Spider eats bird

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Re: spiders, spiders everywhere

Post by Guest » 27 October 08 8:51 pm

If wrote:Like most newspaper stuff and folklore, things get exaggerated.
How else would they sell papers otherwise?

Do you think everything on the evening news is reported in an accurate, fair and unbiased manner? or do you think they spin everything to make it sound more interesting then it really is?

:)

chatmanais
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by chatmanais » 27 October 08 9:32 pm

If wrote: The best the spider can hope to do is nibble on a bit of flesh or lick up the juices as the carcas decays :D
<P> The same goes with these as with most spiders, they inject enzymes and other digestive juices which break down and liquify the internal tissues of the prey, then suck up the melted juices (known as external digestion). So basically in the birds case you are left with an empty bird shell or slightly less depending on how long the spider keeps the prey in the web. With the one i spoke of eating a sunbird, the dead bird was in the spiders web for a week before it was slowly sucked away. The carcass does not tend to decay with much speed at all because it is generally wrapped well with silk and do you think if you were a fly that you'd be trying your luck with prey caught in a spider web... :shock:

Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 27 October 08 10:03 pm

I remember a hunstman near Lismore (far northern NSW) that there was no way I could get a jar over to remove. Even a bowl would have been problematic with the legs.

Luckily being a kid at the time left it to dad to sort out!

listmaker
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by listmaker » 28 October 08 9:26 am

chatmanais wrote:
If wrote: The best the spider can hope to do is nibble on a bit of flesh or lick up the juices as the carcas decays :D
<P> The same goes with these as with most spiders, they inject enzymes and other digestive juices which break down and liquify the internal tissues of the prey, then suck up the melted juices (known as external digestion). So basically in the birds case you are left with an empty bird shell or slightly less depending on how long the spider keeps the prey in the web. With the one i spoke of eating a sunbird, the dead bird was in the spiders web for a week before it was slowly sucked away. The carcass does not tend to decay with much speed at all because it is generally wrapped well with silk and do you think if you were a fly that you'd be trying your luck with prey caught in a spider web... :shock:
You are kidding - that is the most disgusting thing I've ever read! :shock: So now my spider nightmares will involve them not just NEAR me, but actually INGESTING me.

Post by Guest » 28 October 08 9:33 am

listmaker wrote:You are kidding - that is the most disgusting thing I've ever read! :shock:
You digest your food on the inside, they do it on the outside, what's the big deal? I'm sure if a Correna ever has to examine your body and stomach contents he'd say the same about you ;)

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

Post by If » 28 October 08 8:20 pm

listmaker wrote:You are kidding - that is the most disgusting thing I've ever read! :shock:
No need to thank us listmaker, we're here to help :D :D :D

listmaker
700 or more Caches found
700 or more Caches  found

Post by listmaker » 29 October 08 1:37 pm

:oops: I must have skipped one too many biology classes all those years ago.....but I still reckon that spider story is the stuff of nightmares!

Post by Guest » 29 October 08 3:15 pm

listmaker wrote::oops: I must have skipped one too many biology classes all those years ago.....but I still reckon that spider story is the stuff of nightmares!
Do yourself a favour, go rent arachnophobia ;)

chatmanais
150 or more caches found
150 or more caches found

Post by chatmanais » 29 October 08 3:17 pm

delta_foxtrot2 wrote: Do yourself a favour, go rent arachnophobia ;)
<p>Classic! B-grade horror at its best :)