Co-ordinate accuracy

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Post by Guest » 30 December 08 4:46 pm

CaleD wrote:This the one? I think I stumbled across the same site while trying to gather topo information :)
That would be it, what topo info are you after?

NASA released a bunch of 3 second DEM files a while back that cover the globe.

Post by Guest » 30 December 08 5:07 pm

Can't find what I did with the photos he took, but it looks something like this...

http://www.ga.gov.au/image_cache/GA5268.jpg

And to think, little things like that round the country make sure we are where we're supposed to be! ;)

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 30 December 08 9:16 pm

Not being placed by one of the cachers who doesn't use a GPS by any chance, and just finds off maps?

thismechanican

Post by thismechanican » 31 December 08 10:49 am

He's (I'm assuming a him) a very new cacher - less than 30 finds, so he just might not know the rules.

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

gallileo gallilee

Post by If » 31 December 08 8:52 pm

Maybe the real problem lies with the Earth itself ? :shock:
Apparently it moves :shock:
That's gotta affect the accuracy of any GPS system :oops:

Seriously, do we really want spot on coords ? It takes away the "search" bit of a find (sometimes) :D

Re: gallileo gallilee

Post by Guest » 31 December 08 9:21 pm

If wrote:Maybe the real problem lies with the Earth itself ? :shock:
Apparently it moves :shock:
That's gotta affect the accuracy of any GPS system :oops:

Seriously, do we really want spot on coords ? It takes away the "search" bit of a find (sometimes) :D
Everything is moving, the earth's plates are moving, the earth is rotating around its axis, and orbiting the sun and so on and so on. ;)

GPS is pretty fixed though, they correct things to make it stable, even if the plates are moving under it ;)

KevL
250 or more caches found
250 or more caches found
Twitter: Grumpykev

Post by KevL » 31 December 08 10:45 pm

If wrote: Seriously, do we really want spot on coords ? It takes away the "search" bit of a find (sometimes) :D
So long as it's close your exactly right. As time and finds go by the ability to spot a cache or likely hide improves. Thats what it's all about.:D
Wouldn't be much fun if all you had to do was follow the pointer until it counted down to zero and the cache was at your feet. May as well put a hi viz flag on it.:shock:

Kev

mark_rattigan
800 or more hollow logs searched
Twitter: m_ratt

Post by mark_rattigan » 03 January 09 12:30 am

If wrote:Seriously, do we really want spot on coords ? It takes away the "search" bit of a find (sometimes) :D
I read that as the point of the OP's question - how much inaccuracy is too much?

Post by Guest » 03 January 09 12:46 am

mark_rattigan wrote:I read that as the point of the OP's question - how much inaccuracy is too much?
I saw someone, or 2 post answers already.

Most consumer grade GPSr are ok for 5-10m accuracy, and if it's any more than this post better co-ords in notes.

mark_rattigan
Twitter: m_ratt

Post by mark_rattigan » 03 January 09 12:52 am

delta_foxtrot2 wrote:
mark_rattigan wrote:I read that as the point of the OP's question - how much inaccuracy is too much?
I saw someone, or 2 post answers already.

Most consumer grade GPSr are ok for 5-10m accuracy, and if it's any more than this post better co-ords in notes.
Sounds fair enough.
What about someone deliberately introducing accuracy to the coordinates of their hide to make it more difficult - how much inaccuracy increases the challenge? how much is unreasonable?

Post by Guest » 03 January 09 1:04 am

mark_rattigan wrote:What about someone deliberately introducing accuracy to the coordinates of their hide to make it more difficult - how much inaccuracy increases the challenge? how much is unreasonable?
Most of the time I've seen this they left clues as to the real location.

Papa Bear_Left

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 03 January 09 2:23 am

mark_rattigan wrote:What about someone deliberately introducing accuracy to the coordinates of their hide to make it more difficult - how much inaccuracy increases the challenge? how much is unreasonable?
On geocaching.com at least, it's against the guidelines. The use of accurate coords must be demonstrated for all physical caches.
(Sadly, that's quoted without looking it up; I think I've memorised most of that document by now!)

And, really, what's fun about saying "It's under one of the bushes within 50m of here", requiring a lot of tedious searching? (As you might gather, not a fan of "haystack" caches!)

Post by Guest » 03 January 09 3:11 am

Papa Bear_Left wrote:And, really, what's fun about saying "It's under one of the bushes within 50m of here", requiring a lot of tedious searching? (As you might gather, not a fan of "haystack" caches!)
Actually they are a little more accurate then that, but usually more cryptic and/or ironic aussie type humour.