Have you Ever Been Approached by a Muggle:?:

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.

Would you Tell a Muggle what Geocaching Is:?:

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 76

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 25 September 08 11:55 pm

Funnily enough have only ever had it happen on bushwalking caches. Most recently in Perth with HHHeddie doing Stairway To Heaven. We had both managed to misread a digit on the final WP and were stuffing around in the wrong location. These walkers came past and asked us if everything was OK and we made up some excuse. Then went back to the WP and got the right numbers, then it was a quick find.

Never had anyone ask in the city, has happened a few times in the bush but never had to make up any excuses for looking around. I have introduced a few muggles to the concept though. A few places I am glad nobody came up as they would have probably thought I was there to jump and end it all!

Blondybear

Post by Blondybear » 27 September 08 9:22 pm

Happened today. I was mountain biking through the Royal National park, and another lone rider tagged along with me, as i agreed to guide him along the trail to Heathcote. It became awkward when i stopped to walk 150 metres through the bush to bag a cache (i thought he would ride on without me) Well I spilled the beans and sung like a canary. He was fasinated and pulled out his I-Phone and downloaded the Geocache website.
We now have a new geocacher...i chuckled to myself when i took him to a regular cache stocked with goodies. He was checking out all sorts of spots to hide a cache on our return to the carpark at Grays Point.
I guess i had a gut feeling that this would eventuate as a positive outcome for the sport.

Aquilla
200 or more found
200 or more found

The Ultimate Muggle

Post by Aquilla » 29 November 08 6:46 pm

Hmm - happened to me today - and happened to be an off duty policeman. So of course, middle aged male acting odd around a park, called in reinforcements. Had the car searched, me searched, the girl donned gloves to check the container (Glad it wasn't an ammo container type). They were all pretty happy at the end, and laughed when I said it was easier when I have the kids with me...

Re: The Ultimate Muggle

Post by Guest » 29 November 08 7:07 pm

Aquilla wrote:the girl donned gloves
You know its serious when the latex gloves come out ;)

Aquilla
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by Aquilla » 29 November 08 7:09 pm

delta_foxtrot2 wrote:
Yeah - she wasn't bad looking either! But alas, it was only to handle the cache... :lol: :lol:

Post by Guest » 29 November 08 7:27 pm

Aquilla wrote:
delta_foxtrot2 wrote:
Yeah - she wasn't bad looking either! But alas, it was only to handle the cache... :lol: :lol:
It's really a pity the world has come to this, you can't do anything out of the perceived social "norms" or face being labelled a terrorist or pedophile or something worst...

The funny thing is politicians are of course to blame for most of the inflicted terror, and in light of the recent attack in India you'd think they'd be toning down the rhetoric to reduce the risk of future attacks, but they shine the media spot light all over it to further their own purposes and yet aren't held accountable when future attacks occur in the same way because they wanted the international media's attension.

I always wanted to ring the terror hotline and report Howard and Bush, but I figured it wasn't worth the trouble of being rubber gloved ;)

HDSpringer
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life
900 answers to the unknown mysteries of life

Post by HDSpringer » 30 November 08 4:08 pm

On 29th June 2007 The Reluctant Companion and I were riding to Cooktown, in North Queensland, on the motorbikes to celebrate the opening of the new bitumen road and I wanted to do a couple of caches along the way and introduce some Ulysses friends to a new game! "Molly Molloy" sounded a good choice and easy to find so away we went. Unfortunately we searched everywhere - found a very likely place but no cache. An old bloke was sitting on a stump checking us out and asked what we were looking for - I just replied "Playing a game" and we left. When I went to log a DNF the following log was posted on the same day! So perhaps sometimes it pays to say what you are doing!!. :lol:

