Using Mapsource etc to find caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Do you have accurate mapping on your GPS and use it to find caches?

Yes I do, and I'm glad I have it.
50%
Yes I do, but I wish I didn't
No votes
No I don't, but I wish I did.
24%
No I don't, and I don't intend to.
26%

Total votes: 34

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Using Mapsource etc to find caches

Post by Rabbitto » 14 July 04 12:21 am

My Brother in Law has just recently acquired the Mapsource CD to use with his Garmin. I have had a look at the software on his PC and plotted a few of our recently found caches on it to check its accuracy. The ones I have checked are fairly accurate down to being able to tell almost exactly where a cache lies.<p>

We have an etrex which simply has the basemap of Australia on it. When we are chasing down a cache, it can give us an idea of what suburb to go to and roughly where it is but no fine detail.<p>

One aspect of caching we have enjoyed is trying to navigate our way to a cache site and second guessing which side of a river or freeway or hill that the cache is on as we approach GZ. I am thinking that if we were to purchase and install the accurate mapping to our GPSr then part of the thrill of the hunt would be ruined. On the other hand it may sometimes ease frustration and add to the enjoyment of caching in a way that we have yet to experience. <p>

My question is - How many people have it installed or not and how do they feel the installatiion (or lack of) enhances or detracts from their enjoyment of the sport?

embi
400 or more spectacular views seen

Re: Using Mapsource etc to find caches

Post by embi » 14 July 04 12:36 am

Rabbitto wrote:My Brother in Law has just recently acquired the Mapsource CD to use with his Garmin. I have had a look at the software on his PC and plotted a few of our recently found caches on it to check its accuracy. The ones I have checked are fairly accurate down to being able to tell almost exactly where a cache lies.<p>
It can get fairly close but I find that as i get close to the cache I still use the arrow screen. To me the arrow is more of an idea of where the cache is at GZ.
Rabbitto wrote: One aspect of caching we have enjoyed is trying to navigate our way to a cache site and second guessing which side of a river or freeway or hill that the cache is on as we approach GZ. I am thinking that if we were to purchase and install the accurate mapping to our GPSr then part of the thrill of the hunt would be ruined. On the other hand it may sometimes ease frustration and add to the enjoyment of caching in a way that we have yet to experience. <p>

My question is - How many people have it installed or not and how do they feel the installatiion (or lack of) enhances or detracts from their enjoyment of the sport?
I used to use the basic yellow etrex and sometimes it was very frustrating to be going back and forth looking for the cache.

The maps have made it easier for me to work out which roads to take to get to the cache and thats about it. I dont think it makes it easier to locate the cache when at GZ.

I'd say go for the maps. Its great when you arent caching and need to find an address or something. I have used it countless times for that.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 14 July 04 12:06 pm

Pesonally I can't justify the $$$ required for a) A decent mapping GPS, and b) The mapping software required.

I still think that a $15 street directory (with the UTM corords from my Palm) is the cheapest way to navigate to a cache. If I want to "cheat" and make it slightly easier to pinpoint the cache on a map for car navigation, I'll use Cheatisearch on the gc.com.au website before heading out.

I think that having mapping in the GPS would only save a few minutes per caching day, if anything, so it's hard to justify. But of course those with it rave about it.

You can buy a second eTrex or new ForeTrex for the cost a map program.

EcoDave :)

Cached
2500 or more caches found

Post by Cached » 14 July 04 12:53 pm

My new Legend is an American one, so I have decided it is worth the $$ to fork out for MetroGuide Australia. I've ordered it from Alex and will hopefully have it tomorrow or Friday (kid with new toy)!!

One of the bonuses that I can see is that it will give me maps for areas I have no hope of obtaining elsewhere. I'm pretty well stocked for SA, but am travelling to Jindabyne in a couple of weeks and had no access to maps for the area at all - and now I will.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 14 July 04 2:46 pm

Like others I use it mainly to work out how to get to a cache. Ozi on the laptop connected to the eTrex for moving map as well when out 4WDing. It doesn't usually tell you exactly where a cache is, though for some urban ones would get you to the obvious spot.

