Geocache as a suspected drug drop

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Bunya

Geocache as a suspected drug drop

Post by Bunya » 02 April 09 10:46 am

I'm sure geocachers have been suspected of hiding/seeking drug drops before, but I thought the latest (28/3/09) log on
Down the Drain # 1 was an interesting example of the consequences.

The log of 28/3/09 by wombat 1 was:
What a surprise was instore for us today as we are new at this. As we were looking for the cache we saw a muggles watching us from his front door so we stopped. Plus we did not find it so we left. On the way back to Wallaroo got a call from the Kadina Police to ask about our vehicle and were we scratching around under a tree. We said yes and then told the police what we were doing. Rang back to ask how they got mobile number and it was then that we found out that the muggles had found it and given it to the police 2 weeks ago. Went to the station and collected the cache and went to retun it. The muggles came out to see us and we explained what was going on and he then showed us where he found it. Turns out that he thought it was a drug dop off area as there is a house of interest nearby. The cache is now back in place. This made for a very interesting day and quite a surprise. The muggles should now stop ringing the police.

I assume this shows the police can go car rego --> mobile number (via car owner and/or home address?).

It makes you wonder whether a real drug drop has ever been "camouflaged" as a geocache . . .

(I did check with wombat 1 and the previous finder nomad_penguin to make sure they didn't mind me posting this as an item of general interest.)

Camstal
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: Camstal

Post by Camstal » 02 April 09 10:49 am

Interesting....

Never heard of this before.

Hope it doesnt happen again! :cry:

Camstal

Big Matt and Shell
6500 or more caches found
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Re: Geocache as a suspected drug drop

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 02 April 09 11:34 am

Bunya wrote:I assume this shows the police can go car rego --> mobile number (via car owner and/or home address?).
With maybe a few more steps in between but not a problem in the world! The most basic of searches would give the registered owner, their address, DOB, etc.

jusojara
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by jusojara » 02 April 09 12:10 pm

big_matt wrote:
Bunya wrote:I assume this shows the police can go car rego --> mobile number (via car owner and/or home address?).
With maybe a few more steps in between but not a problem in the world! The most basic of searches would give the registered owner, their address, DOB, etc.
And more......

Jardry
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found
Twitter: Jardry

Post by Jardry » 02 April 09 2:48 pm

We had a similar experience at Stay the Night 4

pprass
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 02 April 09 4:52 pm

Been challenged by the plolice a few times :roll:

Once at a cache in Yarrum in east Gippsalnd, we totally bewildered a policeman who couldn't understand what we were on about. However 9 months later we get an email from him statingthat he joined the game!

Team Ladava
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Team Ladava » 02 April 09 5:20 pm

I had a chuckle with this log by a cacher of the female variety on one of our caches

'Well I am never going to forget this cache !!!!!!
I'd been up since 4am and flown over from Tassie for a morning appointment and then spent the rest of the day caching so I was starting to feel and LOOK pretty scruffy.
I thought I was doing a pretty good job looking for, finding, replacing, covering etc etc of the cache all whilst picking the gaps between the traffic but every now and then because it is such a busy intersection at 5pm I just had to make out like I was collecting firewood.
Unfortunately I didn't spot the police car and they had been watching me the WHOLE time and were certain I was planting drugs.
They were quick on the scene and their questions were very direct.
I pointed out that I was collecting firewood just as a distraction and when they said that I would be taken in and strip searched my reply of 'oh no I am too dirty for that' definitely wasn't the smartest reply either.
So I went with "have you heard of geocaching??"...they looked at each other while I madly prayed and they replied "NO". Figured I was pretty stuffed then and took a deep breath and then gave them the spiel. Sheesh it was really only when I offered to show them the container they started to believe me.
It all ended well and they even forgave me for my comment about how I would have expected them to have known about geocaching because supposedly most experienced police officers do.
I shivered and shook for a little while after but then saw the funny side of the whole thing, and they were doing their job so it's still a very big thank you for the cache Team Ladava'

Big Matt and Shell
Twitter: BigMattandShell

Post by Big Matt and Shell » 02 April 09 5:54 pm

That has to be Redtag! I can just see it now.... :lol:

Studit

Post by Studit » 03 April 09 11:35 am

Check the Log Book at <a href="http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... a1">Bridge Over Troubled Waters</a>
north of Launceston.
<br></br>
A log was left by a muggle who thought it was a drug drop.
<br></br>
I think they were disappointed.
<br></br>

Quite an entertaining entry that has never appeared on GC.com.

The SBI

Post by The SBI » 03 April 09 4:14 pm

I remember hearing about an old Adelaide cache having a log in it from the police who found it under the same suspicion

setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 03 April 09 4:18 pm

The SBI wrote:I remember hearing about an old Adelaide cache having a log in it from the police who found it under the same suspicion
That would be the Pt Adelaide CIB that found the cache, and left their business card in there with a note saying that they had found it, and confirmed there were no drugs present :?

nomad_penguin
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by nomad_penguin » 03 April 09 6:26 pm

The police also logged 'Water You Going to Do' in SA (http://coord.info/GCZ3G8). It doesn't appear all that uncommon (Bunya can choose his definition of 'uncommon' here :wink:).

tronador

Post by tronador » 03 April 09 9:19 pm

Found a log from the local police and a police calling card in Dark Side of the Moon.

If you've experienced this cache you may see why it may arouse suspicion,particularly if one was caught entering the "area"

bowforce
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by bowforce » 04 April 09 11:07 pm

big_matt wrote:
IM a cop and its very simple to do.

just a matter of finding out who the registered owner of the vehicle is and you have a name and go from there.

bowforce
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by bowforce » 04 April 09 11:08 pm

big_matt wrote:
IM a cop and its very simple to do.

just a matter of finding out who the registered owner of the vehicle is and you have a name and go from there.