The Long Way Round - TB race from South Africa to Australia

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 19 March 09 4:15 pm

caughtatwork wrote:There is a gotcha though. The instant someone finishes the race and make their claim the game it stopped and the winners declared. Technology does that, so there is no human intervention time.
<p>To follow on from gd__'s comments, it also means the winner is the first to claim the win, not necessarily the first one there. Using my points mentioned above TB A arrives in the cache on the 1st of January. The owner is on Christmas holidays for 2 weeks and not getting email.<p>TB B arrives on the 7th of January, the owner is home and promptly claims the win even though his bug was beaten to the punch.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 19 March 09 5:32 pm

Yep. Keep your eye on the prize and choose wisely. Be timely and don't leave it too late else you'll be pipped at the post.

Richary

Post by Richary » 19 March 09 10:32 pm

caughtatwork wrote:Yep. Keep your eye on the prize and choose wisely. Be timely and don't leave it too late else you'll be pipped at the post.
<p>OK, then the rules and game page need to be modified to say that the game concludes as soon as the first TB to meet the requirements is claimed in the destination cache. As that isn't clear anyway on the pages. This statement specifically implies otherwise:<p>
The concept of this game is to have your Travel Bug racer meet 7 mandatory requirement from its release point in South Africa and travel to the 1st Mega Avent in Australia.
<p>It mentions nothing about any dates except getting to Event in time. It doesn't even preclude someone bringing it to the event and dropping in the final cache during that time.<p>Also under Prizes the first criteria:<p>
# The Travel Bug racer who achieves the minimum 7 mandatory challenges and is first to reach the final destination cache provided the time period has not expired.
<p>States the first to reach the cache, not the first to be claimed.<p>OK being pedantic here but that's what rules are for. I also believe the termination of the game should be at the event to allow people whose bug hasn't got home continue to try to earn points for the next year in the other categories, otherwise it might be all over in a couple of months.

GhostGums
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by GhostGums » 29 March 09 7:17 pm

It would appear that either all the TB's were moved or they they were logged into the wrong cache.

Little bit of work for the administrators.[:D]

Richary

Post by Richary » 29 March 09 8:07 pm

Yes, mine was found in another cache and then moved straight to Germany (to an event unluckily). So I don't know if I can claim the made a 2nd Sth African cache requirement or not.

The finder logged it out of the TB hotel and into the other one himself though commenting that it was just fixing up the logs. Any ideas what happened here?

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 29 March 09 9:01 pm

I was worried for a few days that we would be having a very very short race.

Good to hear they have not been mass-muggled :D

Peter
Facitman

gd___
1600 or more caches found

Post by gd___ » 29 March 09 10:17 pm

richary wrote:Yes, mine was found in another cache and then moved straight to Germany (to an event unluckily). So I don't know if I can claim the made a 2nd Sth African cache requirement or not.

The finder logged it out of the TB hotel and into the other one himself though commenting that it was just fixing up the logs. Any ideas what happened here?
Looks like a number of the racers have taken this route. The rule only state that they must be logged into the start cache, not that they actually had to physically go there, so we are OK 8) .

Richary

Post by Richary » 29 March 09 10:24 pm

Hmmm, from the log on the cache mine was found in it looks like they got started in the wrong cache.

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... Submit6=Go
What a surprise! As we found the cache we saw that someone dropped here many TB's and Coins. It never took us so long to log a cache (to discover all the TB's and Coins)... Great view from that point.
Anyway, it has made it overseas but being an event can't claim it, so hopefully it gets logged elsewhere in there before it travels again.

EDIT: I would also like to know how the current race leader has completed 12 challenges, when it has taken the exact same path as mine (not found in the TB Hotel, found in Signal Hill, and then moved to the Germany event) with nothing else. And I can claim 2 challenges.

Can we claim the move from the TB Hotel to Signal Hill (if less than 1km) as 2 challenges - 2nd SA cache + the move or is it one challenge per cache? Also I can't see where the other 9 come from.
Last edited by Richary on 29 March 09 10:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found
Twitter: delboy1203

Post by delboy1203 » 29 March 09 10:33 pm

Hi all<p>
I definitely dropped them all in the start cache (TB Hotel). The cacher that has logged them contacted me letting me know that he had found them in a different cache and I recommended that he 'move' them. (Unfortunately, he hasn't moved mine!!)<p>
I'm guessing that another cacher (or the cache owner) moved them without logging them. Broadband access is very expensive in South Africa! About $1.50 for 20 minutes!<p>
I hope that this clears things up a bit. <p>

Richary

Post by Richary » 29 March 09 10:39 pm

Thanks mate, sounds they all got dumped in another cache by someone with no logs on either in between. Oh well, claim put in for the 2nd SA cache then as it meets the requirements :D

GhostGums
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by GhostGums » 29 March 09 11:07 pm

To claim the second cache, shouldn't it be "logged" in? Or is there a relaxation because of what happened? :D

delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found
Twitter: delboy1203

Post by delboy1203 » 29 March 09 11:32 pm

Give it a few days. The 'mover' may not have had internet access and may still attempt to log all the TBs. If this has not happened by, say, Wednesday night, I think everyone should log the move themselves. This will help with your distance travelled calculation and then you will also be allowed to log the move.<p>
Unfortunately the Signal Hill cache is a little off the beaten track as opposed to the TB Hotel cache and we may find our TBs get stuck there for some time!

Richary

Post by Richary » 29 March 09 11:53 pm

GhostGums wrote:To claim the second cache, shouldn't it be "logged" in? Or is there a relaxation because of what happened? :D
<p>Luckily whoever logged mine out of the 2nd cache also grabbed it and then logged it in first. So I am OK 8)

gd___

Post by gd___ » 30 March 09 12:30 am

richary wrote:EDIT: I would also like to know how the current race leader has completed 12 challenges, when it has taken the exact same path as mine (not found in the TB Hotel, found in Signal Hill, and then moved to the Germany event) with nothing else. And I can claim 2 challenges.
I assume it's 12 Points not challenges and they have logged challenge 15.

2. Every time your Travel Bug racer moves you select one challenge to check off your challenge list.

Does moving in to a cache and moving out of a cache count as two seperate moves?
Last edited by gd___ on 31 March 09 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Studit

Post by Studit » 31 March 09 12:13 pm

delboy1203 wrote: Unfortunately the Signal Hill cache is a little off the beaten track as opposed to the TB Hotel cache and we may find our TBs get stuck there for some time!
<p>
That'll knock off another challenge then...
<p>