When is an event an event?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Hoojar
5000 or more caches found

When is an event an event?

Post by Hoojar » 29 June 09 2:45 pm

Let me first start off by saying that this is not a witch hunt at all, or directed against one cacher.

Many on these forums will know of Peagle Boy from the Wollongong area. He is running an event cache this weekend; GC1DB14.

With only one confirmed attendee thus far, I was just curious as to when other cachers deem an event to be an actual event? The guidelines do not seem to stipulate a minimum number of attendees.

Nilbog_Aus
650 or more caches found
650 or more caches found

Post by Nilbog_Aus » 29 June 09 3:34 pm

I think as long as the organiser turns up to an event and it goes ahead as described in the listing it counts as an event.

This does mean an event without a single attendee would count. Doesn't sound like much fun to me but different people geocache in different ways.

Just my 2c.

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 29 June 09 5:21 pm

Why dont some more attend :?: :?: he is not a leper, instead of banging on the forums about it, go along :wink: nobody seems to take the poor bugger serious, give him a break :!:

Hoojar

Post by Hoojar » 29 June 09 5:27 pm

I very much doubt that anyone is intentionally avoiding the event Mr Router, infact I for one do not like the fact that you would even suggest such a thing!

My question was simply how many cachers make an event an event.

I do not need to justify my attendance, or like there of, to anyone, including yourself.

Damo.

Re: When is an event an event?

Post by Damo. » 29 June 09 6:02 pm

Hoojar wrote: The guidelines do not seem to stipulate a minimum number of attendees.
If an event is accepted for listing on geocaching.com it could be seen as being 'officially' sanctioned as an event. Attendence by anyone is optional.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 29 June 09 6:49 pm

I may well go along but having been away and not sure until today if I was going to have to shoot over to Adelaide next week (in which case I may have gone earlier) I wasn't in a position to make plans. Now I know Adelaide is the following week it frees up this weekend.

I missed his last one, but that was purely because I woke up in the morning and the weather was crap.

JABs
4500 or more caches found

Post by JABs » 29 June 09 7:12 pm

I have noticed that some events do not recieve many 'will attend' logs until such time as a high profile cache logs his 'will attend' , then others follow.

There is also a number who will show up with out posting 'will attend'.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 29 June 09 7:47 pm

I rarely post a will attend. I'm bad at remembering :-(
This event is in NSW so I won't be able to make it anyway.

paegle boy
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by paegle boy » 30 June 09 9:39 am

happy to see some cachers going

forthferalz
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by forthferalz » 30 July 09 11:13 am

:mrgreen: Quality not quantity PB have a great event !

(my one and only event had hmmmm 1 actual attendee who I was really looking forward to meet- 2 if the attendees spouse is counted. The weather was totally foul and I was planning a mountain hike so even rest of my family piked!)

backPAQer

Post by backPAQer » 15 August 09 3:18 pm

Did you hear about the NZ events?
Apparently they were posting up heaps of events...One day an out-of-towner rocked up to the event co-ords...a bike track...and there was nothing there, so he took video of the area and the fact that there was nothing and no-one else there and the group was busted.

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 15 August 09 5:20 pm

backPAQer wrote:Did you hear about the NZ events?
Apparently they were posting up heaps of events...One day an out-of-towner rocked up to the event co-ords...a bike track...and there was nothing there, so he took video of the area and the fact that there was nothing and no-one else there and the group was busted.
What are the GC numbers for those non-events? ... how many claimed to be there?

the farmers 5
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 15 August 09 5:36 pm

Yeah, Think you will find this NZ team holding false events is the same team that caused havoc 6 months ago around Australia.

Their best fake event was supposed to be held in QLD just on a year ago the same night as the Bledisloe cup match.The event was held at a hotel in Cairns and he even gave match report updates on the event page live as 'try' s were being scored.The cache was GC1fdrm

They became unstuck when claiming around 30 finds in Darwin and hadnt been to any.They havent been active since the 3rd of May,but may have resurfaced as a "new name".

Whats the latest info Roger ??

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 15 August 09 9:18 pm

backPAQer wrote:Did you hear about the NZ events?
They were busted well before that event. I was the attendee.

Here's my post - http://www.geocaching.com/seek/log.aspx ... ca8f846e20
Here's the photo, courtesy of Webby - http://www.diveoz.com.au/group.jpg
Here's the video - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaI9tw_V4XQ

In answer to the OP, if it's accepted by the reviewers and the poster attends, then I see no problem.

rhinogeo
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 15 August 09 11:27 pm

the farmers 5 wrote:Yeah, Think you will find this NZ team holding false events is the same team that caused havoc 6 months ago around Australia.

Their best fake event was supposed to be held in QLD just on a year ago the same night as the Bledisloe cup match.The event was held at a hotel in Cairns and he even gave match report updates on the event page live as 'try' s were being scored.The cache was GC1fdrm

They became unstuck when claiming around 30 finds in Darwin and hadnt been to any.They havent been active since the 3rd of May,but may have resurfaced as a "new name".

Whats the latest info Roger ??
I wondered if it was the two bottom-dwelling oxygen pirates we had discussed before :roll:

Didn't TheUMP report their behaviour to GC?