TrigPointing

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Would you activly hunt trig points as part of your caching activities?

Poll ended at 11 April 09 2:33 am

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 33

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 14 April 09 8:40 pm

TeamGeoPlesk wrote:On the other hand, searching out trig points which are always atop hills (or highest points in a given area as shown in the previous posting... great piccy by the way), almost always offers great views and a great challenge.
<p>Well this one is a great challenge, even if the trigpoint at the top is totally obscured by the bush and rather useless. Also rather glad I didn't have to lug the thing up there!<p><URL>http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... t6=Go</URL>

Sons of Callum
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Sons of Callum » 14 April 09 10:33 pm

TeamGeoPlesk wrote:
Sons of Callum wrote: Is it possible to do a bulk load onto a map and then you could see where they all are?
Done, its an overview map of australia so its fairly coarse but hope it gives you an idea where some of these things might be.

Most of the Trig Points in Outback Australia follow the railway lines?

By looking at the map i would assume?

TeamGeoPlesk
1350 or more caches found

Post by TeamGeoPlesk » 15 April 09 8:43 pm

The dataset has been updated with states and auto generated names (items with a ^ at the end)

Dataset is here for anyone intereted

Link to Google Docs

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 16 April 09 11:38 am

Just looked at the ACT trig points and it is missing A LOT that I know exist.

They have been a few people, including myself, contributing to the Waymark Trig Point database.

Out of interest I compared the 18 Waymarks from the Trig category that are in the ACT, with the 20 from the GA spreadsheet.

There is some overlap, but you see a few additions that could be made.

http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key= ... glI5OLViHw

Question for C@W, how will extra ones be added? Could a GPX Lite file be imported on a semi-regular basis? :roll:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 16 April 09 11:41 am

Spindoc Bob wrote:Question for C@W, how will extra ones be added? Could a GPX Lite file be imported on a semi-regular basis? :roll:
Don't know yet. Haven't given a lot of thought to the design. A GPX file is one way, a new addon to the existing new cache function, not quite sure yet. What do you think would be easiest for you, the end user?

Camstal
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: Camstal

Post by Camstal » 16 April 09 11:52 am

For the TrigPoints is there a KML file which contains all the TrigPoints of Australia that can be downloaded to Google Earth?

It would be great if there is one!

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 16 April 09 11:53 am

One of the main contributors of new Trig points would be Waymarkers. I would presume that if they've gone to the trouble of entering into the 'tertiary' website, then a GPX file exported from the page could be uploaded into the 'primary' website. That would reduce double entry.

Please stop me if I'm delving into Voldemort territory.

BTW - each waymark has LOC, KML and GPX as download options. A batch of 20 can be downloaded as GPX lite.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 16 April 09 12:29 pm

Excellent news.
I'll need to check the GPSLite format and see whether our parser will handle it.
So, if someone discoveres a new Trig, they can either:
a. Enter it to waymarking, then to GCA with a GPX file.
b. Something else direct to GCA if they aren't a waymarker.

Need to think about b.

TeamGeoPlesk

Post by TeamGeoPlesk » 16 April 09 6:16 pm

Spindoc Bob wrote:Just looked at the ACT trig points and it is missing A LOT that I know exist.

They have been a few people, including myself, contributing to the Waymark Trig Point database.

Out of interest I compared the 18 Waymarks from the Trig category that are in the ACT, with the 20 from the GA spreadsheet.
As for the exclusions of trig points, the data is 250k scale (most bushwalking maps are 25k scale) The Geoscience Australia website mentioned somewhere that the 250k scale means that only about 50 points/features of each of the catogories of spatial thingys are included on a map sheet index. It is basically aimed to give you an overview of the countries trig points. The fun for people like me will come from finding those unlisted points, as you say, are potentially all over the place. :)

As for a kml, consider it done! Go to TrigPoints Google Earth KML To use this you must unzip the zip package as geocities will not allow for the kmz file to be stored. :(

Sons of Callum
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Sons of Callum » 16 April 09 6:30 pm

TeamGeoPlesk wrote: The fun for people like me will come from finding those unlisted points, as you say, are potentially all over the place. :)
That is fun and it would be good if there was an easy way to add on the GCA website! :D

TeamGeoPlesk

Post by TeamGeoPlesk » 24 April 09 10:05 pm

What a week at work! Anyways prehaps as the generic desc/short descriptions could be something like this?

Short

Code: Select all

A Trig Point is similar to a virtual cache which requires a cacher to locate the triangulation station at GZ.
Long

A Trig Point (Triangulation Station) is a place of value to surveyors, generally located at the top of hills or points of prominance in the landscape. Generally, such points are of interest as they provide unique views and challenges, with many difficult to get to. You are looking for a Black Triangular object whihc resembles a navigation beacon.

To log one of the points, they work much the same as normal cache on the Geocaching Australia Website. To log this point, you will need to take a picture of the trig point, your GPS and preferably yourself and post it on the GCA site. You are encouraged to leave a description online of your journey to help others in finding the trig point.

This Trig Point has been derrived from GeoScience Australia and is not garanteed to be accurate. Please remember that Trig Points may be on private property or in dangerous locations, please do not disrespect local laws and regulations. If you feel that this trig point should no longer be listed, please place a "Should Be Archived" log on the GCA website.
Will probably need tweaking but its a start...

As for the implementation, why not just aff it to start with as locationless are at the moment, with its own little section. That way you can see if people are interested in the concept and if it is worth further devolpment and integration.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 24 April 09 10:25 pm

I have code underway. There's actually not much code, but I need to ensure that the new cache type integrates into GSAK etc, properly. I also need to make up the SQL inserts into the table and check the stats to make sure they all get picked up.

My main concern is how to integrate into the GPX files without blowing thousands of "unwanted" waypoints into the daily emailer and the ZIP files.

Not too much longer.

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 24 April 09 10:37 pm

TeamGeoPlesk wrote:

A Trig Point is similar to a virtual cache which requires a cacher to locate the triangulation station at GZ.
Probably should call them "Trigonometric Stations" :wink: 8)

mm

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 24 April 09 11:30 pm

Seems I haven't left work. Here's my edit - take it or leave it.

A trig point (also known as a Trigonometric Station) typically consists of a metal tripod with a black disc on top that resembles a navigation beacon. It is also accompanied by a metal disc, which is located directly below the center point of the tripod.

Trig points are generally located at the top of hills or points of prominence in the landscape. Many provide unique views and challenges, with some being difficult to get to.

These points were regarded as valuable to surveyors, providing reference points for measuring distance and direction, and assisting in the creation of maps.

To log a find on the Geocaching Australia website, you will need to include a picture of the trig point, along with your GPS receiver and (preferably) yourself. You are encouraged to leave a description of your journey to help others in finding the trig point.

The original collection of trig points has been sourced from Geoscience Australia and may contain inaccuracies.

Please respect local laws and regulations when searching for trig points. If you feel that a trig point is located on private property or in a dangerous location, place record a "Should Be Archived" log on the GCA website.

Richary

Post by Richary » 25 April 09 12:10 am

Spindoc Bob wrote:To log a find on the Geocaching Australia website, you will need to include a picture of the trig point, along with your GPS receiver and (preferably) yourself.
<p>Probably needs to also say you need to be at the trig point rather than using a big zoom lens to get the trigpoint in the background at the top of the hill while you stand comfortable at the bottom.<p>I liked the old locationless which I think involved photoing the GPS next to the disc or one of the legs, as well as another photo of the point.