'Inappropriate' cache locations?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Geodes

Post by Geodes » 07 July 09 2:56 pm

The arguments about the suitability of playground caches all tend to be rather solipsistic. Perhaps the feelings of other users of the facilities should be taken into account as well.

Do you think that the parents of the kids that use these areas would approve of them being made a target for "weirdos" with funny-looking mobile phones?

Yurt
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found

Post by Yurt » 07 July 09 3:15 pm

PesceVerde wrote:To the OP: Shame on you for stepping on protected vegetation :? :!:
The cache in question was behind a lowish fence - there wasn't any particular vegetation where I walked (and the dozens of geocachers before me) but I think it was put up to stop people taking shortcuts and keeping them on the paths. If not for the fact I was going for a TB the kids wanted I would have left it alone!

The cache in the mangrove was out of the question but I note that over 100 geocachers before me haven't cared. I couldn't see one comment about sticking to the boardwalks. High tide was the only thing that stopped anyone.

As for playgrounds I'd go there only with the geokids. I really only seriously geocache when I'm with them anyway. When interstate I look to move TBs and Geocoins around.

covert
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by covert » 07 July 09 3:46 pm

What you have, what to look like has a bearing on doing playground caches.

I think my bright yellow eTrex around my neck with a notepad helps to make me look official in some form when in a playground looking for clues. I also dress like I am a in a working role. Jeans and heavy boots that look like work boots (brown leather hiking boots). Not tracksuit and runners.

MtnLioness
2800 or more caches found

Post by MtnLioness » 07 July 09 6:35 pm

Geodes wrote:The arguments about the suitability of playground caches all tend to be rather solipsistic. Perhaps the feelings of other users of the facilities should be taken into account as well.

Do you think that the parents of the kids that use these areas would approve of them being made a target for "weirdos" with funny-looking mobile phones?
That is why people have FREE WILL, you are free to come back at ANY time of the day or night. If there are people/kidlets there and coming up with a good excuse or good disguise is too hard, Come back another time or simply DON'T DO IT!
I do recall that this IS a GAME!!!!
So lose the attitudes and have fun!!
I myself as a young female, still get weird looks walkin around a playground looking for caches, EVEN WITHOUT MY KIDS!!!
Most parents I have come across are fine with your activitys if you simply go and explain what you are doin in a friendly manner. Even showing them the cache often goes down quite well, As I have done on many occasions!

Ozibags
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Ozibags » 07 July 09 7:32 pm

Thanks Geodes for a new word I can add to my vocab - solipsistic.
From the Free Dictionary: Solipsism - (philosophy) the philosophical theory that the self is all that you know to exist. :D

The SBI

Post by The SBI » 09 July 09 9:32 pm

Each to their own, I've occasionally a bit nervous about some of the playground caches, but I'm sure if I was 10 years younger, I'd love them. (which isn't saying I dont enjoy them now)

On the opposite foot, I'm currently enjoying the sheer mental and physical torment of some of the adelaide hills caches, and if I was 10 years younger (or 40 years older) I would hate them.

In the end it is just meant to be fun, you don't have to do every cache out there

Elmer_Stratty
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Elmer_Stratty » 10 July 09 12:53 pm

team waldron wrote: I'll have to check if the police still have my cache or if its been replaced.
One of the local caches near me has a log entry from a local policemen - states that he checked the cache after a report of a person acting suspiciously near a jetty - he signed the log - but didn't mention if he swapped anything!!! :D

Elmer

Huurtle
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Re:

Post by Huurtle » 13 July 09 9:52 pm

lioness & milkman wrote:Ok, there are ALWAYS going to be Playground Cache arguements and I understand the problem with them for people like my Dad and other bachelors. That is why I Label mine specifically that they are indeed a playground cache. What I don't agree with however is the abuse I have recieved from 2 such cachers on 2 on my Nanos, both hidden within Playgrounds. This IS an optional sport people!!!!!
Where do people get off telling other people how to or NOT to hide a cache?
Just because You have found 1000's, doesn't give you the right to be a jerk!!
I keep hearing of this 'abuse' on cache logs. It is easy to say they are abusive logs, but with no second opinions and just innuendo, it therefore is easy to spread untruths? Is this not an opinion formed, for whatever reason, by the cache owner when they cannot accept that others have their own opinions of their experience at a cache? Why not post on here the logs that are 'abusive' so others can comment and perhaps learn from? Perhaps they are in fact not abusive at all, but simply negative comments? And rather than getting high and mighty about someones opinion and constructive criticism about a cache hind, learn from it for the future hides.
Many people don't like nanos, and they say so, many others don't like playgrounds and say so, and yet still many others don't like gz's that may cause environmental issues and say so! These are opinions, not abuse. Personally if I got a lot of negative logs on a cache, I would consider that many cachers are not enjoying it, and archive it or move it. Simple.

stealth_ninja_penguin
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Re: Re:

Post by stealth_ninja_penguin » 13 July 09 11:04 pm

TeamHurtle wrote:
lioness & milkman wrote:Ok, there are ALWAYS going to be Playground Cache arguements and I understand the problem with them for people like my Dad and other bachelors. That is why I Label mine specifically that they are indeed a playground cache. What I don't agree with however is the abuse I have recieved from 2 such cachers on 2 on my Nanos, both hidden within Playgrounds. This IS an optional sport people!!!!!
Where do people get off telling other people how to or NOT to hide a cache?
Just because You have found 1000's, doesn't give you the right to be a jerk!!
I keep hearing of this 'abuse' on cache logs. It is easy to say they are abusive logs, but with no second opinions and just innuendo, it therefore is easy to spread untruths? Is this not an opinion formed, for whatever reason, by the cache owner when they cannot accept that others have their own opinions of their experience at a cache? Why not post on here the logs that are 'abusive' so others can comment and perhaps learn from? Perhaps they are in fact not abusive at all, but simply negative comments? And rather than getting high and mighty about someones opinion and constructive criticism about a cache hind, learn from it for the future hides.
Many people don't like nanos, and they say so, many others don't like playgrounds and say so, and yet still many others don't like gz's that may cause environmental issues and say so! These are opinions, not abuse. Personally if I got a lot of negative logs on a cache, I would consider that many cachers are not enjoying it, and archive it or move it. Simple.
As hell freezes over I find myself agreeing with Hurtle :P
lioness & milkman wrote:Just because You have found 1000's, doesn't give you the right to be a jerk!!
And just because you (as in 'one') haven't found 1000's it doesn't give you the right to be a jerk either!!! While there are some with a high number of finds who do place themselves higher and mightier than others (and most of us know that is a false paradigm anyway) it doesn't mean that all high number finders are the same. I'm not questioning your right to an opinion and you have raised some very interesting points for thought and discussion but it is not only me who is tiring of the whining tirade.
As I've said, you've made some points which are worthy of frank discussion but maybe you could also take on board some others' points for thought as well :)

Ciril
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: 'Inappropriate' cache locations?

Post by Ciril » 15 July 09 11:05 pm

There is no suggestion that all high finders are jerks, personally I have met a number of high finders and have found them to be nice, courteous, down to earth, helpful individuals who are only too willing to have a chat or offer some advice. Doesn't matter whether you are a high, low or medium finder it has no bearing on your personality or disposition. For those who want to be remembered they can put a negative log in a manner so it comes across as an attack, intentional or not.

As my mother always said to me if you don't have anything nice to say then don't say anything at all.

As with certain cache types or locations, if you don't like them don't do them, if you don't like a post then don't read it or comment on it, quite simple really.

A lot of angst and perhaps misinterpretation could be alleaviated if people re-read what they were going to log or actually thought about how it could be interpreted. I'm sure all negative logs could be written in a way that will comes across as friendly and constructive.

MtnLioness

Post by MtnLioness » 15 July 09 11:17 pm

I absolutley do take on what others are saying and I also find it amusing that the most intence responces are coming from the direction of the most negative people. (or rather, the most reliably negative loggers)
I apologise greatly if you think I am being a jerk for accusing the higher posters as a whole of being jerks themselves, but about a third of all the high finders I have come across over the years HAVE been displaying an attitude to some degree, (more than the average person) of supercilious behaviour.
If I have portrayed an image of myself that offends you, please feel free to accept my apology.

I Aim only to reflect the truth in all that I do and if that comes across too 'in-your-face' then simply ignore me.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 16 July 09 1:13 am

Hi lionness & milkman

As one of those evil people who has a lot of cache finds under my belt (shows I don't have anything else to do with my time) I will comment. And yes I found one of yours on the weekend, and posted a note to another I chose not to look for due to a nearby muggle. To save the location from being found, and in no way a criticism of the placement. I hope the logs reflected that.

I have placed a few (a lot more than my profile shows as I have moved from Adelaide to Sydney so a lot have been adopted) and generally get good comments or at least just Found It type ones. There is the odd negative comment.

And yes, I have posted logs that could be read as negative. Though I try to put something positive in there. That relates to experience on the day, which could include things like leeches or whatever. But in those logs I note the problems and how to get around them like Aerogard on the legs before you head bush.

As others have said, if it's a bad location or bad spot then expect negative comments. Take them to heart in one way, and just try to place a cache you would like to find. If you think it is a good spot or hide but getting negative feedback then look at the feedback and work out why the finders are not enjoying it. Then see if you can fix it.

Finally, I have gone on long enough :D don't assume that finders with lots of smilies are bagging you or the cache. But given there experience they may feel that the comments can provide some positive feedback. As an example I found a metal biscuit tin after about 2 weeks placed in Sydney. It was already showing signs of moisture ingress as they do and will rust quickly in the location placed. I hope the placer didn't take offence to my log when I explained why this wasn't a good container for the location and should be a Sistema or ammo can type hide. So what you see as negative feedback could have been meant as helpful advice.

MtnLioness

Post by MtnLioness » 16 July 09 11:16 pm

richary wrote:Hi lionness & milkman

As one of those evil people who has a lot of cache finds under my belt (shows I don't have anything else to do with my time) I will comment. And yes I found one of yours on the weekend, and posted a note to another I chose not to look for due to a nearby muggle. To save the location from being found, and in no way a criticism of the placement. I hope the logs reflected that.
I understand why you said what you did...that's fine, In occordance with the same general feeling about that cache in particular, I have changed it completely.
I will say however, I have not come across so much whinging and downright immaturity about other peoples caches (bar what you have said and explained & and that reason also coming from others) in the ACT or anywhere else for that matter.

grahamf72
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found

Post by grahamf72 » 16 July 09 11:21 pm

With regards to playground caches, I have no dramas whatsoever with them. I either take my kids as a decoy, or if they aren't interested I go at a kid-free time. Just after sun-up, after sun-down, or the middle of the day on a schoolday are typical times when you are unlikely to encounter kids, and hence raise the ire of their parents. Alternatively you could do the "I'm an official" kind of thing with the clipboard and hi-vis clothing. A playground just adds an extra challenge - some caches are about solving a puzzle, some are about solving the hide method, playground caches are about solving the appropriate time/method of attack.

Ciril

Post by Ciril » 16 July 09 11:50 pm

Could it be Lioness my dear that SA cachers are just too honest and open for their own good. Now may be a good time for me to go and hide. :lol: