Help Please - Guru wanted

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Team Ladava
2500 or more caches found

Help Please - Guru wanted

Post by Team Ladava » 09 April 09 9:29 am

OK, I admit it, I am a dinosaur but we still like to print out the cache pages. Problem. Intermittently the header including the GC code, Co-ords., ratings, size etc. does not print (and does not show on the print preview).
Any gurus out there who can help please?

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 09 April 09 10:10 am

Even though I've been paperless for a while, I still print out some pages because it can be more convenient (eg. multis) and have done it in a variety of ways over time.

It would help if you indicated which method you are using. Personally, I tend to print from GSAK as it gives me the info I want in a format I like.

Interesting that your problem is intermittent.

Team Ladava

Post by Team Ladava » 09 April 09 10:39 am

Thanks for the interest
I print straight from the GC website as I am technology deprived without any other software.
I agree that it is strange to be intermittent but I have had the same problem with my home and work computer/printer (Don't tell the boss) and I know of at least one other team who has experienced the same problem

pprass
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 09 April 09 10:45 am

You most likely aren't logged into GC.com at the time :idea:

MADA1234

Post by MADA1234 » 09 April 09 12:26 pm

I HAVE FOUND THE SAME THING... TRY SHRINKING THE PAGE TO ABOUT 95 TO 90 PERCENT.. OR....
THE OTHER THING TO REMEMBER IS THAT IF YOU DECRYPT THE CLUE BEFORE PRINTING YOU WILL RUN INTO THE SAME PROBLEM.
SO HAND WRITE THE CLUE ON YOUR PAGE AFTER PRINTING IT.
THESE ARE THE TWO THINGS THAT USUALLY CAUSE ME GRIEF!!!

Konie

Post by Konie » 09 April 09 1:07 pm

I can remeber printing all the pages once too and still do the occasional one or two.

I did it totally different to what the others have said. I just go to the cache page and highlight the area that I want to print. Starting from the cache name right down to the end of the clue. Then I do Ctrl 'P' and the printing dialogue box comes up, I click 'selection', then 'apply' and OK. It will print out the area that you want.

Don't hit Ctrl 'A' as that highlights the whole page and it will definitely be outside the margins and cut everything off.

I hope that helps.

waterlogged
1250 or more geocaches found
1250 or more geocaches found

Post by waterlogged » 09 April 09 9:06 pm

Do you have 'fit to page' or 'fit to printable area' selected, it could just be in a printer setting.

I also use to print two pages per A4 sheet, another printer setting, one to save paper and the other to reduce the amount of paper flying around the car in the wind

Gavin

crane2
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by crane2 » 09 April 09 9:16 pm

Although I am paperless now, this used to happen completely at random to me too on occasion and I can recall how frustrating it used to be! This has been a discussion thread on the GC forums as well and despite trying a range of things nothing ever worked for me. Whenever it happened it was always consistent to that cache page. I would print another page and it would all print correctly and then go back to the problem one and it would not print the section with the coordininates - there would just be a blank section there. I just assumed it was a glitch in their programming because my paper selection, etc was always the same. No help I know, just wanted to let you know it's not just you!

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Re: Help Please - Guru wanted

Post by tronador » 09 April 09 9:36 pm

1.Open cache page. under the coordinates listed and distance from your home is a print section: no logs, 5 logs, 10 logs
2.Click on no logs ,5 logs or 10 logs, your choice.
3.Scroll down to additional hints. hints will be encrypted. look to the right and find the decryption key. Above this it says decrypt.
4. Click on this to Decrypt the hints.
5. Now click on print preview in the main tool bar and check all is in order. You should have everything: GC code, coords/ ratings /cache size and decrypted hint. including the number of logs you chose and the map.
6. Click on print from the print preview page.
:D

S2333
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by S2333 » 10 April 09 3:10 am

Just change your size to a percentage it appears on. It will be defaulted to 'Fit to Page'.
I use Firefox so it doesn't do that to me :D

Team Ladava

Post by Team Ladava » 10 April 09 10:10 pm

My thanks to everyone who contributed to this string, especially those who headed me in the direction of resizing. Early testing indicates that a simple adjustment of the margins and the header reappeared.
Cheers
Ian
Team Ladava