Launching Australia's First Ever Mega Event-Wagga Wagga 2010

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
roostaman
10000 or more caches found

Re: Launching Australia's First Ever Mega Event-Wagga Wagga 2010

Post by roostaman » 24 March 10 10:21 pm

ian-and-penny wrote:Has anyone thought to prepare an electronic map of the area that can be used in OziExplorer?
Ian, Ozi maps exist for this area & I have had them for years, some Wagga topo & UBD maps for the PDA & the laptop. :wink:
However, since using a TomTom, Garmin Map60 & Oregon 300, I have had no need for the old maps, especially around here.
Granted, there is some tracks in the local forest that the old ozi maps would be good for, but so are the Garmin maps these days.

So, they could be available if needed, but I'd suggest you probably won't need them.

Roosta

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 24 March 10 11:05 pm

Also check the Hardware/Software forum for info on things like Open Streetmaps and so on. There are also ones that can upload maps to Garmin GPS units like my 60cx.

If you are a premium member of GC you can download a Google Earth kml file to display caches as well, so quite a few options.

Geodes

Post by Geodes » 25 March 10 12:39 pm

roostaman wrote:
ian-and-penny wrote:Has anyone thought to prepare an electronic map of the area that can be used in OziExplorer?
Ian, Ozi maps exist for this area & I have had them for years, some Wagga topo & UBD maps for the PDA & the laptop. :wink:
However, since using a TomTom, Garmin Map60 & Oregon 300, I have had no need for the old maps, especially around here.
Granted, there is some tracks in the local forest that the old ozi maps would be good for, but so are the Garmin maps these days.

So, they could be available if needed, but I'd suggest you probably won't need them.

Roosta
It's gratifying to note that TomTom (in particular) maps are good for this area - however there may be visitors who don't have TomToms (or are from OS and don't have aussie maps) and, remember, TomTom has a bad habit of picking wildly circuitous routes to some spots if you haven't checked them out first. I find oziexplorer to be the most useful tool for getting an overall picture of an area and planning a day's caching and the variety, details and range of views offered makes it particularly useful. I've spent some time over the last few days preparing maps of the area for ozi - mostly the free maps from GPS Australia and the 250K series from ga.gov.au. I'm happy to put my stuff up for sharing (it's all public domain) and I'd be interested to see what others have got too - but is there a convenient location from which to disseminate this stuff?

TaylorBrats

Post by TaylorBrats » 26 March 10 11:47 am

So. One week to go!

I had stated my intention to attend last March. Do we need to do anything more (aside from show up?!)?

Hoping to camp onsite.

Will be good to meet a few more of you!

mundoo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by mundoo » 26 March 10 3:23 pm

TaylorBrats wrote:So. One week to go!

I had stated my intention to attend last March. Do we need to do anything more (aside from show up?!)?

Hoping to camp onsite.
Register and pay and book camping spot and pay and order meals (if required) and pay. All before you get there.

Ciril
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Ciril » 28 March 10 7:56 pm

I remember somewhere along the line it was mentioned that there would be a puzzle or multi cache leading to the mega, does anyone know what happened to that?

La Kedi
6000 or more caches found
6000 or more caches found

Post by La Kedi » 28 March 10 10:03 pm

Riverina Geocaching wrote:
La Kedi wrote:Any idea as to when we might see those puzzle caches that start in each capital city and end at Wagga published?
Unfortunately, we couldnt progress with that original idea and had to dismiss it prior to xmas. All the original teams organised to assist were emailed or phoned and explained the reasons.
We just couldnt work out a fair system in the end for all to complete in it,via their respective capital cities.There were too many teams in the end that resided in remote areas and wouldnt get to the capital city in the 2 or 3 months prior. So to be fair we changed ideas.
Saying that, on a better positive note since then, many many many more competitions and prizes have been added that will far outweigh the original idea.You will be able to thank many of the 28 sponsors , who have added to the competitions since.

Ciril

Post by Ciril » 29 March 10 12:46 pm

Thanks for that, missed that post

Spruce Mooses
1000 or more caches found

Post by Spruce Mooses » 29 March 10 6:11 pm

We're heading up Thursday Night...where are people staying in Wagga? Anyone recommend a good campsite?

Bundyrumandcoke
5000 or more caches found

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 29 March 10 6:18 pm

Our plans have changed ever so slightly. Now departing Tassie tomorrow night, instead of Wednesday evening. Gives us 2 days to go from Melbourne to Wagga via Ballarat.

I havent logged any trackables yet, as our inventory is fluid, with them coming and going as we travel. I will log what we have on board on Thursday evening.

Now, I wonder, who is going to grab the FTF on the event (yes I know someone has already logged an "attended" log, but that doesnt count) Is it going to be the first person through the gate at 0900 Friday? If thats the case, it might be worthwhile setting up camp at the gate about lunchtime Thursday. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Cheers
Bundy

Richary

Post by Richary » 29 March 10 9:47 pm

Spruce Mooses wrote:We're heading up Thursday Night...where are people staying in Wagga? Anyone recommend a good campsite?
A group of Adelaide people and myself from Sydney (ex Adelaide) are camping at Oura Beach on the Thursday night. Should be a nice spot by the river and free. I am sure any interstaters would be welcome. Nice and close to event for an early Friday arrival and stake out of good camping spots onsite!

Should be near GCWKJP, they are planning on getting there about 6 and I might try for a bit earlier only coming from Sydney. Will put the CB on UHF Channel 28 as I get close unless someone else chooses another one if you are radio equipped, look for a silver Grand Vitara that isn't in geocaching camo (it's obvious when you see it).

Bundyrumandcoke

Post by Bundyrumandcoke » 29 March 10 10:37 pm

Can members of the Queensland rabble join in? Sounds like a place to stay Thursday night. Just have to find it.

Cheers
Bundy

ian-and-penny

Post by ian-and-penny » 29 March 10 10:57 pm

Will there be room for us too?

Landcruiser & Caravan

Spruce Mooses

Post by Spruce Mooses » 30 March 10 12:09 am

Yep, count us in! That sounds great. We'll give you a bell on channel 28 when we're close. Bringing the Landcruiser ute and Tent. It'd be great to catch up with you too i&p!

Richary

Post by Richary » 30 March 10 12:26 am

From the looks of it it is a fairly big camping area though haven't been there myself. The more the merrier.Just follow the cache link I posted above and we should all be able to meet up.

The alternative a bit east is Wantabadgery, I have been there and that has loads of room, but this one should be OK from what I gather.