Macs + Software for Geocaching?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Camstal
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found
Twitter: Camstal

Macs + Software for Geocaching?

Post by Camstal » 15 February 09 2:05 pm

I am thinking of purchasing a MacBook Air laptop and I was wondering if their is any software for geocaching available. I've heard that Mapsource on Windows is BobCat on Mac but I ws wondering because I was going to use it to do mostly Geocaching. I hear on the Geotalk podcast Spindoc Bob talk about his Mac and using it for geocaching but I am wondering what software he uses??

I've also heard that the Mac is a lot better than Windows but Is some of the windows files actually compatable as I would like to also transfer the data from my old windows laptop to this new one I may purchase.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Camstal

dadegroot
100 or more tracks walked

Post by dadegroot » 16 February 09 12:02 am

I cache on a Mac. However, given I have an Garmin Oregon 300, and a paid GC a/c, I just use pocket queries and the paperless caching on the Oregon.

RoadTrip is MapSource on the Mac (Bobcat was the early version, it's now RoadTrip). Also there's POILoader, MapInstall and MapManager (all avail. from Garmin)

http://www8.garmin.com/macosx/index.jsp

Grap GPSBabel+ to convert your GPX files to other formats if necessary (like KML for Google Earth).

http://www.gpsbabel.org/

MacGPSPro can be handy if your unit does not mount as a drive like the Oregon does. It'll read track files from older units quite happily.

S2333
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by S2333 » 16 February 09 12:09 am

Most file types are compatible with Mac but if they aren't I'm sure a quick google search will get you a converter program.
However Mac isn't necessarily better, it is a powerful system but built on a less customisable dumbed down interface.
It is usually what do you feel more comfortable with.

dadegroot

Post by dadegroot » 16 February 09 7:38 am

S2333 wrote:However Mac isn't necessarily better, it is a powerful system but built on a less customisable dumbed down interface.
This is such a stereotype that I have to rise to the bait. The interface, is actually very sophisticated. Why ? Because it gets out of the way of you doing actual work with the machine rather than tinker with it.

Interface customisation is all well and good for people who are just playing with their machines, but when you actually use it for real work, you'll be a lot more productive if you're a) not playing with the machine all the time, b) not fighting with the damn thing to do something.

I used to be a staunch anti-Mac, PC campaigner many years ago, until I realise that really, the PC is just a tool. People don't buy hammers that they can modify the heads on, so it should be with computers, it's just a tool to get the job done, and if it does it in the most intuitive and painless way, all the better.

CaleD

Post by CaleD » 16 February 09 9:24 am

I'm on a Mac and run RoadTrip with my CSx, and it works very well. I don't have any specifically-built geocache management software, but I don't really need it... the internet does it all for me!

If you are looking at buying a MBA, just be careful: it doesn't have a CD drive and there's only one USB port. I'd be suggesting a lower-grade MacBook ;)

Camstal
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Camstal » 16 February 09 6:50 pm

CaleD wrote:If you are looking at buying a MBA, just be careful: it doesn't have a CD drive and there's only one USB port. I'd be suggesting a lower-grade MacBook ;)
Ohh! Thanks for the heads up Cale, I may now stear clear of the MBA as I require more than 1 USB port and a CD Drive is a MUST!

I will probably turn to a standard MacBook but as it is a new experience to me as I have used Windows all the years that I have been using computers. Though do you have the desktop or a laptop because I have used a second hand desktop for a month which was pretty good but I stuck with the Windows for my Caching!!

Cam

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 16 February 09 8:05 pm

The two leading Mac pieces of software for geocaching are MacCaching and GeoJournal.

I've used MacCaching and while it's good, it ain't GSAK. In fact nothing will be like GSAK because of its huge supporter base.

Your posting has prompted me to give GeoJournal a go, so I can't comment on it yet.