June 29, 2007 by Danielc (108 found)
"Found by Danielc, Danielv, and wife on a really beautiful day. A bit cool this morning - frost on the grass in the back yard. Found what looked like the site, but no cache. Looked very carefully, but still no cache. Started to widen the search area, and was hailed by a bearded non-participant waving the cache. "Is this what you're looking for," he calls.
"That's it!" I answers, and we gather round. He had found it by accident and was wondering what it was. "Did you read the note inside?" I asked.
"Can't read." he answers. I don't know if that is true, but he looked a bit like it might have been. We explained what Geocaching is all about, and he obviously thought we were a bunch of lunatics, but he was quite nice about it. "I wonder if this is what that bunch of motorbike riders were looking for?" he says, "they were running all about through the bush with GPSs this morning."
So, if you are a geocacher motorbiker that didn't find the cache this morning, this is the reason.
Our friend put a golf tee in as a gesture of good will, we took penguin and put in a Grand Canyon Pin that we took from Lil Mill I think. We returned the cache to its hiding place.
All told - a very interesting start to our Geocaching Picnic by the sea.
Cheers, and Good Hunting.
Dan
" :lol:

winterdragon
3500 or more caches found
3500 or more caches found

Post by winterdragon » 02 December 08 1:48 pm

I've been approached once by a security guard, who was pretty casual about the whole thing, and a handful of times by semi-interested muggles.
<br><br>
I just hope I never have an experience like this one.

Richary

Post by Richary » 02 December 08 10:46 pm

Hmmm, after consideration I would have gone to the local police station and reported it. If he is going to abuse people for using a park then he is just as likely to abuse kids for trying to kick a footy in it or whatever.

Even if it's still not a suitable cache location the loony needs to be told that his behaviour isn't on. It isn't his backyard and to pull his head in.

Post by Guest » 02 December 08 11:20 pm

richary wrote:Hmmm, after consideration I would have gone to the local police station and reported it. If he is going to abuse people for using a park then he is just as likely to abuse kids for trying to kick a footy in it or whatever.

Even if it's still not a suitable cache location the loony needs to be told that his behaviour isn't on. It isn't his backyard and to pull his head in.
I'm inclined to agree with you and on a number of occasions have called the police, not over this, but on people doing stupid things on highways when I thought they were likely to be the cause of an accident (ie they looked drunk or were seriously road ragey).

My thinking goes like this, if something does happen, and I did nothing, I would be in some small way responsible for not attempting to be socially responsible... Unfortunately those in a position not only to do something, but paid by society to do it, rarely do until it's to late since they have better things to do, like harassing people playing geonavigation games or watching paint dry, which is a shame really...

Fuddley
1950 or more caches found
Location: Hastings NZ GPSr: Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr: Tom Tom XL one GPSr: Garmin Etrex Vista

Post by Fuddley » 03 December 08 7:29 am

I have done things like use my GPSr as a phone or a camera, most people don't take too much notice. I also find that if you are wearing a hi-viz vest people generally leave you alone. Don't try "I'm looking for my contact lens" as people take pity and try to help.

Post by Guest » 03 December 08 10:01 am

Fuddley wrote:I have done things like use my GPSr as a phone or a camera
My BlackBerry is a phone and has camera functionality and can also do email! ;) (oh and has GPS built in just for kicks!)

Fuddley
Location: Hastings NZ GPSr: Garmin Oregon 300 GPSr: Tom Tom XL one GPSr: Garmin Etrex Vista

Post by Fuddley » 04 December 08 6:43 am

[quote="delta_foxtrot2"][quote="Fuddley"]I have done things like use my GPSr as a phone or a camera[/quote]

My BlackBerry is a phone and has camera functionality and can also do email! ;) (oh and has GPS built in just for kicks!)[/quote]

Well some of us done have the flash toys and just have to pretend :lol: :lol:

Post by Guest » 04 December 08 11:13 am

Fuddley wrote:Well some of us done have the flash toys and just have to pretend :lol: :lol:
Erm, you have a GPS and are pretending to have a phone, yet no flash toy? lol

Abodi

Post by Abodi » 08 December 08 3:08 pm

"What if it was a police officer who was a geocacher, but pretending not to be just so they could mess with your mind? :shock: "

That made me laugh out loud. i was unprepared.

First time i was out caching, my brother, his flatmate and I were looking for this cache. This group of about 7 people coming walking up the path, one of them pipes up and speaks "are you geocaching?"

I didn't know what to say so i said yes. she had never been geocaching, had jsut heard of it, and thought we must look like cacher dorks or something. it was funny.