City to City caches

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found

City to City caches

Post by calumphing_four » 13 January 09 10:46 pm

Hi All,
Couldn't help noticing the new Aussie Icon hunt from Adelaide to Melbourne GC1KHVG, but also just discovered there is also one from Canberra to Adelaide too now.
Is there a list anywhere of multi's that go from city to city (not that I make many trips :( )?
Cheers 8)

Craig

Post by Craig » 13 January 09 11:31 pm

There's 'Capital to Capital City Cannon(ball) Run', and 'DAK's Emu Mob Was Here'.

Another epic cache that involves a lot of time on the road is Rhinogeo's 'Bill & Ham's Excellent Adventure'.

team unicycle
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by team unicycle » 13 January 09 11:54 pm

Adelaide -> Melbourne: A River Somewhere
Melbourne -> Adelaide: The Fugitive

Team Rubik

Post by Team Rubik » 14 January 09 7:39 am

I thought about making a bookmark list of these a little while back but thought it might reveal the surprise for some of them. It might be an idea to consider if you ask permission from some owners. Each state probably needs its own bookmark list of caches that finish in another state.
Last edited by Team Rubik on 14 January 09 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 14 January 09 9:34 am

Great Aussie Icon Hunt # 3 GCRX9B Sydney to Canberra

Garden To Garden (State) GCK2GM Sydney to Melbourne ( I think)

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 14 January 09 3:41 pm

Team Rubik wrote:I thought about making a bookmark list of these a little while back but thought it might reveal the surprise for some of them. It might be an idea to consider if you ask permission from some owners. Each state probably needs its own bookmark list of caches that finish in another state.
I don't think you need permission to create a bookmark of other peoples cachers.

Team Rubik

Post by Team Rubik » 14 January 09 3:55 pm

My point was that it would be polite to obtain permission for certain caches where the fact it finishes in another state is meant as a surprise, otherwise adding it to the list may spoil the intended fun/frustration of the owner.

calumphing_four

Post by calumphing_four » 14 January 09 6:10 pm

Team Rubik wrote:My point was that it would be polite to obtain permission for certain caches where the fact it finishes in another state is meant as a surprise, otherwise adding it to the list may spoil the intended fun/frustration of the owner.
Surely no one is that evil that they wouln't warn you that it's a 500+ km roundtrip. (I can think of a 300+km roundtrip that doesn't have a warning, but then there is only the first waypoint and then the cache :twisted: and you are more than likely to cover most of the distance at somepoint anyway).
However, the problem with a bookmark is that you need to then come across the bookmark in the first place to get to the others :?

Team Rubik

Post by Team Rubik » 14 January 09 6:43 pm

calumphing_four wrote:
Team Rubik wrote:My point was that it would be polite to obtain permission for certain caches where the fact it finishes in another state is meant as a surprise, otherwise adding it to the list may spoil the intended fun/frustration of the owner.
Surely no one is that evil that they wouln't warn you that it's a 500+ km roundtrip. (I can think of a 300+km roundtrip that doesn't have a warning, but then there is only the first waypoint and then the cache :twisted: and you are more than likely to cover most of the distance at somepoint anyway).
However, the problem with a bookmark is that you need to then come across the bookmark in the first place to get to the others :?
<br>
Your last point is valid, but I can't think of a better alternative. Not everyone uses GCA so a 'sticky' isn't the solution. As for the first point, yes there are people like that! Whether they would permit it or not I don't know, I merely suggested it would be polite to ask first.

mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found

Post by mtbikeroz » 14 January 09 9:16 pm

Capital to Capital City Cannon(ball) Run - Starts in Canberra.....
Ready Aim Cache - Starts in Canberra .....
Great Aussie Icon Hunt # 1 - Adelaide(#1) - Canberra
Great Aussie Icon Hunt # 1.4 - Adelaide to Melbourne
Great Aussie Icon Hunt # 2 - Brisbane(#2) - Canberra (Which I might add, "IF" found first riding his bike ALL the way!)
Great Aussie Icon Hunt # 3 - Sydney(#3) - Canberra
Great Aussie Icon Hunt # 4 - Melbourne(#4) - Canberra
Great Aussie Icon Hunt # 5 - Canberra(#5)
Great Aussie Icon Hunt # 5.1 - Canberra - Adelaide
Great Aussie Icon Hunt # 5.4 - Canberra - Melbourne

All the Windmill ones (Aussie Icons) are fully disclosed where each Windmill is, so you know exactly where you will be travelling.
As for the Cannonball run - I enjoyed the surprises.
Ready Aim Cache - Another surprise, nice!

shonkylogic

Post by shonkylogic » 14 January 09 9:49 pm

And outside the Capital Cities... there is at least one cache starting in Tassie and ending up on the mainland...

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 14 January 09 11:08 pm

In CQ, I have a series that needs a 600km round trip to find all 17 caches.

Cheers
Bundy

Alansee
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by Alansee » 15 January 09 11:44 am

I think that it is entirely fair and appropriate that one has an idea at least of where the cache will finish up before starting it. It's not much fun spending time on going to, finding, and figuring out, clues, only to find that gz is inaccessible. That is of course why the rule now exists about Unknowns being near gz.

One thing I find frustrating is the WP1 of a multi cache being nowhere near the posted coordinates. For eg. I was in Sydney VERY near wp1 of a long distacne cache but nowhere near the published coordinates, and I could have easily done the cache if I had known that it was there! Grrr... I travel interstate regularly and enjoy those long multi's.

So, I am all for the destinations of such caches being public knowledge.

mtbikeroz

Post by mtbikeroz » 15 January 09 7:25 pm

Alansee wrote:<br>
One thing I find frustrating is the WP1 of a multi cache being nowhere near the posted coordinates. For eg. I was in Sydney VERY near wp1 of a long distacne cache but nowhere near the published coordinates,
<br>
Back a few years ago, GC systems did NOT allow WP1 to be the same as the posted coords. (And there was some issue also with it being close after those waypoint tables first came out)<p>

If you are referring specifically to mine though, that was one reason, and also, those Windmills, nos 1-4 were planned to be "nominally from capital cities to Capital". They were laid when WP1 could not be the original posting. Hope that helps you understand a few things.