea what the number is).
At the moment we use around 20% of a single CPU and we have 4 cores, so we're fine as far as CPU use goes.
In terms of RAM, we use around 1 to 1.5GB and we have 4GB, so we're fine there too.
It will be an interesting experiment as much as an interesting cache.

TeamGeoPlesk
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found

Post by TeamGeoPlesk » 03 August 09 9:04 pm

Hehe, thats embarrassing... here i was wondering why no-one else was online for the event :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: