The Long Way Round - TB race from South Africa to Australia

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 16 February 09 9:23 pm

Thanks. Guess I then update the TB page with what challenges have been met as it goes along. Time to activate!

Ironic thing is I have another TB out there whose mission is to return to South Africa as that is where it was made.

Just noted - Challenge 19 - place in a wheelchair accessible cache (1/1). A wheelchair accessible cache could be a 5/1 as terrain is all that matters for that criteria.

Studit

Post by Studit » 17 February 09 8:15 am

I attached a summary of the rules relevant to the finder, all of the mandatory challenges and a summary of the remaing challenges along with a link to the caching games website.<br><br>
See <a href=http://www.geocaching.com/track/details ... 8>Studit's Long Way Round Lucky TB Racer</a>.<br><br>
Others have created a comprehensve list on their TB page. Not sure what they've written on the tag.

The S's
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by The S's » 19 February 09 9:54 am

The S's have registered for the game and our Bug should be there soon

andiamo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by andiamo » 21 February 09 9:35 am

We have registered and our coin is on its way to Delboy. Our coin page will need fixing though and we hope to do this during the week. This is our first race and we hope everyone has fun.

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 22 February 09 11:24 pm

Registered for the game and our TB will be with you shortly.
Thanks for organising the race, we are looking forward to watching the TB's travel!

GhostGums
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by GhostGums » 24 February 09 9:54 pm

Our TB was sent today via Express Post! :D

WaldenClan
1600 or more caches found

Post by WaldenClan » 24 February 09 10:17 pm

:lol: Ours was sent via express post today also. Made to the post office just on closing time. They told me it would take 2 days to get there so i hope it does make it in time!!. :D :)

The S's
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by The S's » 25 February 09 5:11 pm

"Gone Walkabout - The Long Way Round" was placed in express post this morning so should be there tomorrow or friday at the latest

Thanks delboy1203 for organising

delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found
Twitter: delboy1203

Post by delboy1203 » 02 March 09 10:14 am

OK. <p>
So far I have 22 out of 28 racers in hand with 2 more on the way! :shock: If you have not yet posted them to me, do it today or tomorrow!!! A friend who is joining me in South Africa next weekend will bring them to me.
<p>
I will not release the bugs until he arrives in South Africa. :wink: <p>
Good luck!

delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by delboy1203 » 07 March 09 10:48 am

OK, no late entries leaving Aus today. So we have the following competitors:
<p>
1 x Mr Grumpy<br>
1 x $100 special<br>
1 x Peter Pan<br>
1 x Freya Fairy<br>
1 x Magical Unicorn<br>
1 x Fergus Frog<br>
1 x Lightbulb<br>
1 x Lucky Dice<br>
1 x GeoTalk GeoCoin<br>
1 x 2008 Australia GeoCoin<br>
2 x Boomerang GeoCoins<br>
2 x Australia Map keyrings<br>
3 x Racing Cars<br>
3 x Boomerangs<br>
4 x Racing Thongs<p>
Good luck to all!

the farmers 5
4500 or more caches found
4500 or more caches found
Location: Wagga Wagga,Riverina,NSW. Home of Australia's ......OZ MEGA WAGGA WAGGA..

Post by the farmers 5 » 13 March 09 10:00 pm

The TB race has commenced and the interest will be observed by all competitors as they compete for prizes onroute to the Easter 2010 Mega Event in Wagga Wagga.Well done to Delboy for conducting a truly unique race.They were all released in South Africa and points are awarded for certain tasks they achieve around the globe.

delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by delboy1203 » 18 March 09 1:40 am

All TBs dropped off in Cape Town today.
<p>
Good luck to everyone. The TB hotel is quite small, so not sure the owner will be too happy about a full container!

Richary

Post by Richary » 18 March 09 8:52 pm

Thanks delboy. Looking at the rules it seems there is a slight confusion possible. Under points:<p>
Every time your Travel Bug racer moves you select one challenge to check off your challenge list.
<p>There is no time limit specified for selecting the challenge. Does this mean we can wait until the final day of the race (or hopefully it gets home) before deciding which moves meet which challenges? So we don't waste a (for example) River Challenge on a move to a new country, when the next cache might also qualify? Or is it implying that as soon as practically possible we need to select a challenge for that move?<p>If there is to be a time limit I don't think it should be too short as the cacher might be out of email contact for a few weeks for whatever reason. Holidays, illness or whatever - and of course in that time frame the bug might have made a few other moves.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 18 March 09 9:19 pm

There is no technical time limit. With the unreliability of the GC mail for TB movements, we kept the technical limitation out.

There is a gotcha though. The instant someone finishes the race and make their claim the game it stopped and the winners declared. Technology does that, so there is no human intervention time.

If you hold out too long and the game finishes because someone won, you don't get to claim your points.

gd___

Post by gd___ » 19 March 09 10:26 am

caughtatwork wrote:There is a gotcha though. The instant someone finishes the race and make their claim the game it stopped and the winners declared. Technology does that, so there is no human intervention time.
I thought the conclusion of the gane was at the Wagga Mega Event and therefore the race for the longest distance and most points would not be decided until then. If all three races are over at the completion of the fastest to finish race, then there is no need for these rules as only one TB will reach the final cache before the finish.

9. All Travel Bug racers logged into the final cache will be verified by a local geocacher either by a physical logbook entry or the actual Travel Bug racer in the cache.

12. Travel Bug racers that reach the final destination will be released into the wild and the owner will be responsible to change the mission or retrieve the Travel Bug racer.