Garmin's RoadTrip is pretty good and comparable to MapSource for Windows. It was called Bobcat and CaleD has a great review of it here http://forum.geocaching.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=10896

If you use a Palm or Windows Mobile device you might also want to get your hands on CacheMate.

Also look at MacCMConvert, which will convert files for you.

Don't forget, if you use a Garmin or Delorme N-series, you can upload straight from the web.

nomad_penguin
2000 or more caches found

Post by nomad_penguin » 16 February 09 8:18 pm

Spindoc Bob wrote: Don't forget, if you use a Garmin or Delorme N-series, you can upload straight from the web.
I've never had any luck uploading from geocaching.com to my Garmin GPS60, although I haven't tried recently. I use software called LoadMyTracks to upload from my mac to my GPSr. (It also converts gpx files to kml, which is handy.)

I tried MacCaching but never got into it. I use a semi-complicated system of GoogleEarth folders and bookmark lists (complicated in the sense that it takes some time) instead of GSAK.

However. I am due to upgrade from my PowerBook G4 to a new MacBook Pro this year (a present from me to me for finishing my PhD ;)). Because all the new macs come with Intel processors, I will dual boot Windows on my Mac (gasp!), and run GSAK. That might be the best option for you, Camstal.

nomad_penguin

Post by nomad_penguin » 16 February 09 8:23 pm

Camstal wrote:
CaleD wrote:If you are looking at buying a MBA, just be careful: it doesn't have a CD drive and there's only one USB port. I'd be suggesting a lower-grade MacBook ;)
Ohh! Thanks for the heads up Cale, I may now stear clear of the MBA as I require more than 1 USB port and a CD Drive is a MUST!
Cam
... and I wouldn't buy a MBA either. 120GB HDD? No thanks!

Camstal
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by Camstal » 16 February 09 9:02 pm

nomad_penguin wrote:
Camstal wrote:
Cam
... and I wouldn't buy a MBA either. 120GB HDD? No thanks!
Yea I heard about the MBA on MacTalk Forums and I thought that it was good because it was ultra thin but I didn't think of it after that until when I heard the Geotalk podcast and Spindoc Bob mentioning his Mac and then I remembered about that MBA and checked out some of its features and I obviously missed the 120GB HDD and after I read Cale's comments on this forum earlier ago I then rechecked to find that it wasn't what I expected but I now have read about a few more MacBook's but I think I will put the Apple MacBook 13" 2.0GHz Aluminium on the shopping list.

I do thank the forum posters who mentioned some Mac software...I also found out this cool site for all you Mac nerds, including me :lol:. It is called MacTalk Australia which can be found at www.mactalk.com.au. There is a worldwide Mac site as well which can be found at www.mactalk.com. There is even a Podcast for MacTalk Australia!

I now also find out that their is a few cachers who actually own a Mac. While also googling Macs I found out this funny Acronym, I Blame Microsoft which turns into IBM. :lol:

Well thats my point of Info at this current time but if their is anything else about macs that newbies may need to know about (That's me!! :lol: ) please post on this forum page as your help so far has been Wonderful

Until Next Time I think Mac has Redesigned. Reengineered, Re-everythinged.

Cam

rhinogeo
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found
Twitter: rhinogeo

Post by rhinogeo » 16 February 09 10:07 pm

I made the switch to a MacBook a 18 months ago and don't regret it for a minute :)

I tried both MacCaching and Geojournal but having used GSAK for 4 years I found both of them disappointing :(

Easy solution ... run Parallels and I can have GSAK and any other Windoze app I need for geocaching and the superiority and functionality of a Mac 8)

YMMV :wink:

cdmark
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by cdmark » 17 February 09 6:57 am

rhinogeo wrote:
Easy solution ... run Parallels and I can have GSAK and any other Windoze app I need for geocaching and the superiority and functionality of a Mac 8)

YMMV :wink:
True. Eventually I found that GSAK became the only program that I had to duel boot for. That, and having AVG lock up the interface whilst it has to check for update virus libraries every time it boots! Gee, I don't miss windows.