As an example last year work sent me to Auckland so I went a couple of days early. I plotted roughly on a paper map the city/suburban caches which got me close enough to follow the arrow, but with no maps of the surrounding area I was trying to follow the arrow to something 10km away and had great trouble finding the right roads. Very frustrating!

Derringer

Post by Derringer » 14 July 04 3:29 pm

When looking at a mapping GPS I found that
1) you have to use proprietary maps - you cannot upload maps of your own and
2) The proprietary maps lack sufficient detail.

To overcome this I use a non mapping GPS and a PDA loaded with
OziexplorerCE
I can load any topographic map I own onto it
I can link it to my GPS for real time tracking and
I hold all cache descriptions (GPX) on it as well.

This combination works well for Team Derringer and having detailed topographic maps with you as you cache saves time and effort,
especially on the long multi caches.
You can find the correct road, walking track, river bank etc to follow immediately.
K&M

Ebenezer
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by Ebenezer » 16 July 04 11:18 am

I don't have a mapping GPS, but I check out the cache in Ozi Explorer (either at home on my PC, or on my beepy diary using Ozi CE) before I go. When I get closer to GZ I use the arrow on my GPS (etrex venture).

I find a map quite useful in finding the best way to get to the general area, but even the 1:10,000 maps I have are nowhere near detailed enough to lead me right to the cache.

teamkittens

Post by teamkittens » 16 July 04 11:36 am

We use an eTrex summit hooked up to a laptop running GSAK and oziexplorer with 25k/100k topo maps when driving around to get to the general area of a cache. An ipaq with GPXsonar and OziCE with a few relevant maps helps when on foot.

EcoTeam
200 or more found
200 or more found
Twitter: EEVblog

Post by EcoTeam » 16 July 04 2:12 pm

I'm curious to know why quite a few people seem to use laptops and moving map displays in the car etc to get to a cache location.
I can understand the novelty factor, but is it really useful and worth all the hassle?

A days caching for me involves getting say a printout of the general area with all the caches marked (from OziExplorer) and then the designated navigator (usually non-driver) does a quick 30second plot in the street directory and directs to the cache spot using that.
If I really want to prepare I'll check the exact cache locations on cheati-search and either write them down or memorise the spot on the map. Not hard with say half a dozen or so caches.

Taking a laptop would be pain for me, I only do it if I know I need to decode/view some crytic puzzle or something on the run.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 16 July 04 3:33 pm

We're recent converts to laptop touring, and the acid test was a recent trip to Auckland where Mama Bear had the choice of the laptop running TUMONZ (The Ultimate Map Of New Zealand) or the street directory. The laptop won.

Less important in our home city, where a quick look for a nearby street on the PC is enough to get us on the road, but when out in the sticks, the little symbol that's telling us where we are is great. Plus, all the caches are listed on it, so we can do some ad-hoc caching in the general direction we're heading.

I also have maps on the Palm, handy for a quick look at general directions, and for when I don't have the laptop with me. (And only those without a PDA would even think to ask "What about if you don't have your Palm with you?"!)

Oh, and the other reason: because the technology is there!

bigmickb
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by bigmickb » 16 July 04 6:33 pm

<p>I use the Mapsource data that came with my Garmin Unit. I find having those maps on the GPS is great for getting me the nearest carparking spot, however once I'm out of the car I find I'm using the GPS arrow just like any other GPS unit.</p>

<p>I also realise the Mapsource is kinda pricey. I'm just lucky that work 'sponsered' me a copy. Otherwise I'd battle on without it.</p>

<p>I generally don't bother taking the laptop out with me unless I know I'm going to need it.</p>

Navigull
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by Navigull » 16 July 04 9:58 pm

Mapping is the way to go!

