Internet search engines

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
The Owls

Internet search engines

Post by The Owls » 18 December 08 7:32 am

I understand there is a problem using Internet Explorer as your search engine. On the radio this morning the announcer said that their IT department instructed them that due to the security problem it should not be used. Apparently all your passwords are able to be copied. If I can not use Internet Explorer how can I access the net. As I am not computer savy I would appreciate any information.

team unicycle
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by team unicycle » 18 December 08 8:46 am

Many people use and prefer Firefox instead of IE, myself included. It is free, and can be downloaded from http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/firefox/

Crisp image
350 ? I am the lizard queen
350 ? I am the lizard queen

Post by Crisp image » 18 December 08 8:48 am

Lots of people I know use Firefox.
www.mozilla.com/firefox
There are lots of other browsers. Do a google search on web browsers
There is Opera, Ntscape navigator and proberly heaps of others. Mr Microsoft wants us to use his IE but here are betteer options. Some web sites will require IE to access such as microsoft.
I hope this helps
Merry Christmas
Crisp Image

Map Monkey
1050 or more caches found
1050 or more caches found

Post by Map Monkey » 18 December 08 9:07 am

The security patch has already been released.....go to Windows Update to get the Security Update for Internet Explorer 7 for Windows XP (KB960714) if you don't have automatic updating switched on. Strange that the IT guys were not aware that microsoft mentioned that it was going to be ready for this morning. Not transmitting all the relevant information is of concern here. :shock: :?

mm

Post by Guest » 18 December 08 1:45 pm

www.opera.com is lovely, even if this bug gets fixed its only a matter of time till the next one hits IE and infects you.

Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen
400 or more spectacular views seen

Post by Gunn Parker » 18 December 08 1:51 pm

Crisp image wrote:Do a google search on web browsers
There is Opera, Ntscape navigator and proberly heaps of others.
How can he do a google search if his IT dept says not to use IE?

:)

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 18 December 08 2:00 pm

delta_foxtrot2 wrote:www.opera.com is lovely, even if this bug gets fixed its only a matter of time till the next one hits IE and infects you.
OMG, I agree with df2 on something! (enters note in red in diary!) :)

Opera is small, fast, has built-in most of the features that you end up with in FF after you've added lots of extensions, and is still a small enough market share to avoid most of the exploits.

I use it for my day-to-day browsing, and only use FF for reviewing (there's some very handy Greasemonkey scripts, and it's also handy to have seperate logins.)

Mr Router
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by Mr Router » 18 December 08 4:13 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote: OMG, I agree with df2 on something! (enters note in red in diary!) :)
:oops:

The Owls

Post by The Owls » 19 December 08 6:55 am

Thank you all for your help. I have used the windows update. In the new year I will look at using another search engine as mentioned above. Thanks again

Damo.

Post by Damo. » 19 December 08 9:38 am

The Owls wrote:Thank you all for your help. I have used the windows update. In the new year I will look at using another search engine as mentioned above. Thanks again
Just to make you a little more savvy:
Internet explorer is a "browser", a "search engine" is google, yahoo etc.
:wink:

Ksix
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Ksix » 19 December 08 2:33 pm

Or another you could try is Chrome - Googles own offering in the browser wars.

S2333
1 or more caches found
1 or more caches found

Post by S2333 » 19 December 08 11:12 pm

I use Firefox and Chrome.
Chrome is a nice lightweight browser and is useful for most users.
Firefox is a bit more fleshed out and more customisable and popular.

Post by Guest » 20 December 08 2:36 am

drquoz writes "Last week, it was reported that a critical security flaw was found in Internet Explorer. On Tuesday, experts were advising users not to use IE until a patch could be released. On Wednesday, Microsoft released the patch. An interesting quote from the article: 'Kandek suggests that Microsoft is at a disadvantage in updating Internet Explorer because its browser doesn't have a built-in update mechanism like other browser makers. Mozilla, for instance, just released Firefox 3.05 to Firefox users through its auto-update system.'"

http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/sla ... article.pl
Startled Hippo writes "Safari and Chrome are tied for the worst password manager built into a major Web browser according to a new study on the issue produced by Chapin Information Services. One problem is that some password managers can be tricked into submitting different password credentials to different parts of the same Web site. The bug has been fixed in Firefox, but Chrome and Safari are still vulnerable to this kind of attack."

http://rss.slashdot.org/~r/Slashdot/sla ... article.pl