Would you remove a cache item?

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Would you remove a cache item?

Post by mundoo » 15 December 08 5:21 pm

I have just been looking through this months 12 of 12 photos and one of them showed a cache that was found that day and one of the swag items in the cache was a tampon (unused btw).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/wvangler/3103629262

This got me thinking as to why put something like that in there?

And if I had found that cache would I leave the tampon there? (No I would remove it, I don't think it is a family-friendly item)

And for the female contingent would you use it if you retrieved it?

Have you removed cache swag that you considered to be unsuitable?
Did you make a log entry about the removal?

I am curious as to what others do.

Post by Guest » 15 December 08 6:55 pm

What about unused teenage girls g-string underwear, shocked me some what.

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 15 December 08 8:25 pm

I have removed fire crackers from a cache, mainly because I don't think anything that flammable should be in a cache, especially in the Australian bush!

I've heard of other people finding cigarettes in a cache and removing them, which I think is good as they're certainly not an appropriate item to be left.

I think the tampon issue has come up before on these forums. Personally I wouldn't leave them in a cache and would be unlikely to take them either, but I don't think they're necessarily not a family-friendly item per se. I don't think its really any different to leaving any item you might find in a first aid kid, like a dressing or bandage - and like the those items, as long as they are well wrapped there should be no problem. But I don't think they'd be a very popular swap!

CaleD
100 or more tracks walked
100 or more tracks walked

Post by CaleD » 15 December 08 9:06 pm

The nastiest thing I've found in cache were a heap of fishing hooks. They were in a packet, but they had poked their way through and were on their way out. Not something that I'd like to find if I stuck my hand in blindly!!

zactyl

Re: Would you remove a cache item?

Post by zactyl » 15 December 08 9:33 pm

mundoo wrote:This got me thinking as to why put something like that in there?
Probably a new cacher who hadn't brought along any swaps and simply used what they had on hand. I've been guilty of raiding a glovebox on my first cache trip and leaving some condoms in a cache! :lol:
Now I know better... 8)
I've removed ruined swaps (rusted/mouldy) but I wouldn't remove a dry, wrapped tampon (or condoms for that matter!). As for "family friendly", children need to know about periods, and the earlier they're told the easier and less awkward and uncomfortable it is for everyone.

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 15 December 08 9:37 pm

i've removed food items like lollies and even packets of hot chocolate. Once i found a can of tuna. I think food attracts the wildlife and not in a positive way. Food should be left out of caches.

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by If » 15 December 08 9:46 pm

Yes :D
I always remove razor blades and those pesky el cheapo retractable knives or scrapers that some people seem to think make great swaps for the geokiddies , or damaged, waterlogged and rusty items :shock:
Those rotten moist towlettes and napkins from the local fast food outlet are also a favourite 'binning' item for me :lol:
CITO doesn't stand for crap in, treasure out :wink:

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 15 December 08 9:51 pm

I have removed fireworks, lighters, knives and so on before. Not sure about any of the more personal items listed before, haven't found them! Food has also been taken (that said I wouldn't necessarily remove a tin of tuna as it won't attract the animals etc which is the offical objection against food - though I wouldn't guarantee it's shelf life in a hot area).

crane2
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found

Post by crane2 » 15 December 08 11:54 pm

I always take out "Bubble blowing mixture" as I have seen several caches ruined by leaking bottles and also a cigarette and a lighter. And yes, I have commented on this in the log.

Post by Guest » 16 December 08 12:42 am

richary wrote:I have removed fireworks
Apart from the ACT, where are people getting their mits on fireworks exactly?

Marcus Vitruvius
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Marcus Vitruvius » 16 December 08 1:26 am

I once found a couple of bullets in a cache. Removed them immediately without hesitation.

delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found
Twitter: delboy1203

Post by delboy1203 » 16 December 08 8:02 am

Just a thought, but maybe the tampon was there to absorb moisture... ? Not sure if this argument holds water? :roll:

mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by mundoo » 16 December 08 8:09 am

delta_foxtrot2 wrote:
richary wrote:I have removed fireworks
Apart from the ACT, where are people getting their mits on fireworks exactly?
This is a question I ask several times a year where I live, especially New Years Eve! I am in a rural/remote from a town area with under 90 shacks (10 of us live there permanently). We are too far out for the police to get here to do anything in a timely manner, and New Years Eve they are busy in the large towns. We are surrounded by paddocks and even the fireys take 1/2hr to get here.

I have asked the question and have been told ebay. I have no idea if that is true.

mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by mundoo » 16 December 08 8:15 am

delboy1203 wrote:Just a thought, but maybe the tampon was there to absorb moisture... ? Not sure if this argument holds water? :roll:
Now that's a thought!
Has a paper wrapping that would not hinder the water, but from watching those adverts on TV I am led to believe that the wings style items have better absorption abilities with glasses of water being used to demonstrate those qualities.
Last edited by mundoo on 16 December 08 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 16 December 08 9:28 am

Maybe that tampon was just left there to spread joy and fun amongst geocachers?

I mean, on the ads it seems like the young women who use them are always much happier after they switch brands, splashing in the surf and riding horses and laughing merrily!
No cramps and hot flushes, they're reserved for the foolish women who take those pills that seem to cause them!