Like Bear_Left, I have Tumonz on the PC (laptop if needed) and on my Garmin 76S I have BrentC's NZ Streets(www.nzgpsmaps.com ) loaded and I use both extensively.

Tumonz mostly even shows me which side of the street or stream the waypoint lies and recently, as an experiment, I did six caches in a row without using the GPSr at all. I just took a printout with the waypoint plotted although I needed the clues decrypting for most of them.

I got so used to trusting TumonZ I blindly went to the wrong side of a motorway more recenty and had to drive 20 kms up and back to reach the other side, so it's not infallible, but I sure would not want to be without.

I initially set up the laptop for use in the car with power supply etc. but I have hardly used it since loading BrentC's streetmaps on the Garmin.

I was hoping to visit WA later in the year( now subject to recovering from a broken leg) and was overjoyed to find Devar had produced some Garmin maps for that area, so I would not suffer withdrawal symtoms.

ToolkiT

Post by ToolkiT » 19 July 04 2:26 pm

EcoTeam wrote:I'm curious to know why quite a few people seem to use laptops and moving map displays in the car etc to get to a cache location.
I can understand the novelty factor, but is it really useful and worth all the hassle?

A days caching for me involves getting say a printout of the general area with all the caches marked (from OziExplorer) and then the designated navigator (usually non-driver) does a quick 30second plot in the street directory and directs to the cache spot using that.
If I really want to prepare I'll check the exact cache locations on cheati-search and either write them down or memorise the spot on the map. Not hard with say half a dozen or so caches.

Taking a laptop would be pain for me, I only do it if I know I need to decode/view some crytic puzzle or something on the run.

We sometimes do it even more low-tech.
I look at the rough location on the maps on GC.com then drive there (with or without of my navigation system aka MrsT) and use the arrow to get closer.. I normally have to drive around the block to find a good parking spot but anywhere withing 400-500 meter will do (gives me some exersize too) from there on we go on foot and play follow the arrow...

Sometimes that gives you unexpected obstacles, but that is part of the fun..

Having said that I would love a Garmin iQue palm/sat nav hybrid. but like Dave said, cant justify the dosts.. actually I can, but MrsT calls BS on me all the time and I'm afraid she is right ;)

Some cachers will say follow the arrow is too simple and wont get you there quicker, but during the 4x4 weekend I beat the crowds by bushwhacking straight to the cache (meanwhile scaling a rocky hill) while the rest of the gang followed the track around the hill... :lol:

wyoming_wombats

Post by wyoming_wombats » 22 July 04 8:37 am

I don't have a laptop or loaded mapsource to a GPS but we do have Mapsource loaded on computers at work. It is useful to map and print locations using this as you can get (say) 2 maps - one to get an idea on how to get near the location without flipping through the street directory whilst driving and one to get close to the cache. Mapsource is only as good as a street directory - it doesn't show topography etc so you can still be in for a rude shock when you get to within 200m of GZ. Having used Mapsource this way, It still doesn't give accurate enough plots to just "walk up to" a cache. Try using this method to claim "ZFX2 - Game Ladies", it won't work. I've tried.

ian-and-penny
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by ian-and-penny » 22 July 04 9:48 am

EcoTeam wrote:I'm curious to know why quite a few people seem to use laptops and moving map displays in the car etc to get to a cache location.
I use my PDA and moving map quite extensively, especially when Geocaching. I even take my laptop on extended trips - for route planning etc. (PP&PPPPP)

Its the "paperless" alternative to using a street directory or map. An added advantage (amongst many too numerous to list) is that your position is always shown on the map.

(Much better than some navigators I have known continuously turning the map upside down, scratching her head then pointing to the map (that you can't read coz you can't take your eyes off the road & her finger is in the way anyway) & saying "Hmmm, i think we're here." or "turn left here" 20 miliseconds before the turn and then saying "oops that should have been a right turn.") :roll: