CHRISTMAS CACHING TRIP TO TASMANIA

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
MADSTARS
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

CHRISTMAS CACHING TRIP TO TASMANIA

Post by MADSTARS » 10 July 09 9:33 pm

Hey guys,

We are going to head to Tasmania for Christmas on a sight seeing / caching trip.

We are still undecided if we should drive the RAV4 down (Nelson Bay) and tent it at caravan parks or we should fly in and hire a camper van.

So if anyone has tried either your suggestions and experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Question 2...

What are the must see sights and the must do caches in Tasmania....?

We want to do some awesome caches and see some amazing sights....

Who better to ask than the ultimate travellers of all.... Geocachers.

Thanks
The Madstar Family

JABs
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by JABs » 11 July 09 7:31 am

Hi ya Madstars,
Larst year my daughter and made a flying visit to Hobart and stayed for only 36 hours. IMHO what a great place to visit and I kick myself that we did not have longer to explore.
The cachers that we meet where very helpful (CPigs) even provided us with a list of must see caches/places, was give a bed for the night and they even managed to put on a meet and greet event for us.
Lets hope that some of the Tassie cachers get in contact with you and don't limit yourself to just one part as we did.
Good luck and I know you will enjoy it.
JABs.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 11 July 09 9:00 am

We have done it both ways :lol: and the way to go is fly and hire :wink: it does not work out to much dearer :shock: and you have your home on your back :)
As for must do caches most all are must do's :!: if you have time.

Cheesy pigs
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by Cheesy pigs » 11 July 09 10:07 am

let us know the dates when you will be here, theres a good chance we will throw you an event, both the cheesy pigs are shift workers, so we should be able to guide you around Hobart at some stage of your stay

Black_Swans

Re: CHRISTMAS CACHING TRIP TO TASMANIA

Post by Black_Swans » 22 July 09 1:28 am

Hey Madstars,

We'll be caching/traveling in Tasmania over Christmas too, maybe we'll run into you at a cache or two! We were thinking of driving over from our Adelaide/Barossa home base, but decided on a fly-n-hire option. Phew, that ferry is expensive, and all the petrol, etc.

We did decide on accommodation with beds, etc though as we'll have a bunch of muggle rellys in tow... they'll be geocachers by the end of it!

Cheers,

Black Swans :D

Hoojar
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Hoojar » 22 July 09 9:41 am

Chip and I normally get down to Tassie at least twice a year. It is our favourite place to have holidays. We're headed down in October for two weeks to raft the Franklin River :-) :-) :-)

Last November we spent almost two weeks driving around the state and caching. I did all of the numbers before we left and from Wollongong it was cheaper to fly down and hire a vehicle than to drive down and go across on the boat.

smerrall

Post by smerrall » 22 July 09 11:39 am

Looks like there'll be lots of us down there. God willing I should get there on the 30th as I've agreed to leave Sydney on the 26th for the 4th time (will I never learn) and have a little sail to Hobart.

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 22 July 09 11:46 am

I would suggest posting a similar note in the Tassie forums. They are a friendly bunch and a few of them may even be available for a days caching with you if you would like.

From my point of view I would suggest a trip up Mt Welligton for the views alone. Hopefully you don't have to search for a cache in the snow like I did! I can also recomend a cache on the bay called something like "The Russians are coming".

TaylorBrats

Post by TaylorBrats » 24 July 09 3:20 pm

There's one on the way to Scottsdale that takes you upto an old lookout, which the kids and I enjoyed when we were there in Feb this year. And one right near the caravan park we were staying at, that took us to this lovely little boardwalked rainforest type area, that we would have otherwise completely missed!

We also did a library one in Devonport (which inspired our only cache to date!) One outside the Chocolate place on the way to Devonport. A few nice ones around Launie, particularly in the Gorge. Down near Huon, there was one called (something like) Return to the Village of... - Can't remember, and we didnt find it, but the miniture town was rather quaint. Down near Hastings Caves hubbie found his first cache. A bit south of Hobart the boy searched for the piratey themed one (which we WILL find next time we're down there!)...

Oh there were many, some found, some not, but all took us to great spots, and we loved every minute of it!

gardengorilla
100 or more tracks walked

Post by gardengorilla » 01 August 09 2:50 pm

smerrall wrote:Looks like there'll be lots of us down there. God willing I should get there on the 30th as I've agreed to leave Sydney on the 26th for the 4th time (will I never learn) and have a little sail to Hobart.
Hey smerrall, are you a skipper? do you need extra mates? We were thinking about doing a Christmas Tassie trip too as a family but my son and husband have taken to sailing and would be absolutely thrilled for the experience.
io_sono_affamato (my oldest son, 15) has been sailing since January and my husband (El Cacholoco) has recently completed a competent crew course. We own a redwitch and enjoy sailing the Swan so far here in Perth.
Anyway, just a thought. I think we'll fly and rent a caravan...

tronador

Post by tronador » 01 August 09 5:44 pm

gardengorilla wrote:
smerrall wrote:Looks like there'll be lots of us down there. God willing I should get there on the 30th as I've agreed to leave Sydney on the 26th for the 4th time (will I never learn) and have a little sail to Hobart.
Hey smerrall, are you a skipper? do you need extra mates? We were thinking about doing a Christmas Tassie trip too as a family but my son and husband have taken to sailing and would be absolutely thrilled for the experience.
io_sono_affamato (my oldest son, 15) has been sailing since January and my husband (El Cacholoco) has recently completed a competent crew course. We own a redwitch and enjoy sailing the Swan so far here in Perth.
I have a feeling he's talking about the Sydney to Hobart Yacht race.

gardengorilla

Post by gardengorilla » 03 August 09 12:07 am

tronador wrote:
gardengorilla wrote:
I have a feeling he's talking about the Sydney to Hobart Yacht race.
Yup, I know still interested :D

DnA!
1300 or more caches found
1300 or more caches found

Post by DnA! » 14 August 09 11:02 am

Take a look here: http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopi ... 5&start=30
I have published a list of all caches that received a vote for "Cache of the Year 2008".

backPAQer

Post by backPAQer » 15 August 09 3:26 pm

last time we were in Tassie for xmas, renting a car was almost impossible (so get in early)...we found the absolute last vehicle in Hobart which was way up the river...but it was an 18-seater minibus...twas an awesome find!!! We just picked up hitchhikers everywhere and had a party on wheels...

...now imagine geocaching that way!

If someone wants to commit to a day...I'd be very tempted to spend a day or two cruising the caches.

My favoured approach would be fly to Dev or Laun...get vehicle, go nuts heading south...drop vehicle in Hobart and fly out...within 24 to 48 hours. Assault mode. :twisted: