FDF as well as FTF

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
SecretSquirrel-BJC
2700 or more caches found
2700 or more caches found

Post by SecretSquirrel-BJC » 08 January 09 4:13 pm

Well mtrax - maybe you should start with yourself - and lead the way by example.

From now on, I will expect you to be proudly posting FDF logs on all new ACT caches - especially any that come out in say the next week or two.

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 08 January 09 5:24 pm

I shall attempt you use the *FDF* code, and hopefully this will be added as a feature in the future..

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 08 January 09 7:06 pm

mtrax wrote:I shall attempt you use the *FDF* code, and hopefully this will be added as a feature in the future..
No need to use any code.
caughtatwork wrote:http://geocaching.com.au/my/hotlist/firstdayfinds/
Here you go peeps, your list of FDF's for your statistical enjoyment.
It calculates automagically.

jusojara
3000 or more caches found
3000 or more caches found

Post by jusojara » 08 January 09 7:07 pm

As a newer FTF hunter I can say that there is a certain thrill to racing out of the house to try to grab the FTF however (again as a newer cacher) there is also a thrill to chasing the FDF especially on a puzzle, knowing you can work it our in a similar time to the more experienced cacher's around.

pirate 63

Post by pirate 63 » 08 January 09 7:17 pm

aaarrgh!
thanks caught at work,just checked mine,wow 317 first day finds!

still prefer my 'first to plunder! stats though :lol:

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 30 January 09 5:05 pm

I was wonder if we should remove Events from this statistic as by there nature they are always FDF

http://geocaching.com.au/my/hotlist/firstdayfinds/

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 30 January 09 5:13 pm

mtrax wrote:I was wonder if we should remove Events from this statistic as by there nature they are always FDF
What about those cachers turning up on Sunday to a camping weekend Event? :wink: Surely they can't be a First Day Find? :lol:

mm

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 30 January 09 5:15 pm

Map Monkey wrote:
mtrax wrote:I was wonder if we should remove Events from this statistic as by there nature they are always FDF
What about those cachers turning up on Sunday to a camping weekend Event? :wink: Surely they can't be a First Day Find? :lol:

mm
agreed :twisted:

mtbikeroz
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by mtbikeroz » 30 January 09 8:42 pm

FDF = ????<br>
mtrax originally said FDF = BTW when I say FDF I really me within first 24hrs (for those late night published caches)
<p>

However, C@W stats from http://geocaching.com.au/my/hotlist/firstdayfinds/ give instead <br>
(a) From the First find on a cache, finding it within the next 24hrs, in addition to<br>
(b) actual FTFs.<p>

As an example, see GCN6Y6 Snowy Mountains Hydro - Avenue of Flags Cooma, NSW, Australia, laid/published 21 March 2005, found first by Diadem on 23 April 2005, and then me a few hours later on the same day, within the first 24 hrs of the first FIND. Clearly 33 days is not a FDF according tto Mtrax's definition????<br>
This cache is on my list from C@W's stats as one of my FDF's.<p>

I don't think this is what is meant by the original meaning of FDF, or is it? <p>

My stats from C@W's link was 199, and I only have 105 FTF's. Sure, I expect to have more FDF's (within 24hrs of being published, but not 94 extra more - struck me as a bit high for my MO)<p>

To see what mtrax perhaps really meant, see what the great man himself wrote on a recent FTF FDF cache log of his at http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... b6aea5883e .<p>

Interesting discussion overall, definitely support the "journey theory" chasing FTF's at night to see magic city lights etc. I've seen Canberra at 5am in mid winter - magic from a mountain top. <br>
Just that the definition and C@W's stats seemed all very odd and perhaps misunderstood, by me at least :D :?: :?:

The Coffee's
4500 or more caches found

Post by The Coffee's » 30 January 09 10:31 pm

Echo wrote:Try my area, caches last a maximum of 10 minutes here.
That's why we have started calling them Fast To Find.
We have a lot of fast to find sharks here...
<p>
Fast to Find Sharks in your area?, 10 minutes from release to found? WOW I would like to be in an area like that. :roll: :wink: :shock: :lol: :lol:

The Coffee's

Post by The Coffee's » 30 January 09 10:46 pm

In theory it sounds interesting but where do we stop? FDF's, 2DF2TF (second day find 2nd to find), 2DFFTF (second day find first to find), 7DF2TF (7th day find second to find), etc ,etc<p>
Keeping it simple FTF is First to Find no matter how long it takes

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 31 January 09 4:09 am

Mr.Coffee and the Clan wrote: Keeping it simple FTF is First to Find no matter how long it takes
You would think so but a recent FTF of mine was challenged by someone finding it a couple of weeks later and claiming I hadn't written in the log book! I had to post a picture of the cache before they retracted their accusations!

mtrax

Post by mtrax » 31 January 09 7:51 am

Mr.Coffee and the Clan wrote:In theory it sounds interesting but where do we stop? FDF's, 2DF2TF (second day find 2nd to find), 2DFFTF (second day find first to find), 7DF2TF (7th day find second to find), etc ,etc<p>
Keeping it simple FTF is First to Find no matter how long it takes
I think FDF was infact where I'm suggesting it stops, but the main aim is to encourage people to get out when cache is released..
I hear now-one complaining about the Olympic 1st,2nd and 3rd placing as well as runners up frequently appearing in most sports.

but for some reason we have the mentality of FTF or nothing else is worthwhile. this takes nothing away from FTF, but this has nothing to do with FTF

Echo
1800 or more caches found
1800 or more caches found

Post by Echo » 31 January 09 10:53 am

Mr.Coffee and the Clan wrote:
Echo wrote:Try my area, caches last a maximum of 10 minutes here.
That's why we have started calling them Fast To Find.
We have a lot of fast to find sharks here...
<p>
Fast to Find Sharks in your area?, 10 minutes from release to found? WOW I would like to be in an area like that. :roll: :wink: :shock: :lol: :lol:
Image -> Image

The Coffee's

Post by The Coffee's » 01 February 09 10:22 am

Echo wrote:
Image -> Image
<p>
I have got to get more smiley's Mmmm Morning Coffee :D