WSG84 to ADG66 romers

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
The Ginger Loon
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by The Ginger Loon » 20 June 04 12:13 am

SteelRat wrote:Anyone else want a copy
Yes please!

<A HREF="mailto:teamchaos@go.to">teamchaos@go.to</A>

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 20 June 04 12:23 am

Team Choas and Gunn Parker, your JPEGs are on the way.

Charlie Delta asked for a special SE QLD version with different offsets, so he now has a re-jigged version to play with, and I hope he tells me the results.

If anyone who has one knows how to post the JPEG file for others to access, be my guest. If that happens, anyone who downloads it, please tell me how it goes out in the field, I'd like the feedback.

Otherwise, send or post a request and I'll send you the file as soon as I can.

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 21 June 04 1:49 pm

Hi all romer users, can you tell me what you have printed your jpeg onto?
and how would I find out the what the offset for the Perth area would be, my copy of the romer might be out over here.
Thanks

RickJL

Post by RickJL » 21 June 04 3:50 pm

I haven't downloaded it, but you can buy an A4 sheet of overhead projecter film suitable for inkjets or laser printers from most newsagents or office supplies. Make sure you dont run a inkjet sheet through a laser/ photocopier. Makes a real mess! Printing on a laser sheet with an inkjet wont work - the ink doesn't stick. Oh yeah, and print on the rough side.

Steelrat, can you please send me a copy - rjluke63@yahoo.com.au

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 21 June 04 7:53 pm

RickJL and binns1012, your JPEGs are on their way.

For anyone who gets the JPEG file and wants to turn it into a reality, here is some advice: I originally printed four of these onto a single A4 sheet of clear plastic, an overhead transparency suitable for an inkjet printer. I then cut them to size and laminated them in some A6 sized laminating pouches. The lamination is needed for a few reasons: (1) the ink is not waterproof and disappears if you are out in the rain. (2) easier to use when it is rigid and not flopping about everywhere (yes, I'm talking about the romer, get you're mind out of the gutter). (3) it is more durable than just the thin sheet of transparency film, and can be written on with a whiteboard marker if needed.

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 21 June 04 8:01 pm

Gunn, I found that the NSW topo maps had the differences between AGD66 and WGS84/GDA94 printed on them. Failing that, you could always change your display from DD.MM.MMM to UTM (which is basically a display in metres anyway) and plot a set of co-ords on you GPS in one datum, them change datums and check the difference. Do this a few times to get a better average and you should have an answer accurate enough for me to create a new romer with WA offsets for you. I've already done this for Charlie Delta for SE QLD with no problems. I check the forum every few days, or send a message straight to thesteelrat@hotmail.com

Kerry

Post by Kerry » 21 June 04 8:42 pm

For Perth based on 31° 58'S, 115° 49'E

Based on National 66 (13.09.01) GDA94 to AGD66 <139.35>mE <145.66>mN accuracy +/-0.05m for both East & North

Based on NTv2 National 84 (02.07.01) GDA94 to AGD84 <138.96>mE <148.99>mN accuracy +/- 0.05m for both East & North

Cheers, Kerry.

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 22 June 04 9:53 pm

Gunn, your Perth Special romer is on the way. Based on the information you sent me, as per the official word from DOLA, the offsets are East by 139m and North by 146m. Tell me how the new romer works in the field. The offer is still open to anyone who needs a 'special' version of the romer created. It took me all of 15 minutes to make the changes and create a JPEG version, so if you have the details, I can make the romer, no problem.

dcr
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by dcr » 23 June 04 11:22 am

SteelRat wrote:Anyone else want a copy
Me too! (please) <br />

<A HREF="mailto:eltham.mob@swiftdsl.com.au">eltham.mob@swiftdsl.com.au</A>

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 23 June 04 8:32 pm

DCR, your JPEG is on it's way.

Varuna
2350 or more caches found
2350 or more caches found

Post by Varuna » 23 June 04 8:46 pm

SteelRat wrote:Gunn, your Perth Special romer is on the way. Based on the information you sent me, as per the official word from DOLA, the offsets are East by 139m and North by 146m. Tell me how the new romer works in the field. The offer is still open to anyone who needs a 'special' version of the romer created.....
Could I have it (Perth Special romer) too, please. Thanks.<br>cnoonan@iinet.net.au

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 24 June 04 9:47 pm

Varuna, your Perth Special romer is on it's way. Anyone else who would like to download the file, Charlie Delta has kindly rushed his own webpage into being and has the standard NSW version and the SE QLD version currently available. I'm sending him the Perth one to add to the list. Please feel free. The address is http://www.aussievrs.com/geocaching/

Sandy Feet
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by Sandy Feet » 25 June 04 9:32 am

I wouldn't mind a copy too guys
geocaching@sandyfeet.com.au

Cheers

¢ha®lie ÃÂ

Post by ¢ha®lie à» 25 June 04 12:40 pm

To save Steelrat emailing everyone, the SE QLD, NSW and Perth romers are now at:<br>
<p>
http://www.aussievrs.com/geocaching/ste ... scoder.htm
</p>
Cheers..<br>
Charlie D

SteelRat

Post by SteelRat » 27 July 04 11:52 pm

Well, I was emailing JPEGs left and right, until Charlie Delta came to the rescue and put them on a website for all to access. Not being one to leave something alone however, I've been fiddling with the things again, and have a smaller version that fits in/on a 67x99mm laminated card. I've though of leaving these in caches I find, and ones I hide, as a sort of signature item. The original translator grid card had both 1:25000 scale for topos and 1:20000 for street directories, and the new mini version can have either, but not both. So the question I would ask is: 'Which would you prefer to find in a cache, the 1:25000, or the 1:20000 version?' Or are you going to be greedy and ask for both?:)