which navman/whatever

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Gunn Parker
400 or more spectacular views seen

which navman/whatever

Post by Gunn Parker » 20 August 08 8:13 pm

HI All
I am looking into buying some kind of in car street mapping gizmo.
I often need to be picked up in some far of place after hiking and camping out overnight.

So I had a thought that it might be handy for Wendy to have one of those in the car, and I can tell her the day before where and when to meet me and pick me up.

I see now they are down to around the $200.00 mark which sounds good for me. It must have fairly up to date maps and if it has unsealed roads and tracks even better.

I have no idea if what to look at so I am hoping someone can recommend something please.
Thanks
Andrew

acts2youthgroup
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by acts2youthgroup » 20 August 08 8:33 pm

TomTom

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 20 August 08 9:03 pm

acts2youthgroup wrote:TomTom
Hi
Thats a start, any model I should look for?
Thanks

Ok I found this TomTom One ver3 Here at DSE but it does not have a power cord to run it from the car, only rechargeable Lithium Ion battery. Web price is $249

acts2youthgroup

Post by acts2youthgroup » 20 August 08 9:47 pm

I have a 710, but I have seen the base models do the same navigation wise. The good thing about tomtom is the ability to add poi files. So basicly I have every cache for my state loaded up and have different icons for type and size displayed. Not sure of the poi features of navman.

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 20 August 08 11:49 pm

acts2youthgroup wrote: So basicly I have every cache for my state loaded up and have different icons for type and size displayed. .
I have a Tom Tom Go 720, highly recommended.
How do you add caches as POI's? Have you got them on the memory card oor on the local drive?
I have all my music on the card but how do you add caches?

murf

Post by murf » 21 August 08 12:12 am

If you are a GSAK user, just use the TomTom POI export to create an ov2 file. If you copy the ov2 file, along with a bmp icon file into the "Australia" directory on your Tomtom, you will get a POI category that corresponds to the ov2 file. I.E, caches.ov2 will give you a "caches" category.

There is also a GSAK macro that will export the different types of caches for you: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtop ... entry57222

The other possibility with the TomTom 720, is to use the HTML export from GSAK and put the results on your card. You can then browse all your cache details through the document browser in the 720...

murf

Post by murf » 21 August 08 12:16 am

Forgot to mention, the icon file should have the same name... caches.ov2 & caches.bmp
If you have a search through the forums, someone has made up a GCA icon that you can use. If you can't find it, i'm happy to post it again.

lattejed

MIO Digiwalker 230

Post by lattejed » 21 August 08 12:41 am

Bought the MIO for $170 with a 2008 map upgrade and all the usual bits and pieces from Bing Lee here in ACT. Iam finding it excellent value. Data entry is quicker than the Navman in that it only searches for streets in the town entered. I haven't explained that very well but it is late. It does permit user initiated POI's. I haven't used it for caching yet so I am not sure how it would go - possibly a bit slow.

murf

Post by murf » 21 August 08 8:42 am

After re-reading the original post....
I currently run a TomTom GO720 and a Garmin 60CSx, and I love the TomTom for friendly routing and planning. I also wouldnt bother giving the 60CSx to the Mrs to use for routing... Also, a TomTom GO720 will probably be a bit out of your price range. And while it will have up to date maps when you get it, you would be looking at $150-$250 per year to keep them up to date. Now that "Map Share" corrections work on the Australian map, that may not be as critical however.

Given that, I havent looked at what offerings they have, but maybe one of the Garmin nuvi series might be a better option. Now that openstreetmap.org maps are available in routable Garmin format, you can have your device map include whatever dirt roads and off road trails you want! :) OK, you might need to add them to the map yourself if they're not there initially, but as the data set improves, OSM will be very handy.

(NB: I don't know if the routable OSM maps work on the nuiv's, im just assuming they do because they're Garmin...)

Udderchaos

Post by Udderchaos » 21 August 08 9:07 am

tomtom of any description,

pretty sure that model you spoke of does come with a in car charging lead.

mates got a nuvi which is also quite good.

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 21 August 08 10:54 am

Udderchaos wrote:tomtom of any description,

pretty sure that model you spoke of does come with a in car charging lead.

mates got a nuvi which is also quite good.
Hi, it did come with a car charger but can it be run off this charger cable?
battery life if supposed to be about two hours so I want to be able to run the devise from a cable.

Thanks

tronador

Post by tronador » 21 August 08 12:25 pm

murf wrote:If you are a GSAK user, just use the TomTom POI export to create an ov2 file. If you copy the ov2 file, along with a bmp icon file into the "Australia" directory on your Tomtom, you will get a POI category that corresponds to the ov2 file. I.E, caches.ov2 will give you a "caches" category.

There is also a GSAK macro that will export the different types of caches for you: http://gsak.net/board/index.php?showtop ... entry57222

The other possibility with the TomTom 720, is to use the HTML export from GSAK and put the results on your card. You can then browse all your cache details through the document browser in the 720...
Hi
Thanks for the info. I don't use GSAK and have heard of a macro but don't really know what it is.

Udderchaos

Post by Udderchaos » 21 August 08 12:31 pm

yes they charge and are powered by the cable at the same time.

Gunn Parker

Post by Gunn Parker » 21 August 08 2:00 pm

Thanks

Ksix
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by Ksix » 21 August 08 2:56 pm

We use a Garmin Nuvi 310 which is great.<br><br>One of the best things about it is that when routing to a particular location it says the street name and the direction (rather than just - turn left in 200m, it says - turn left on to george st in 200m) which might not sound like much but really helps when navigating, so you don't have to always look at the screen, you can just listen to the prompts as you go.<br><br>Cheers<br><br>Ksix<br><br>"Eat... Sleep... Geocache..."