[OT] Is it HOT enough for youse?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
2lost_souls
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by 2lost_souls » 07 February 09 12:26 pm

I'll go along with Gibbo and agree: I was up in Darwin this week for work and it was extremely pleasant. In fact it was absolutely gorgeous!

<p>Although I should be cheeky and say the frenzy about the 40+ heat in Adelaide, Melbourne and Sydney is amusing to us Central Australians. <p/>

<p>Funny, but Alice Springs gets this kind of weather every single year, and for a lot longer than 4 or 5 days (it's more like 3 or 4 months) ... and it never makes the news! :cry: <p/>

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 07 February 09 1:58 pm

2lost_souls wrote:

<p>Funny, but Alice Springs gets this kind of weather every single year, and for a lot longer than 4 or 5 days (it's more like 3 or 4 months) ... and it never makes the news! :cry: <p/>

Yes but you have a dry heat. AND dont you all have AC and a pool. My friend does.
But I was told, when it rains up there THAT makes the news :wink: :wink: :wink:
My friend is a teacher in Alice and the rare times it rains , the kids get so excited she has to take them outside to play in it.

:D :D :D :D :D :D

It's now 42 degrees outside and rising at my place.
Inside: 30 degrees and 71% humidity.
Should have stayed at the mall longer. :D

2lost_souls
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by 2lost_souls » 07 February 09 4:08 pm

Yes, Tronador, you're right. I would rather have 40 in Alice Springs than 35 in Sydney any day (I was Sydney child).

<p>We all have A/C up here and houses that are (usually) built for the environment. Some -but not all- have pools. <p/>

<p>However, when it rains up here it's usually when it's 40 and our A/Cs which are evaporative as opposed to refrigerative (reverse cycle) don't work! So you can imagine that it's pretty awful then. <p/>

<p> It's true there is great excitement when it rains (we all go outside and marvel at the rain) and even more excitement when the Todd River flows. It makes our local paper, but let's face it... <p?>

<p>Alice Springs is largely ignored by the southern media despite the fact that we endure 40+ heat every single year. And even when we do get horror weather -we had an enormous freak storm that caused millions of dollars worth of damage last September- it doesn't break the news outside of the NT. :cry: We just get ignored and forgotten by everyone :( <p/>

<p>However, we'd love for lots of our southern geocaching friends to come and visit in the winter and see how beautiful and magical the Centre is ... so we're putting out lots of new caches as encouragement! Please come and visit and say hi to us Lost Souls :) <p?>

2lost_souls
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by 2lost_souls » 07 February 09 4:23 pm

OMG! I just checked the Met bureau (BOM) website and it's 46 degrees in Melbourne!!

Truly shocked!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 February 09 4:45 pm

46.4 in Melbourne.
Hottest. Day. Ever.
(Well, since records began anyway)

Mr Emu

Post by Mr Emu » 07 February 09 6:21 pm

caughtatwork wrote:46.4 in Melbourne.
Hottest. Day. Ever.
(Well, since records began anyway)
And if you were silly enough to head down from Melbourne to the West Coast beaches beyond Geelong, you might have gone past Avalon Airport around 2.50 pm:

-> 47.9C(118.2F). Now THAT's hot enough for anyone.

Thank goodness the cool change is making it's way across the state, with cooler days forecast. Let's hope the fires can be brought under control soon.

tronador

Post by tronador » 07 February 09 8:39 pm

2lost_souls wrote:
<p>However, we'd love for lots of our southern geocaching friends to come and visit in the winter and see how beautiful and magical the Centre is ... so we're putting out lots of new caches as encouragement! Please come and visit and say hi to us Lost Souls :) <p?>
Yes have already done that. Caching in the Centre is very different from Sydney. No scrub!!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D

Next trip to Alice in the very near future to hike the Larapinta Trail.
Oh btw best short walk and cache near Alice in my opinion is Pound Lookout. Part of the Pound walk.

2lost_souls
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by 2lost_souls » 07 February 09 9:28 pm

tronador wrote:

Oh btw best short walk and cache near Alice in my opinion is Pound Lookout. Part of the Pound walk.
Hey Tronador, the Lara trail is fantastic. Us Lost Souls work for Parks & Wildlife so we've walked all of it several times over. My fave parts are sections 8 & 12. And yes, the Ormiston Pound walk is one of the best short walks in the Centre. We used to have a house at Ormiston Gorge (ranger house), so the Pound Walk was always tempting!

