Short Hints

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
pprass
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 10 March 09 10:27 pm

We generally don't read the hints unless in a real bother, but we just have to laugh at the ones which are more of a "tell" than a hint, or tell the bleeding obvious eg "amongst the rocks" (No @#$% Sherlock!)

The hints that we really like (and try to replicate for some of our caches) are the short cryptic ones, as they still give the cacher a challenge of some sorts instead of just walking upto the spot and pulling the cache out.

We have mentioned this point on many of our logs when finding caches that have a "tell" rather than a hint, but rarely get any response from the owner let alone an alterations to their hints.

Good thread Alansee.

Derringer
2500 or more caches found

Post by Derringer » 11 March 09 2:06 pm

My hints will reflect the difficulty of actually reaching GZ,

The last thing a cacher wants after walking 30kms, or climbing 1km up is a cryptic hint, or no hint at all.

After all that effort they want a nice easy find before the slog back to the car
That is why I give an accurate description (even if it is 40 words) and a photo of the cache location as hints.

Cachers can choose to read/look at the hints or not.

A cacher would be most unwise before attempting one of my remote caches, not to have read the cache notes/hints in full, in the comfort of their lounge room or contacted me personally with any questions

This I have learnt over many years experience and talking to cachers who have found my caches.
My newer caches reflect this approach - some of my older caches will be reviewed in time

My hints for remote caches will be as long as required

Kevin

pprass

Post by pprass » 11 March 09 4:35 pm

Derringer wrote:My hints for remote caches will be as long as requiredKevin
If a cacher is to be wise and look at the hint before departing, then maybe the information should just be in the text of the cache page. :idea:

Derringer

Post by Derringer » 11 March 09 8:08 pm

maybe the information should just be in the text of the cache page
Personal choice,

but I agree with others in this thread - no matter how short or long the hint, it must be relevant

Kevin

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 11 March 09 9:15 pm

Derringer wrote:
maybe the information should just be in the text of the cache page
Personal choice,
Most cache content is, of course, but the intent of the Hint field is pretty clear, I think...
Listing entry page wrote:Enter any hints or spoiler information below. This information will be encrypted on the site until a geocacher clicks on a link to unencrypt it, or decodes it on the trail. Text within brackets [like this] will not be encrypted. Please keep your hints short, so decoding it on the trail is easier. If you don't have a hint, leave it blank.
The emphasis is strongly on in-the-field decryption and/or 'giveaway' information, not just another place to put part of the description that you expect cachers to read.

Why would you want to disadvantage and even inconvenience those cachers who (quite reasonably) expect to find spoiler information in that field?

Derringer

Post by Derringer » 11 March 09 9:51 pm

Why would you want to disadvantage and even inconvenience those cachers who (quite reasonably) expect to find spoiler information in that field?
My point exactly - it is spoiler information that is provided.
It is quite reasonable to place it in hints

Kevin

Marcus Vitruvius
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Marcus Vitruvius » 11 March 09 9:54 pm

For me, I stick by a very simple rule of thumb, and that is, if the cache is out in the sticks, that takes some effort to get to, then a precise hint should be given for those that want to use it. If it's an urban cache, or a tricky hide, then a subtle cryptic hint is fine. Even a precise hint can be helpful in an urban setting if the hide is in a muggle infested location. Saves looking too suspicious while searching every nook and cranny. But yes, nothing is as annoying as when you've been searching for an hour or so and you finally resort to the hint only to find that it's completely unhelpful.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 11 March 09 9:59 pm

I try to put hints on all my caches. I can't succeed every time though. If the cache is not there, you can read my hints and you will know where it should be. Most of them are giveaways, but not all of them. If the cache is not there (and the hint should be sufficient), then it has probably been muggled and both you and I then know that maintenance is in order.

Even though I don't read hints until I need to or the cache is found, not finding a cache and having no hint means I don't know whether it is still there or not and larger circles of damage occur from myself and subsequent finders.

Think of the environment and place a hint. Short, long, doesn't matter to technology, but relevant is a must.

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 11 March 09 10:39 pm

Any cache that requires a reasonable effort to get to (like a decent hike) I will generally read the hint and few logs before I go. I'm not going back to the car and then returning! Though with Trimble now on the mobile this is slightly less important as I can usually check onsite if I need to.

I will also read the hints for CBD caches to be less suspicious, know what I am looking for and hopefully be able to grab it quickly between muggles.

Otherwise yes, I try for it. If I can't find then I go back and read the hint.