GPS Map 60

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
woodiebro

GPS Map 60

Post by woodiebro » 10 July 04 10:36 am

Hi all
Has anyone got or heard any feed back on the garmin map 60 c or cs model, it looks pretty good on the Johnny Appleseed website.
Thanks

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 11 July 04 12:20 pm

I recently upgraded from a GARMIN GPS12 to a GPSMAP60, and am pretty impressed. It's very customisable (is that a word?), as easy to use as any Garmin, clear colour display, good mileage on batteries (incl rechargeables), decent basemap, and comes with Garmin software for the PC (Trip & Waypoint Manager). Overall, quite happy with it. Negatives: doesn't look/feel as tough as the GPS12, but then nothing ever will; displays waypoints by name only, not comment; to be REALLY great it needs the mapping software at about $300+ (but still works fine without it). I guess that if you like Garmin, you will like this a lot. I do!

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 11 July 04 12:22 pm

If I had checked my typing I would have made that a GPSMAP60C.

woodiebro

Post by woodiebro » 11 July 04 2:13 pm

Thanks for the reply Steelrat
How do you find the screen for clarity, is it big enough to see detail clearly. I want to use this GPS on a boat with the Blue chart software as well as for caching and land work and it seems like s good all rounder for the price. Now that you have had it for a while would you have prefered the CS model instead, I cant see the use of getting the CS for the extra price just to get the compass and barometer.
Thanks
Terry

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 11 July 04 11:19 pm

Being a handheld, it isn't expected to be more than armslength away, or at least on the dash when driving. Over that distance, it is easy to read, particularly as you can zoom right in to 5m resolution for minute detail (plenty of levels to choose from). Also, the colour screen shows everything you want to see, and you can choose colour schemes to best highlight what you are after. I never really considered the 60CS, because of the increased price, and because I prefer to use a manual compass in conjunction with the GPS. I didn't worry about the barometer side of things, never used one before and always carry wet weather gear anyway. Hope that helps.

woodiebro

Post by woodiebro » 12 July 04 9:31 pm

Well I went and got it this morning and what a machine I,m wrapped, I havent been able to put it down and now when I get lost at least it will be in colour

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 24 July 04 10:57 pm

Hi Woodiebro,

Welcome to the GPSMAP60C/S owners club :lol:

I love my 60CS even though i put a large scratch on it on its first day out !! Bluecharts finally look good with colour after having them on my old Vista.

BTW Combine the 60C/S with GSAK and Oziexplorer and you are cruisin...the geocache feature is now pure luxury :)

Regards

AGSMKY

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 08 August 04 8:56 pm

This may be more of a technical question for a different forum, but....

Trying to download the latest GPSMAP60C firmware upgrade (V3.50) I keep getting the same problem, namely it will download anywhere from 200kb to 1.1mb, then say 'download complete' without going to the full 1.79mb. I've had similar problems with downloads from the Garmin site before, but not like this. Is it just me, or are others having problems with this particular download?

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 08 August 04 9:09 pm

Hi steelrat,

Don't know if you are aware....there is a yahoo group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/GarminGPSMAP60C_60CS/ where you can get some specific info on your GPS. The also have the update .exe for downloading, not just the most recent.

BTW Garmin servers can play up when updates are released........though it does sound like a timeout problem......

Regards

AGSMKY

woodiebro

Post by woodiebro » 08 August 04 9:26 pm

Hi Steelrat
I had the same problem had to try 3 times to get the full down load which I think was 1.67 when I got there it took about 30 secs to install. There is a topic on the geocaching.com that mentions others having the same problem.
Regards
Terry

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 09 August 04 9:39 pm

Thanks for the replies. I managed to con a friend with work access to satellite broadband, who downloaded it in an eyeblink, then e:mailed it to me. I'll be checking out the link though. Thanks again.

GeoQuacks
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by GeoQuacks » 25 August 04 1:24 am

I will be in the market for a new gps late this year or early next year when my father and I can no longer use the one we purchased jointly. I have looked at the GPSMAP60 on the web and it looks good. I’m wondering what maps are available for it for Australia (both land and marine) and how they compare to those available for the Magellans. The other question I had was whether the inbuilt memory is enough because it cannot be expanded with the addition of a memory card. What sort of area of maps can you store on the machine at any one time and is this a limiting factor? How difficult is it to change which maps are stored – this of course is dependant on having access to a computer, something which one may not always have.

Peter

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 26 August 04 8:15 am

Peter,

Most new GPSrs have more than adequate memory these days due to the fact map data is in a vector format......

The GPSMAP60 C/S has 54mb from memory......Metroguide Australia takes up ~44mb, for the whole of Australia :lol: ....... I have also Bluecharts (marine charts) for Townsville to below Rockhampton which only takes up 4 mb.....

If you want to look at the quality of the Metroguide Australia, take a look at http://www.garmin.com/cartography/ and select the MA from the Mapsource Map Viewer area....... :wink:

BTW there is also City Navigator for sydney, melboune etc however i haven't played with them :(

Hope this helps

AGSMKY

Skippy

Post by Skippy » 27 August 04 11:10 pm

Has anyone had a problem with thier Map60 locking up? I have at least 2 to 4 lock ups a day.

alex
1550 or more caches found
1550 or more caches found

Post by alex » 28 August 04 2:05 am

As I understand it City Navigator for all of Australia is about 59 megabytes, so you can't quite get all onto a Map60C. It covers all capital cities and major country towns (Mudgee, Shepparton, Port Pirie etc) plus connecting roads. The new MAP76C/CS has about 120mB of spare memory so it should have room for City Navigator, MetroGuide and some Blue Chart marine datal.

The Garmin MetroGuide and Magellan DiscoverAustralia are similar for city areas but the Magellan country/outback mapping is more detailed than Garmin. Magellan Australia are working on turn by turn mapping for the Meridians in an attempt to catch up to Garmin City Navigator.