TrigPointing

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Would you activly hunt trig points as part of your caching activities?

Poll ended at 11 April 09 2:33 am

Yes
76%
No
24%

Total votes: 33

caughtatwork

Re: TrigPointing

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 09 10:03 pm

tronador wrote:Is there a way to filter out the trig points from my dashboard as there are just so many and they flood the page. 8-[
CraigRat was going to look into a permanent filter, but not sure how that's going. If you use a my query, you can ignore any cache type you like.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 09 10:04 pm

bshwckr wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:There is indeed a chance.
Someone needs to give me the co-ords, which island it's on and a name and then we can make it happen.
How about a kml file? I just downloaded one from LINZ and it showed all the trig beacons on Google Earth. Click on the link and it gives extra data.
Possibly, depending on whether the file is a network feed or a downloadable file. What's the link?

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 04 December 09 10:08 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
tronador wrote:Is there a way to filter out the trig points from my dashboard as there are just so many and they flood the page. 8-[
CraigRat was going to look into a permanent filter, but not sure how that's going. If you use a my query, you can ignore any cache type you like.
Yes I've already done that, when i load waypoints into GSAK. I have filtered out the trig points but when you open the dashboard , all you see are lots of trigpoints. I have nothing against them but would only include them if i was going to a specific area. I don't need to see the thousands that have flooded the geocaching website all over NSW or Australia.
BTW, some great new inclusions otherwise and additions to the site.

bshwckr
500 or more caches logged
Twitter: bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 04 December 09 10:16 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
bshwckr wrote:
caughtatwork wrote:There is indeed a chance.
Someone needs to give me the co-ords, which island it's on and a name and then we can make it happen.
How about a kml file? I just downloaded one from LINZ and it showed all the trig beacons on Google Earth. Click on the link and it gives extra data.
Possibly, depending on whether the file is a network feed or a downloadable file. What's the link?
http://www.linz.govt.nz/ftp/gdb/gdbkml/ ... tabase.kml

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 09 10:32 pm

tronador wrote:Yes I've already done that, when i load waypoints into GSAK. I have filtered out the trig points but when you open the dashboard , all you see are lots of trigpoints. I have nothing against them but would only include them if i was going to a specific area. I don't need to see the thousands that have flooded the geocaching website all over NSW or Australia.
BTW, some great new inclusions otherwise and additions to the site.
Oh, I see. Over time, they will fall off the dashboards, but in the meantime, sorry they will stay.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 December 09 10:37 pm

That's a network feed so is of no use as it refeeds data based on where you are on the map.
According to the http://www.linz.govt.nz/geodetic/geodet ... index.aspx there are 107,477 geodetic marks in New Zealand. We're sure as heck not going to try and load all of those.

I'd guess that these are not all trig points, so someone will need to provide the data for the TP's separately.

big dazza

Post by big dazza » 04 December 09 11:58 pm

I have seen only a handfull of "proper" trig points in Australia over the last 45 years. Earlier this year I spent 10 days in New Zealand and I saw dozens of lollypop type trigs just sitting beside the road, there're everywhere! I would not be suprised if there ARE 107,477 of them in NZ (or should that be UNZUD).
Kia Ora,
big dazza.

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 05 December 09 8:05 am

I managed to download a csv file and has 26,314 points. They are rated in order from 0 (zero) to 10. I thought this could be the trick that trigs to the order of say 3 might have a beacon. Having read a few descriptions on the LINZ web site, it is "beacons" we are interested in. ie, a metal frame with a black disc on top.
I tried to find a beacon I know exists in the csv file but it was not listed. Strangely, this beacon shows up in the kml file and is an order 3 trig point. I know it exists because I have a photo of me holding my gps in front of it (wonder what I want to do with that?)
There is a huge amount of geo' data available for New Zealanders. If there was a World Cup of geo reference data, Kiwi's would definitely be holding the cup and it would be years before Australia could even mount a challenge.

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 13 December 09 7:12 am

I shot an email off to the people at LINZ and received this helpful reply. I have not had a chance to have a good look yet but it looks like all the data is available, sorted to indicate if a beacon is present.
You will also see a link to their FREE topo maps.

Hi Mark

Our Geodetic Database at http://www.linz.govt.nz/geodetic/geodet ... index.aspx is a resource that may assist you. The database identifies survey control marks and has a field indicating if there is a beacon present. There is even site photos which may be useful.

Our online Topo data at http://www.linz.govt.nz/topography/topo ... index.aspx may also be useful to you in this activity.

I hope that this is of some assistance

Regards
Ronald N Hermon
Help Desk Technical Advisor (Survey)
Land Information New Zealand | Toitu te whenua
Victoria St | Private Bag 3028 | Hamilton 3240
www.linz.govt.nz

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 14 December 09 8:58 pm

And after I asked for the files to be sorted into one csv file that indicates if a beacon is present, I received a file all sorted for me. There are over 7000 trig points with beacons or pillars!!!.
I am sure these Kiwis are just showing off now. :mrgreen:

I will attach the file if I can work out how to do it, otherwise I will email it direct to C@W

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 14 December 09 9:35 pm

At the moment GCA prefers 6 digit waypoint codes as older GPS receivers only have room for 6 characters.
ie. GA0001 through GA9999.

We have TP0001 through TP9999 to play with and we are at TP5275.
Adding another 7,000 TP's into the mix we will end up over the "nominal" TP9999 barrier.

That is not necessarily an issue. We can always assign (say) BM Beacon Mark or BS Beacon Survey or any other prefix to separate these from the usual TP or GA caches and they would have in the same manner.

The datum for the file appears to be NZGD2000. Can someone with knowledge (not google knowledge) confirm that NZGD2000 is effectively the same at the Earth surface as WGS84. I believe it is but confirmation and citation would be nice.

Then comes the sticky question. Do the people who play GCA in NZ want these? It might be nice to create them as caches so that anyone visiting NZ can find them, but for the best benefit, it would be best to have the NZ folk say that they would like them included. Has anyone asked them?

I'm all for creating 7,000 new GCA caches, but unless someone finds them, they're essentially useless. A level of interest from the Kiwis would be nice to see.

TeamGeoPlesk
1350 or more caches found
1350 or more caches found

Post by TeamGeoPlesk » 14 December 09 10:59 pm

Re: NZGD2000

Its effectivly the same as WGS84.

See http://www.linz.govt.nz/geodetic/datums ... index.aspx
Under "What is the difference between NZGD2000 and WGS84?"

For geocaching there would be no problems with using these interchangably.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 December 09 5:08 pm

:-)

Now all we need is the Kiwis to say they will use them.

bshwckr

Post by bshwckr » 15 December 09 6:59 pm

I spend 6 weeks a year in NZ. Don't I count?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 15 December 09 8:23 pm

Yes, of course you do.
7,000 caches over 6 weeks is a tough call though :-)