TrigPointing

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Would you activly hunt trig points as part of your caching activities?

Poll ended at 11 April 09 2:33 am

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 33

Ozibags
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Re: TrigPointing

Post by Ozibags » 22 September 09 4:39 pm

One advantage of Trig Points, virtuals, locationless etc. is that Parks & Wildlife services and City Councils can't go in and remove them. :)

TeamGeoPlesk
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found

Post by TeamGeoPlesk » 22 September 09 6:52 pm

Ozibags wrote:One advantage of Trig Points, virtuals, locationless etc. is that Parks & Wildlife services and City Councils can't go in and remove them. :)
And that you don't have to remember a pen! I always forget to carry one, time after time after time...

Rainbow Spirit
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Rainbow Spirit » 23 September 09 12:26 am

How does one go about logging a photo onto the site, please keep it simple, I'm a complete novice with this kind of stuff!

SamCarter
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by SamCarter » 23 September 09 12:49 am

Log your find, using the menu on the right-hand side of the cache description. When you have finished typing up your log and have hit "Log", you will get a new screen with a "Log added" heading, a copy of your log, and then a heading called "Additional actions". Under this you will see a link that allows you to add or edit photos. From here you will get a window that allows you to browse your machine for the photo you want to upload (basically this allows you to copy a photo from your computer up to the gca site, and in the background without you noticing, all the labels and links get sorted out), and you can give it a heading and some extra blurby stuff. That's it (I think!).

strong-arm
500 or more caches logged

Post by strong-arm » 23 September 09 8:43 am

I had a bit of a skim in the last few pages since the update (great work, thanks for the effort!) and I can't see anything about survey marks, are they treated as Trig Points or are they something different entirely?

The ones I have found seem to have a red and white striped pole and the bronze disc like a Trig Point, they just don't have the tower above the point for far off range finding. Perhaps another virtual category with a little red and white pole as an icon!! :D

I need to search through some photos now to claim some back dated trig point finds now :)

J_&_J
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000016368307

Post by J_&_J » 23 September 09 10:58 am

Great work on adding a trig station category! =D>

I have four *.wpt files that cover 10,940 trig stations and benchmarks throughout Australia if that's any use to the site. Total file size is only 971Kb. I can already see these files cover a lot of trig stations on the Yorke Peninsula that aren't on this site already.

I am sure I found them through someone in these forums back in 2006, I just can't remember precisely. If C@W or anyone else wants them, just PM me with your email address.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 September 09 2:13 pm

Can I ask what is the difference between a trig station and a benchmark?

J_&_J

Post by J_&_J » 23 September 09 2:20 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Can I ask what is the difference between a trig station and a benchmark?
I wouldn't know, that is just what I'm seeing when I load them up in Ozi.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 September 09 5:14 pm

Let me throw some words around (that I googled and therefore don't understand).
A benchmark is a point of reference for a measurement. In surveying a benchmark is set by a surveyor to mark a point of known vertical elevation. These marks may be chiseled into a wall or they may be small brass or aluminium disks, concrete posts, iron pins or bolts that are permanently attached to a stable foundation.
Triangulation points are marks used to establish horizontal position. These points may be marked by disks similar to benchmark disks. Often prominent features on buildings such as the tip of a church spire or chimney stack are also used for triangulation.
The difference appears to be benchmarks are used for vertical elevation and trigpoints are for horizontal position. As the cache type trigpoint is for trigpoints I don't think we're looking to have benchmarks included in that cache type.

Are you able to cull the benchmarks from the trigpoints in your files?

J_&_J

Post by J_&_J » 23 September 09 5:50 pm

Removing the benchmarks from the files leaves 4,807 Trig Stations. :?

Not as many as I thought there'd be. Besides, none of them are named anyway. Every one of them is called simply "trig_station".

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 September 09 6:20 pm

PM sent.
We might be able to use them.
I'll have a play and see what we've got already and what's in your file.

Sons of Callum
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Sons of Callum » 23 September 09 7:31 pm

Id imagine that benchmarks would be everything else apart from trig points that are used

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 September 09 9:37 pm

J_&_J wrote:Removing the benchmarks from the files leaves 4,807 Trig Stations. :?

Not as many as I thought there'd be. Besides, none of them are named anyway. Every one of them is called simply "trig_station".
Thanks for the file. After verification, we appear to have your file 100% covered as far as the TriPoints go. Thank for the information though. Always good to have someone interested in development of the site.

big dazza

Post by big dazza » 24 September 09 10:45 pm

Great work guys.I just logged a couple and I'm keen to find some more.Thanks to all involved in getting this up and running.

Swampy

Post by Swampy » 26 September 09 9:33 am

caughtatwork wrote:
A benchmark is a point of reference for a measurement. In surveying a benchmark is set by a surveyor to mark a point of known vertical elevation. These marks may be chiseled into a wall or they may be small brass or aluminium disks, concrete posts, iron pins or bolts that are permanently attached to a stable foundation.
Here is one I found in Tassie. Those Americans sure do get around...