Pathtags for Puzzles Challenge

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Mr Emu

Pathtags for Puzzles Challenge

Post by Mr Emu » 23 February 09 4:40 pm

Perhaps you've heard of the "Cash for Comment" scandal that occurred in Australian radio a few years back? Well, this is "Cache for Comment". The prize is not smilies, but pathtags. And just like listening to the radio, you won't have to leave your chair to win!

Last week I released a series of eight "E.M.U." caches near Torquay, Victoria - seven of which are puzzles. They are of varying difficulty, but neither illogical nor impossible. However some of the physical caches involve moderate bushwalks, and none are particularly close to any large urban areas, so they are unlikely to be overrun with cachers any time soon.

Inspired to share my fun - and also to get quick feedback on the puzzle difficulty - I'm using this forum to extend an invitation to all Australian geocachers to accept my "Pathtags for Puzzles" challenge.

An information page announces the details of the puzzle-solving competition, and has links to each cache page. (You will notice that the letterbox-hybrid cache "E.M.U. 0" is not part of the competition.) Here's what it says at the bottom of the page:
For those puzzle-loving cachers that live too far away to easily visit this region (>100 km), or if you are physically unable to bushwalk: the first TWENTY FIVE geocachers who solve ALL of the E.M.U. series of puzzles (1 through 7) will be entitled to one each of my pathtags - "Mr Emu - Cache Surfer" and "The Emulator" . To make your claim, send me an email, and include three things for each cache: GC Number, calculated cache coordinates (remember, you can check them on Evince), and the difficulty rating YOU would assign each puzzle if it were yours. If you feel like adding "constructive" feedback, you are most welcome!

At the time of writing, there have been two winners: Team Rubik (VIC) and winterdragon (SA). Well done!

I'm including a rough template for your entry. Remember, do not post your answers here - email them to me. Winners will be posted on the information page and here when the competition closes.

Good luck, and have fun!

Cacher Name:
E.M.U.1 GC1K2YN S38 xx.xxx E144 xx.xxx Difficulty = x.x Comments:
E.M.U.2 GC1K2YQ S38 xx.xxx E144 xx.xxx Difficulty = x.x Comments:
E.M.U.3 GC1K2YR S38 xx.xxx E144 xx.xxx Difficulty = x.x Comments:
E.M.U.4 GC1K2YV S38 xx.xxx E144 xx.xxx Difficulty = x.x Comments:
E.M.U.5 GC1K2YW S38 xx.xxx E144 xx.xxx Difficulty = x.x Comments:
E.M.U.6 GC1K2YX S38 xx.xxx E144 xx.xxx Difficulty = x.x Comments:
E.M.U.7 GC1K2YZ S38 xx.xxx E144 xx.xxx Difficulty = x.x Comments:

stagetree

Post by stagetree » 11 March 09 1:25 pm

I highly recommend this series of puzzles. A huge amount of highly skilled work went into them and I've never seen a series of puzzles so well graphically presented.
Besides which, I did them. How hard can they be? :shock:

NB. Not reccommended for those who are allergic to sleepless nights, puzzle induced headaches and a challenge. :twisted:

Team Rubik

Post by Team Rubik » 15 March 09 8:49 pm

I'm terribly embarrassed for not having posted earlier. The pathtags are great! Many thanks for the concept and the great puzzles. Everyone I've spoken to are really enjoying the series.

Rob

winterdragon
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by winterdragon » 18 March 09 6:02 pm

I'd also recommend this series of puzzles - they're well presented, good fun, and quite logical in their solutions.<br><br>And many thanks to Mr Emu for the generous pathtag prize, they were a pleasant bonus :).

SecretSquirrel-BJC
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Post by SecretSquirrel-BJC » 18 March 09 8:53 pm

The graphics are wonderful and the puzzles are great.

Team Pathfinder
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by Team Pathfinder » 21 March 09 4:33 pm

OK - back from holiday. Now down to figuring out these puzzles. Looks like a lot of fun. :D

big dazza
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by big dazza » 02 May 09 9:28 am

I'm surprised that more people haven't taken up this challenge.I received my pathtags a couple of weeks ago, they're awesome.The puzzles really aren't that hard ('though I did need a couple of hints),all the answers can be found on the 'net.Thanks again to Mr Emu for the 'tags and the enormous effort you put into this series.
Cheers,
big dazza.