TB/Geocoin race

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Would you be interested in racing a TB or Geocoin from South Africa to Australia?

Yes
57%
No
21%
Maybe - tell me more first
21%

Total votes: 28

delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found
Twitter: delboy1203

TB/Geocoin race

Post by delboy1203 » 22 December 08 9:55 am

I'm off to South Africa in March next year and was wondering if anyone is interested in taking part in a TB/Geocoin race from South Africa back to Australia.<p>
I'm still in the planning stages, so suggestions always welcome. Currently, my thinking is that the race will end at "AUSTRALIA'S FIRST EVER MEGA EVENT" in April 2010.<p>
A show of hands please...<p>
PS: I'm also looking for donations of prizes for the winners in various categories ie most distance travelled, most caches visited, etc

GhostGums
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by GhostGums » 22 December 08 11:28 am

Perhaps one of our Wagga friends can set up a finsihing line cache at the Mega site. :D

Count me in! 8)

I am sure geofillans would also be interested as we have just started our race at www.tbrace.com

team unicycle
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by team unicycle » 22 December 08 4:52 pm

There are so many travel bugs and coins around these days, and my impression is that people no longer pay much attention to their goals, and coins have a tendency to just disappear. I aren't very confident that it would work.

Incidentally, my TB won the Oz TB race in 2004 but I never got my hands on it - it went back out of state before I could get it. Now it's stuck with someone who had promised to move it on but now just ignores my emails (if anyone know T.Trudi please give them a nudge for me)

pjamesk
300 or more found
300 or more found

Post by pjamesk » 22 December 08 9:13 pm

team unicycle wrote:Now it's stuck with someone who had promised to move it on but now just ignores my emails
<p>I know the feeling I have a one in the same boat :cry: emails done work. But hey thats the chance you take when you set them free</p>
<P>I'll be in it sounds like fun. :D I have a Tasmania 2008 coin you can have as a prize.</p>

S2333
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by S2333 » 23 December 08 2:06 am

Yeah I usually read the goals and help it along.
I find if you make your own little tag so it has the goal written on it and you can find out its goal from that.
However I would like to know the location of one of my travel bugs that has travelled up north for a good few months now.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 23 December 08 11:58 am

I'd be in :-) Hey, it's just a piece of metal that will go missing at some point :-)

I've also responded to say that cachinggames.com would be interested in helping to track the bugs, so as this is going to be in March, let's have some ideas about what the bugs needs to achieve before they get back to Oz.

andiamo
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by andiamo » 23 December 08 7:45 pm

Yes, we could probably be coaxed to activate a coin for this adventure - count us in :P

trunksnsuch
1000 or more caches found
1000 or more caches found

Post by trunksnsuch » 15 January 09 3:41 pm

I'm definitely in and so (I think) is Crisp Image. I will be collecting TB's & coins at the Meat & Greet Gathering in Churchill on the 18th January.

They may go missing, but it's fun to watch their progress along the way.

I will have some TB's (& some Aussie type attachments) & coins that aren't activated for sale at the event if anyone would like to take advantage of the convenience. You would have to take the photo then and there and activate it when you get home, via the copy or the coin no (I will put an attachment on so people know what the TB/coin wants to do. Mind you, they can also be purchased just for the collecting.

Seeing that it's such a long way, what about a photographic challenge of buildings, dogs, horses, windmills, etc along the way.

Team Piggy

Post by Team Piggy » 16 January 09 12:08 am

We are still awaiting most of the bugs from Australia's first ever travel bug race. (Oz bug race 2004) to even arrive in the country!

Some are still in the UK !!

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 16 January 09 9:09 pm

S2333 wrote:I find if you make your own little tag so it has the goal written on it and you can find out its goal from that.
<p>Bugs with goals definitely need a tag. I found one here in Sydney that the goal was to move it to the closest unfound cache nearby. Problem was where it was located someone could have easily grabbed it leaving Sydney for Brisbane and not read the goal until the got home.<p>As for the 2004 race, I remember grabbing one from Melbourne airport to bring back to Adelaide to it's destination cache. Not the winner but at least it got home.

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 17 January 09 10:27 am

My 2004 bug made it within a kilometre of my house after being stranded on an Austrian mountain for months. I recently repaired his eyes and sent him on his way again.

As for this race, I don't have any spare TB tags, so I might sit this one out. Although if it's March, maybe I can get something together.

the freaks

Post by the freaks » 17 January 09 11:47 am

team unicycle wrote:(if anyone know T.Trudi please give them a nudge for me)
You have a PM :wink:

crane2
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by crane2 » 17 January 09 11:47 pm

I'm in - let us know where and when you want them!

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 26 January 09 11:14 am

The Long Way Round (The race to Australia's 1st ever Mega Event)
http://www.cachinggames.com/lwr/index.php

The game is now open for signup.
* Travel Bug racers MUST be sent to delboy1203 by 1-March-2009 in order to be placed into the start point in South Africa.
* Travel Bug racers received after this date will not be eligible for inclusion in this game.
* delboy1203's address details can be found by click on the Contact an Administrator link on the left navigation area.
* You must join this game first to see this link.

You now have about 4 weeks to get your bug ready and sent to delboy1203 by 1-Mar-2009.

Enjoy.