Adopting an archived cache near an active cache

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Ozibags
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Adopting an archived cache near an active cache

Post by Ozibags » 07 April 09 11:04 am

I am helping a fellow cacher get his cache series up and running again and am in the process of adopting them. I have got all except one into shape, but the one missing had been archived. There is now another cache within 160m of where the archived cache used to be. To get this archived cache up and running again what do I have to do.

I'm thinking I have to place and list a new cache at least 160m away from the active cache. Is this my only option? If so I would list it as owned by the current owner and adopted by myself. How do I get this done on the GC website?

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 07 April 09 12:11 pm

Your best to place a brand new cache that meets the guidelines including the 161m rule.<P>I think you would be hard pressed to find a reviewer to un-archive the old cache, especially as it no longer meets the guidelines.

Damo.

Re: Adopting an archived cache near an active cache

Post by Damo. » 07 April 09 2:17 pm

Ozibags wrote:If so I would list it as owned by the current owner and adopted by myself. How do I get this done on the GC website?
Just 'hide' a cache as you have with your current caches. You can put anything you want in the "Who Placed the Cache" field. eg "Hidden by Nolongercaching (Adopted by Ozibags)" and you could make a reference to the original cache in the description if you wanted.

But yes, I agree with big_matt, no way you will get the original unarchived!

theUMP

Post by theUMP » 07 April 09 7:33 pm

(Did you not get or not believe my response to your PM on this?)

We've been given firm instructions not to unarchive caches just so they can be adopted: if there's no cache, there's nothing to adopt.

Even if it could be unarchived, it'd still have to meet the current guidelines, and it won't because there was a cache placed nearby while it was archived.

You need to place a new cache that meets the guidelines. You can, of course, credit the original cache in your title/"placed by"/description.

Ozibags

Post by Ozibags » 07 April 09 7:48 pm

Hi UMP,

I didn't get your reply. Must be something wrong with my email setup or something. I've received no messages via GCA or direct emails from you. It's always possible I'm not doing something I should be to access your reply though!! :(

Thanks for your advice - very clear. :) I'll place a new cache.

Thanks also to Damo & Big Matt for advice.

thewhitedoggang
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by thewhitedoggang » 09 April 09 10:22 pm

Hi folks, I just want to clarify this. We have been 'keeping an eye" on a cache & then it went awol & owner archived it. Since then a new cache has been placed nearby. Then we found the original cache (within 50mts) . Do we have to move the original & rename it to be able to adopt it it?
Thanks in advance

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 10 April 09 12:26 am

thewhitedoggang wrote:Hi folks, I just want to clarify this. We have been 'keeping an eye" on a cache & then it went awol & owner archived it. Since then a new cache has been placed nearby. Then we found the original cache (within 50mts) . Do we have to move the original & rename it to be able to adopt it it?
Thanks in advance
You would need to relocate the cache so it meets with current guidelines ie more than 161m from the now existing cache.
Then you would need the current owner to request a reviewer to unarchive it advising them of the new coordinates.
Then when it is active again the current owner can initiate an adoption to you.

You don't need to rename it but do you have a good enough reason to reincarnate it? Most people would argue, why not just place a new cache?

calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by calumphing_four » 10 April 09 1:47 am

thewhitedoggang wrote:Hi folks, I just want to clarify this. We have been 'keeping an eye" on a cache & then it went awol & owner archived it. Since then a new cache has been placed nearby. Then we found the original cache (within 50mts) . Do we have to move the original & rename it to be able to adopt it it?
Thanks in advance
As Damo said, you'll need to do a new listing.
I suspected that cache was still there, but never got down there to have a look for that novel container. I'd put it back out, but somewhere a bit more powerful. :wink: