Free WiFi at McDonalds

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Post by Guest » 11 January 09 1:48 am

Papa Bear_Left wrote:(cue df2 to chime in with "pop-ups? what are they? don't you have a pop-up blocker?)
Erm what is this pop-up blocker you speak of? I thought you used Opera? :)

ausyota

Post by ausyota » 17 January 09 10:01 am

Im at Maccas in Busselton WA on my EEE right now and I had to pay :x

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 17 January 09 10:16 am

ausyota wrote:Im at Maccas in Busselton WA on my EEE right now and I had to pay :x
Yep, as per the link in the first post, that's still one of the Telstra hotspots, not one of their own.
I think the nearest is probably Rockingham, but that's a little more expensive in fuel than the wi-fi savings!

macandrita
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by macandrita » 17 January 09 4:33 pm

Hi Guys,

Took the old battered IBM Thinkpad into Atherton to the Computer shop to see if it was fitted with WiFi and also to get a quick lesson in wireless. Yes it did and lesson learnt. Shop wireless wasn't working so took it down and parked at Macca's. It found the unsecured Telstra service and 2 other secured services. I knew it was a pay site because once I was connected and tried to browse, the Telstra page popped up. I know the 2 Macca's at Darling Harbour are free and someone mentioned that some libraries are during work hours. Any other sites around Darling Harbour, the Rocks and the CBD in Sydney where we can log our finds before we head out? Also does NZ have any such spots in the major cities?

Mac and Rita aka macandrita

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

M..........a.........c.........w........i.........f........i

Post by If » 19 January 09 4:08 pm

I finally found one :lol:
No not a cache, a free MacWiFi :D
I was searching around Carina in Brisbane this morning and stumbled onto a puzzle cache. The PDA was hooked into a nearby Macca's WiFi and voila it worked :)
It worked extremely slowwwlllllly though :cry:
It would transfer 70 kb or so then catch it's breath for a minute before firing off another 15 kb or so ad nauseum....
A 350kb page took 5mins and 20 seconds to fully load, even with maximum signal indicated !!
It takes less than 5 secs on the PDA at my home WiFi hotspot :shock:

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 19 January 09 4:13 pm

big_matt wrote:I found this out during my Christmas trip to Bathurst. On Christmas day I went and did my logs.
How fast was Bathurst :?: I have not tried it yet :shock: :oops:

Post by Guest » 20 January 09 12:08 am

If wrote:A 350kb page took 5mins and 20 seconds to fully load, even with maximum signal indicated !!
Just because wifi is full steam ahead, doesn't mean it's the bottleneck in the connection ;)

I didn't think there was any connections more painful or slower than GPRS these days but you found it! ;)

angermanagement
550 or more Caches found
550 or more Caches found

Post by angermanagement » 20 January 09 12:33 am

If, I wonder if we were near each other then. On a visit to Grandmas today (Camp hill) and went via the Maccas at Pine mountain. Noticied that it had a sign up advertising free wifi.

traineediplomat
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by traineediplomat » 20 January 09 9:02 am

I tried the Maccas at Tuggeranong Lake in the ACT, it was very slow. The first "accept our conditions" thing from McDs was quick but then twas very slow on the Nokia. Luckily I wasn't requiring an internet service at the time!

Post by Guest » 13 February 09 6:51 pm

Maccas at nambour isn't free

If someone is doing up a waypoint list the location is approx. -26.62543,152.958676

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 13 February 09 7:45 pm

delta_foxtrot2 wrote:Maccas at nambour isn't free

If someone is doing up a waypoint list the location is approx. -26.62543,152.958676
Congratulations, now go back and read the first post to see which ones are free now, and to the FAQ. :roll:

mm

Post by Guest » 13 February 09 8:33 pm

Map Monkey wrote:Congratulations, now go back and read the first post to see which ones are free now, and to the FAQ.
Any particular reason you decided to point this out with my post and not any of the other posts indicating non-free locations?

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 13 February 09 8:47 pm

Any particular reason that you had to mention that "Maccas at nambour isn't free" ? :?

I only see one other posting, which was answered promptly by others.......

mm

Post by Guest » 13 February 09 9:15 pm

Map Monkey wrote:Any particular reason that you had to mention that "Maccas at nambour isn't free" ?

I only see one other posting, which was answered promptly by others.......
It seems you left all sense of decorum else where when you began typing today, do I need to start using more vulgar terms to describe things so that my subtle hints at politeness aren't lost in future?

Map Monkey

Post by Map Monkey » 13 February 09 9:27 pm