<p>Send us a message if you like when you're coming up for some local info. And I'll make sure there's at least 20 new caches around Alice Springs and the West Macs for you to find... we have a cache hiding schedule that we're working thru ... </p> :D

tronador

Post by tronador » 07 February 09 9:40 pm

2lost_souls wrote:
tronador wrote:

Hey Tronador, the Lara trail is fantastic. Us Lost Souls work for Parks & Wildlife so we've walked all of it several times over. My fave parts are sections 8 & 12. And yes, the Ormiston Pound walk is one of the best short walks in the Centre. We used to have a house at Ormiston Gorge (ranger house), so the Pound Walk was always tempting!

<p>Send us a message if you like when you're coming up for some local info. And I'll make sure there's at least 20 new caches around Alice Springs and the West Macs for you to find... we have a cache hiding schedule that we're working thru ... </p> :D
Fantastic, maybe you can help me clear up some of the logistics of the Larapinta walk. Altaire and I are planning on doing the entire length,possibly April or September /October. Still want to be able to swim in the water holes. Have been in the centre in July and it's very cold at night. Will send a PM

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 07 February 09 11:46 pm

Unexpectedly been in Perth since Tuesday night, back home tonight. Had a phone call at 4:45pm on Tuesday telling me I had to fly to Perth that night.

People over there were complaining about the humidity with the temp in the low 30s. Seemed quiet pleasant to me.

Been listening to ABC Melbourne 774 through the evening, the fire situation there is very nasty from the sound of it with 14 confirmed dead from the fires today and the numbers expected to rise. This is now being relayed nationally on ABC News Radio if peoiple want to tune in.

Forecast 40 at Parramatta tomorrow. Might just keep the house locked up and sit in the lounge watching the cricket with the air con!

Anyway, hope everyone down in Vic is safe and so is your property.

The Silver Snitch
1000 or more caches found

Post by The Silver Snitch » 08 February 09 2:13 am

As Jardy said, The good old Riverland was expected to reach 48C today!! Happy Birthday Jardy. I guess this temp gives new meaning to the words :
Let's toast the birthday boy! :twisted:
I went caching in the heat yesterday on the way to collect a child....wellllllllllllll it was right next to the road and how can you resist them when they are new? :oops:

Rainbow Spirit
600 or more caches found
600 or more caches found

Post by Rainbow Spirit » 08 February 09 11:36 pm

I for one won't be to be complaining about caching in the heat anymore, after so many have suffered in the bushfire tragedies of the last two days.
I am deeply saddened at the loss of over 84 Aussies to the flames....

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Warmish

Post by If » 08 February 09 11:43 pm

Well if nothing else, caching my way from Albury to Melbourne yesterday was interesting :shock:
Poking around rocks, looking for a cache, in the middle of paddocks in 46+ degree heat with a 60 or 70 km/h breeze kicking up the dust and knocking branches out of the gum trees gave me a real feeling of impending doom for anyone in my situation who was unlucky enough to have a fire upwind from them :shock:
I don't often listen to the radio when travelling, but the radio was glued to ABC yesterday, to pick up the bushfire reports. I ended up detouring off the Hume Hwy at Euroa and heading across to Heathcote to avoid the Kilmore area. It just wasn't worth the risk of getting anywhere near known blazes :o
Strangely enough, I felt more comfortable in that heat than a 33 degree Brisbane day. Brizzie's humidity shuts down the body's cooling system and the heat becomes oppressive :(

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 09 February 09 9:19 am

As we know only too well from both Black Friday, and Ash Wednesday, when the north wind gets up on a hot day it can be a recipe for disaster in Victoria.

With ample fuel, once a fire gets going, it moves very very quickly and at very high temperature, and nothing will stop it.

I avoid any country travel on days like Saturday, let alone caching.

46+ and 80kmph winds and flame = disaster. Big time.

stealth_ninja_penguin

Re: [OT] Is it HOT enough for youse?

Post by stealth_ninja_penguin » 11 November 09 6:23 pm

It's getting a little toasty here in Adelaide. 39 today. Just got to remember to keep your cool \:D/