"The Good 'Cache Hiding' Guide"

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 27 January 09 4:40 pm

Pesky! wrote:
Team Rubik wrote:Splel chick you're cash discripshin!!<br>
Yeah I cnoncurr!
Hello Pesky :D

totalube
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by totalube » 03 February 09 9:54 pm

<s>Here is a roughly edited summary of the thread so far; I have made minor edits, a bit of grouping and am in the process of doing a proper edit and organisation so I can add it to the wiki. I have included most things, but have excluded things that were in contention. I have tried to remove the same advice from different cachers to avoid doubling up.<P>

In advance I am sorry for this hack job, but will try to tidy this up over this week, any advice on this summary, or more hiding tips are welcome.<P>

I haven't included the authors of the posts, I am sure you all know who you are, but in the wiki, I will add the names of the contributors.<P></S>

<b>EDIT</B><P>

Sorry about those last 2 post, didn't realise how big they were. I will just continue editing it and placing it into the wiki when I think it is complete.

Ozibags
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Ozibags » 08 February 09 12:36 pm

When planning a cache, think about how the finder will exit from the area. For example placing a cache on the side of a rough (un-maintained) country track with deep wheel ruts that has NO turning around points (without damaging plants on either side) and leads through deep water further down the track that only a tractor could get thru. In this instance provide coords for a safe parking area and suggest walk /cycle to the cache along the track. Or say "Don't enter the track in a vehicle". If there IS a safe turning around area further down the track out of sight, give coords for it.

Advise in the log if a cache is only accessible by 4-wheel-drive.

OMY130

Post by OMY130 » 19 April 09 7:39 pm

If you can only 'hide' a small cache, make sure the logbook is also small.<BR>Cut it down it fit - don't fold it!!! <BR>Too may people are rushing to hide caches without preparing them properly.

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 19 April 09 7:55 pm

OMY130 wrote:If you can only 'hide' a small cache, make sure the logbook is also small.<BR>Cut it down it fit - don't fold it!!!
Good point and easy to do even if you don't have any 'tools'.
I cut down little notebooks for my small caches simply using the bread knife and chopping-board!

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by If » 19 April 09 8:12 pm

Yeah !! In an ideal world we would all comply with the "Good Cache Hiding Guide".
But if every cache looked the same, we would all get tired looking at each others :shock:
Without a bit of different thinking the world of caching would be rather boring. One of the pitfalls of thinking outside the box is that sometimes it needs some modification.
If you cannot accept the occasional attempt at livening up your caching life and suffering a wet logbook, then stay at home :P
Otherwise, do as I do and carry a cache repair kit and a sense of humour 8)