What do people do with old cache log book??

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
paegle boy
1000 or more caches found

What do people do with old cache log book??

Post by paegle boy » 20 March 09 5:39 pm

i got an old log book from one of my cachers and i do not know what to do with it

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Re: What do people do with old cache log book??

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 20 March 09 9:24 pm

paegle boy wrote:i got an old log book from one of my cachers and i do not know what to do with it
I tend to keep them, although I've never actually gone back and looked at any of them!

If you're keen, you can cross-check the names in the book with the online logs, just to see if there's any undeserved smileys, but there's really no harm in just throwing it away.

Of course, if the cache is big enough, it's also kinda nice to just leave the old books in there for anyone who wants to have a look at the history.

ruzzelz
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by ruzzelz » 20 March 09 9:30 pm

Nothing like reading a bit of history if you can manage to leave it in the cache :idea:

paegle boy

Post by paegle boy » 21 March 09 7:08 am

no room

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 21 March 09 9:19 am

If you have a scanner and the time and inclination you could scan the pages and upload the image to the cache listing page.

paegle boy

Post by paegle boy » 21 March 09 9:52 am

Damo. wrote:If you have a scanner and the time and inclination you could scan the pages and upload the image to the cache listing page.
I am so doing that.

Bunya

Post by Bunya » 21 March 09 10:54 am

Papa Bear_Left wrote:...
If you're keen, you can cross-check the names in the book with the online logs, just to see if there's any undeserved smileys . . .
I have kept and had a look through some old log books from my caches.
I don't recall ever spotting an undeserved smiley - but I've often found a few finds in the logbook which aren't logged online.

darkvala

Post by darkvala » 21 March 09 3:35 pm

It would be great to read some of the long term cache logs. One of my first finds had a log that went back to 2002 !

Webguy
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Webguy » 21 March 09 7:39 pm

To Me, they are part of the history of my caches so to me, they are important. I have all my old log books in a special drawer. They are a small part of the history of caching in NSW.

Others of course may feel differently.

Dik:
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Dik: » 23 March 09 1:42 pm

Damo. wrote:If you have a scanner and the time and inclination you could scan the pages and upload the image to the cache listing page.
But with care. I often write things in a log book that would be a spoiler on line. I wouldn't want my book logs from Frequent Flyer or The 13th Cache containing full details of how I found the cache published on line

calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found
1600 or more caches found

Post by calumphing_four » 23 March 09 2:13 pm

paegle boy wrote:i got an old log book from one of my cachers and i do not know what to do with it
I've got one floating around in the boot of the car - it came from a small cache so there was no room to leave it there. Maybe I should put it straight into the "pool room". :wink:
How about creating a new cache (ammo tin) somewhere safe and calling it something like "History of Caching" and then you could put the old log books into that cache and others can come and read them if they like, and even add other old log books into the cache, plus they wont clutter up the "pool room". :?

paegle boy

Post by paegle boy » 23 March 09 4:09 pm

cool

TeamAstro
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by TeamAstro » 25 March 09 12:35 am

I have started a collection of old books returned to me (from a lot of my caches placed way back in 2002/3). I also have a few other log books from caches that were damaged and the owners no longer cache (and would probably not care for the logs back).

I have placed them in an ammo can, and have started a library of sorts.

I'll bring them along to the next event so people here can peruse their old logs and reminisce ...."Ah, the good old days when caches were......"

clear skies
Astro.

(note: perhaps old logs should be left in the cache, but those returned were felt too "valuable" to be left out there.... I guess they can always be put back....)

MADA1234

Old cache log books

Post by MADA1234 » 25 March 09 10:57 am

I have just put a new log sheet into one of my small micros and i was thinking of scanning a copy to put on the cache page.
It would be alright with micro sheets, as there is no room for anyone to leave any hints, some of the larger size log books may need to be edited if they contain hints / spoilers.
I have always wondered about "undeserved smileys"!!!

BaldEd
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by BaldEd » 25 March 09 3:25 pm

All the smelly putrid mouldy and slimy old logbooks I hold at arms length until I can put them in a ziplog bag and then I bin them when I get home. :lol:
<br>
As for the others they tend to initially get lost in the garage with all the broken down electric appliances, holey gumboots, old clothes, cycle parts, pinecones and cardboard boxes that my wife has collected for reasons that elude me etc. When refound on the rare garage cleanout day they go straight in the bin, for I never go back and read them. Time is too short. I rather get the chore done and be out caching.