Does anyone else feel "guilty" when.....

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
fidjit
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Does anyone else feel "guilty" when.....

Post by fidjit » 09 December 08 11:19 am

the cache you've just found has a DNF logged after your find. Do you worry that you hadn't rehidden properly ???

Case in point, one I did in Sydney had 4 DNFs after I did it. As such I started feeling guilty that I hadn't rehidden it properly, it's fallen off as I hadn't reattached it properly, it was muggled cause someone saw me....etc...etc....

The DNFs weren't new cachers and to me the hide was pretty obvious.

I put a watch on the cache and kept seeing DNFs.........

I couldnt' go and check it myself

Of course the fifth log was a find, so obviously I was worried about nothing :P

does anyone else get these feelings ???? :D

Note: I didn't feel guilty enough to buy a plane fare to Sydney to check however.... :P

Snuva
1500 or more caches found
1500 or more caches found
Twitter: Snuva

Post by Snuva » 09 December 08 1:08 pm

Yes, it worries me too. You wonder if you weren't stealthy enough so you're responsible for it being muggled, you didn't place it back solidly, the place you hid a moveable might have had too much security etc. But all you can do is the best you can do!<P>

I of course also feel guilty when I tell a cache owner I'll replace his moveable but it takes me forever as I'm looking for a small plastic bag and my usual supplier no longer has them. . . :oops: :wink: :cry:

pprass
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by pprass » 09 December 08 1:36 pm

Yes of course we do. And we believe that anyone with half a conscience and regard for this game should feel the same way. We hate it when a DNF is reported after our find - and unfortunately it has happened a few times.
Someone once mentioned that there is a stats page in GCA that lists cachers in descending order with that dishonorable statistic - C@W is it still there? Hope we are way down on the list :(

zactyl

Post by zactyl » 09 December 08 1:41 pm

I dislike public hides for this very reason, give me a nice quiet bush setting any day :)

fidjit
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by fidjit » 09 December 08 1:51 pm

zactyl wrote:I dislike public hides for this very reason, give me a nice quiet bush setting any day :)
Even if it's a bush hid, if the next find is a DNF, I'd be thinking...... maybe I didn't cover it properly , or put it deep enough in the hole or someone was watching me or aliens took my baby or....................

Must just have a guilty conscience..... :)

Ksix
500 or more caches logged

Post by Ksix » 09 December 08 2:12 pm

We very much dislike it more when we log a DNF on a cache only to see someone that very afternoon (or next day) log "quick easy find" or "found without any trouble" etc etc :oops: :oops: </br></br>
Guess it comes down to</br></br>
"Some days you've got it and others NOT !!!" :lol: :lol: </br></br>

Cheers,</br>
Ksix</br>
"Eat... Sleep... Geocache..."

GammaPiSigma
450 or more roots tripped over
450 or more roots tripped over

Post by GammaPiSigma » 09 December 08 2:16 pm

Fidjit,<br><br>
You have every right to be concerned it shows you care about what you are doing which is a good thing.<br><br>
I think an even worse situation is when the cache does disappear after you were the last finder. A case in point: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... 2f02&log=y
<br><br>
When I found the above cache it was barely covered and when I put it back I put heaps of cover over it as I was concerned that it was far too easy to see from the nearby track.
<br><br>
Mike.

Team Wibble
2100 or more geocaches found
2100 or more geocaches found

Post by Team Wibble » 09 December 08 2:57 pm

I think its natural to feel guilty but if you have been caching responsibly then you should have a clear conscience. These things happen.

Make sure it is hidden as found and that you weren't observed while finding it and you can't really be responsible if the next finds are DNFs.

On the other hand, if you write a log like the last team to find this cache....
http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... y&decrypt=

:roll:

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 09 December 08 2:57 pm

pprass wrote:Yes of course we do. And we believe that anyone with half a conscience and regard for this game should feel the same way. We hate it when a DNF is reported after our find - and unfortunately it has happened a few times.
Someone once mentioned that there is a stats page in GCA that lists cachers in descending order with that dishonorable statistic - C@W is it still there? Hope we are way down on the list :(
You're 10th in Victoria with a score of 12 :-)

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 09 December 08 6:22 pm

Whats worse is the cacher after you reports the cache has been muggled, or worse destroyed. I've had that happen, a couple of times. Makes me wonder if I was spotted replacing it, or didnt replace well enough.

Cheers
Bundy

nomad_penguin
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by nomad_penguin » 09 December 08 6:31 pm

I keep a 'Guilt List', that is, a bookmark list on GC where I add each cache after I find it. Once the cache is successfully found, I remove it from the list. That way, if there are several DNFs, and I can go and check, I will (it's never happened as far as I can recall).

It's also interesting to see how frequently some caches are found. Z caches and the like have often sat on 'The Guilt List' for months :roll:.

big dazza

Post by big dazza » 10 December 08 12:25 am

I too anxiously await caches I find to be found again. So far I have 5 on my watch list, 1 confirmed last to find (very embarrassing) and 1 broken container (oops) :oops: Oh, busted by police once too :shock:

strong-arm

Post by strong-arm » 10 December 08 9:43 am

caughtatwork wrote:
pprass wrote:Yes of course we do. And we believe that anyone with half a conscience and regard for this game should feel the same way. We hate it when a DNF is reported after our find - and unfortunately it has happened a few times.
You're 10th in Victoria with a score of 12 :-)
For the paranoid amongst us, is this stat available to all within the site somewhere?

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 10 December 08 10:31 am

I've looked at the "last to find" stats occasionally and some of the same names keep appearing there.

However, it's not because of lack of care on their part, generally, it's more that these are outback travellers who come across the remnants of UV-destroyed plastic containers placed in the early days of caching, before we had the experience to know that a lunchbox doesn't do well in the middle of a desert for years!

The Spindoctors

Post by The Spindoctors » 10 December 08 10:45 am

Two months ago I placed four TBs in a cache that then disappeared.

I felt bad five times over - once for the cache owner and again for each of the TB owners.

A week later I placed another TB in one of my caches, onyl to find it went AWOL soon afterwards.