[OT] Is it HOT enough for youse?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
setsujoku
3500 or more caches found
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 30 January 09 11:33 am

We managed a handful of caches last night, though they were just about all drive by's. Even at 9pm after we had been out for dinner it was still 38 degrees, so the air-con got a good workout

The downside of not being home for the evening was that the house was closed up all day, and stinking hot, so last night was spent sleeping on the concrete floor of the lounge. Surprisingly it wasn't that uncomfortable, but none the less, I'm going out after work tonight to buy a portable air-con to put in the bedroom

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 30 January 09 12:59 pm

GeoScrubers wrote:
ozzie-jeeper wrote:Not three bad up here..... :D

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/IDCJD ... test.shtml

gotta love being at 1000Mt above sea level.
<p>
....and in 6 months time it will look like this again... 8) ..<p>
Image<p>
8)
It snows in Qld???? :shock: :shock: :shock:

ozzie-jeeper
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by ozzie-jeeper » 30 January 09 2:03 pm

tronador wrote:
GeoScrubers wrote:
ozzie-jeeper wrote:Not three bad up here..... :D

http://www.bom.gov.au/climate/dwo/IDCJD ... test.shtml

gotta love being at 1000Mt above sea level.
<p>
....and in 6 months time it will look like this again... 8) ..<p>
Image<p>
8)
It snows in Qld???? :shock: :shock: :shock:
:lol: YES.. Not much, but it does snow a tiny bit every year... Last year was a bit more than usual, but i guess you can blame global warming for that ?! 8)

stealth_ninja_penguin
1000 or more caches found

Post by stealth_ninja_penguin » 30 January 09 8:43 pm

My passion fruit vine has turned cactus. I think it's stuffed. The leaves wilt then become turgid again overnight but there are lots of leaves dying now and the fruit is wrinkled even before changing colour. The neighbour's garden is worse though :P

Got some friends moving house this weekend. I'd laugh but guess who's helping them move :(

I asked Nomad if she wanted to go caching at 'crack of sparrows' tomorrow but she said 'No' :shock: I can feel people slowly losing their sense of humour with the weather 'n' all.

Peace Out guys :wink:

setsujoku
Twitter: BGNWP

Post by setsujoku » 30 January 09 8:55 pm

I wasn't feeling it too bad, that was until we lost power at work today. That wasn't a joke, when the whole place is dark, and there was only the sound of static air

The resulting running around, and dash to the shops for parts to repair systems that didn't enjoy the power surge when we brought power back on again, wasn't quite so fun

Ah well at least its cooling down now, and I can open the house up, and get some cool(er) breeze through. Is it sad that your happy that its only going to be 25 overnight :?:

tronador

Post by tronador » 30 January 09 9:06 pm

setsujoku wrote:I wasn't feeling it too bad, that was until we lost power at work today. That wasn't a joke, when the whole place is dark, and there was only the sound of static air

The resulting running around, and dash to the shops for parts to repair systems that didn't enjoy the power surge when we brought power back on again, wasn't quite so fun

Ah well at least its cooling down now, and I can open the house up, and get some cool(er) breeze through. Is it sad that your happy that its only going to be 25 overnight :?:
8) 8) 8) Oh guys I really feel for you. We had the heat wave last week and at night my place never got below 35 degrees, during the day I just shut everything up, and headed to the beach in the late afternoon. At least the water is cool.
I saw on the news that the power grid is overloaded and you have major power outages.
Can't believe you still go to work. Luckily I was on holidays when it was hot here.
How hot does it have to be before a work place just shuts down?
we've still got temps in the mid to high 30s all week and my place has dropped a balmy 4 degrees. So it's now been 28 degrees indoors for the past week and not getting any cooler. I guess that's what happens with a solid brick building. Well insulated but retains the heat.
Coolest place to be for you guys might be at an ice skating rink
:idea:

Adrian Mc

Post by Adrian Mc » 30 January 09 10:13 pm

Coolest place to be for you guys might be at an ice skating rink
Coolest place is the walk in fridge at the nearest bottle shop :)

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 30 January 09 10:43 pm

tronador wrote: How hot does it have to be before a work place just shuts down?
<p>My line of work, over 40 is considered the limit for outdoor on roof or up a ladder work. That said, a degree of common sense comes into it under OH&S legislation. I will happily walk out onto a roof in 40+ to check something for 10-15 minutes. But at the same temperature I won't be doing hard physical work in the sun all afternoon.

Spent from 10am to 2:30pm working up the top of a ladder here in Sydney. Finished that end of the job and decided the other end wasn't worth starting, partly due to heat issues.

Adelaide when I lived there a couple of times we had power cuts at work on stinking hot days due to the grid not being able to cope. After 30-60 minutes the boss just told us all to go home for the day. With no computers or phones there was little point in sitting around cooking anyway.

crane2
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by crane2 » 31 January 09 12:23 am

The airconditioner in our staff room has not worked all week. I put a digital thermometer in there out of curiousity - has been a huge talking point! 41.7 this afternoon. Most of us chose to eat in our office areas instead. At home: 45 in the kitchen and 41 in the bedrooms. This crane has set her nest up in the living room - only place with an airconditioner. Having said that I did spend a few hours in and on the river tonight! :D My German visitor thought the heat was quite nice on day one, starting to melt now though!

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 31 January 09 8:52 am

tronador wrote: Can't believe you still go to work. Luckily I was on holidays when it was hot here.
I spent more time at work than normal this week. I work in a large government building and the airconditioning was keeping everything at a balmy 25 degrees. I didn't want to go home.
I'm actually almost disappointed that its the weekend, and I can't go in.

Like the penguins, we considered doing some caching early this morning, but just couldn't get excited about getting up so early when we're so tired from not sleeping well.

At least its supposed to be a bit cooler today. Only supposed to get to 40. Will seem like a veritable freezer!

stealth_ninja_penguin

Post by stealth_ninja_penguin » 31 January 09 9:39 am

I spent more time at work than normal this week. I work in a large government building and the airconditioning was keeping everything at a balmy 25 degrees. I didn't want to go home.
I'm actually almost disappointed that its the weekend, and I can't go in.
In hot weather it is important to expend as little energy as possible to stay cool. A government building would be an excellent place for that :P :P lol :wink: :wink: :wink:
Actually Team Wibble, maybe we could hook up for a early morning cache sometime. Nomad's the boss so contact her if you're keen.

stealth_ninja_penguin

Post by stealth_ninja_penguin » 31 January 09 1:48 pm

Guess who did end up going caching this morning and guess who retrieved Cipher Platinum?
That's right Nomad did. Congrats. Not bad for 10:30 am (Note: the is no need to add in "in the morning", the 'am' kinda handles that) in the blazing heat.
I think the heat got to her and when push comes to shove she just shoved :shock:

firesafe
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by firesafe » 31 January 09 1:56 pm

Theres a new cache at Mt Barker and still tossing up whether to do the drive. Has hit the 40 degrees. It is a driveby though.. :)

Derringer
2500 or more caches found
2500 or more caches found

Post by Derringer » 31 January 09 2:06 pm

It's just hit 46.5 degrees C, in the shade here in Seymour Vic.

Our 5th day of over 40 degrees with no end in sight,

Not even the birds are flying, nothing is moving.

If you are contemplating going out caching in this heat, Please reconsider and stay indoors

Stay safe!!!!

Kevin

stealth_ninja_penguin

Post by stealth_ninja_penguin » 31 January 09 3:04 pm

Well at least this guy is keeping his cool...

I didn't realise it got so cold in Saigon :wink: