Short log in the field or a detailed logs days later ?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Just pick one !

Timly short logs. (TFTC) Move trackable along
11%
Detailed late logs, Just discover trackable, not move them
58%
I like Candy !
31%

Total votes: 36

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Short log in the field or a detailed logs days later ?

Post by covert » 02 July 09 2:15 pm

Did some caching on Saturday and did not have time to log it until now because it takes time to write detailed logs. As a consequence 2 of the trackables I picked up got discovered elsewhere to the location they where meant to be, the location I left them. Trying to decide what course of action to take, I enjoy trackables and helping them on there way, I also like taking pictures with them. But I can't do both, write interesting logs and have them timely.

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 02 July 09 2:57 pm

I voted for the second option, but think that there isn't really that greater rush to move TB's through cache logs when out in the field, and if there is, then you always have the option to grab the TB from the current holder.
It only takes 2 seconds to look if someone has firstly even logged on in the last couple of days (and at the same time see if they are from interstate, in which case their logging could be delayed), and secondly if they have even logged the cache. If neither have happened, then there is usually a good chance that they just haven't had the chance to log yet, and that when they do, they will move the TB around as needed.

Some people seem to get stressed if they pick up a TB but it doesn't appear in a cache yet. I just don't get why they need to be so worried :? Give the person a chance to log and then if they don't drop the TB off or acknowledge it, follow up with an e-mail.

It's not life or death really, but that's just my view :D

Rabbitto
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Rabbitto » 02 July 09 3:21 pm

Used to have the same problem but I stopped putting trackables out on the same day that I picked them up and problem went away.

oldfella
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by oldfella » 02 July 09 4:22 pm

When I started in this change of life experience in late 2007 I sought some assistance and advice from a few cachers I knew. Their advice, through experience and some not so nice comments from finders of their trackable placements, was not to place a trackable out on the same day or weekend found. Log the find first then on placing them out again place a note in the log how long it will take to actually log the placement if not going toa have PC access the same day or night. I have found that this works well. But of course I suppose it all depends on the experience of the placer and finder. Time teaches us all.

Crisp image
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by Crisp image » 02 July 09 5:34 pm

Option 2 for me with the exception I dont discover a travkable. I log if I take it and place it but that iss all. As for detailed logs, I get excited when I get the email and opem it in anticipation to read "TNLN TFTC" How dissapointment! I would rather read intresting logs adding the whole expieriance. I place my caches in imortant places to me and provide some background info to why they ther were placed there. I dont just place one because I can. If I did that I would expect the TFTF log.
Regards
Crisp Image

jusojara
3000 or more caches found

Post by jusojara » 02 July 09 6:01 pm

Crisp image wrote:Option 2 for me with the exception I dont discover a travkable. I log if I take it and place it but that iss all. As for detailed logs, I get excited when I get the email and opem it in anticipation to read "TNLN TFTC" How dissapointment! I would rather read intresting logs adding the whole expieriance. I place my caches in imortant places to me and provide some background info to why they ther were placed there. I dont just place one because I can. If I did that I would expect the TFTF log.
Regards
Crisp Image
<p>I agree. There is nothing more annoying to me than "Found with.... TFTC"<p>I too place a cache in a spot of signifigance and love to hear about the finders experience.

Rigger64
950 or more random things achieved
950 or more random things achieved

Post by Rigger64 » 02 July 09 6:37 pm

jusojara wrote:
Crisp image wrote:Option 2 for me with the exception I dont discover a travkable. I log if I take it and place it but that iss all. As for detailed logs, I get excited when I get the email and opem it in anticipation to read "TNLN TFTC" How dissapointment! I would rather read intresting logs adding the whole expieriance. I place my caches in imortant places to me and provide some background info to why they ther were placed there. I dont just place one because I can. If I did that I would expect the TFTF log.
Regards
Crisp Image
<p>I agree. There is nothing more annoying to me than "Found with.... TFTC"<p>I too place a cache in a spot of signifigance and love to hear about the finders experience.
I use to worry about picking up a Trackable & moving it on as quick as i could but now if i pick up a trackable it gets loged that night When i get home or at worst the next day &If it is in my possation for a week or so it will get placed usuly with in two weeks @ Most.
& i love to see a good log not just a "Log to follow" now that realy pulls my chain

CraigRat
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!
Twitter: CraigRat
Facebook: http://facebook.com/CraigRat

Post by CraigRat » 02 July 09 7:10 pm

Rigger64 wrote:i love to see a good log not just a "Log to follow" now that realy pulls my chain
Because we all know that the detailed log hardly ever happens!

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 02 July 09 7:21 pm

Since we have got wireless mobile logs seem to have grown a little, i/we were guilty of short logs after road trips :oops: but driving between caches gives time to log in country areas :wink: most people think that is heaps expensive :shock: but it is quiet a surprise that text is cheap, photoshop is handy or another resizing program so uploaded photos can be the right size to be cheap on data :D you can make a 640 by 480 photo to about 75kb for cheap data useage.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 02 July 09 9:35 pm

I was lucky to have the work 3G supplied access while in Port Macquarie last week so I could log finds each night. Otherwise I would have had to go into Maccas every few days!

That said to address some of the other points in this thread, I usually won't rehide a trackable until I have logged it as found as this also gives me a chance to discover if it might have a particular mission. That might mean it doesn't get rehidden until the next weekend or even the following one if the weather is bad.

Secondly, there is nothing to stop you writing a short "Found it - more when I get home" style log if you are somewhere with limited connectivity. Then edit the log when you get a chance. Though I have had those from overseas cachers on mine that then never get the "more" part.

I will generally try and write an interesting log if the experience warrants it. If the cache was a crap drive by placed there for no obvious reason and surrounded by rubbish then it will generally get a short log. But that has been covered in other topics.

Also if you need web access while travelling and don't have 3G etc, then libraries are often a good choice. As long as you are a member of your local library a lot will let you use their PCs for free.

Lucy

Post by Lucy » 03 July 09 9:59 am

Rabbitto wrote:Used to have the same problem but I stopped putting trackables out on the same day that I picked them up and problem went away.
x2

crew 153
9000 or more caches found
9000 or more caches found

Post by crew 153 » 03 July 09 10:18 am

Similarly I have problems when I place a TB in a cache while away for the weekend.

I have had instances where the TB has been grabbed from me before I have had time to log my find. This means that the TB never appears in the cache that I placed it. I always write in the logbook that I have put the TB there.

It only takes a bit of courtesy to send an email to the cacher who they intend grab it off to let them log it into the cache first.