GeosportZ - Questions and Clarifications

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
Richary
8000 or more caches found
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 26 August 08 6:44 pm

I'm not quite sure I get the difference in semantics between the meaning of any year and any month. Not that it matters as long as the rules are clear to all.<p>Would finding a cache hidden on 8/8/08 be allowable or not irrelevant to me, I have claimed that category on 6/8.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 27 August 08 12:20 am

richary wrote:I'm not quite sure I get the difference in semantics between the meaning of any year and any month. Not that it matters as long as the rules are clear to all.<p>Would finding a cache hidden on 8/8/08 be allowable or not irrelevant to me, I have claimed that category on 6/8.
Thanks for understanding. I'm a programmer not a grammarian :-)
Yes, 080808 is perfectly acceptable.

Coffee and Cache
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Coffee and Cache » 28 August 08 12:26 am

Re: The 1500m
<p>
I have hidden a cache that we walked over 2km to place, however, I have discovered a shorter route which is marginal - about 1400m.<p>
So, the question is, does the shortest route have to be >= 1500m or is it sufficient that one uses the longer route to hide or find the cache?

Coffee and Cache

Post by Coffee and Cache » 28 August 08 1:21 am

Re: Badminton

Me again I'm afraid.<p>

What about if the flying ability of the animal is somewhere between that of an eagle and a kiwi? <p>

I'm thinking specifically of the Lyrebird. They are poor flyers and generally regarded as ground dwellers, but can indeed manage to get up to the tops of trees, apparently in a series of short hops/flights where they dwell at night.<p>

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 August 08 10:14 am

Coffee and Cache wrote:Re: The 1500m
<p>
I have hidden a cache that we walked over 2km to place, however, I have discovered a shorter route which is marginal - about 1400m.<p>
So, the question is, does the shortest route have to be >= 1500m or is it sufficient that one uses the longer route to hide or find the cache?
As long as you didn't walk around and around in circles to get up the meters, close enough. The requirement is more about getting out there into the country side than an exercise in great circle maths.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 28 August 08 10:15 am

Coffee and Cache wrote:Re: Badminton

Me again I'm afraid.<p>

What about if the flying ability of the animal is somewhere between that of an eagle and a kiwi? <p>

I'm thinking specifically of the Lyrebird. They are poor flyers and generally regarded as ground dwellers, but can indeed manage to get up to the tops of trees, apparently in a series of short hops/flights where they dwell at night.<p>
We've allowed chickens so I think a lyrebird would fit into that category.

Coffee and Cache

Post by Coffee and Cache » 28 August 08 10:49 pm

Thanks caughtatwork - I'll have two new caches in the above two categories hopefully published in a day or two.

tronador
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 01 September 08 2:18 pm

In the event that there are two players with the identical score at the end of the game period, the highest, earliest score will be used as the tiebreaker.

As an example.

Scenario 1:

Player A and B ended the game with the same number of points.
Player A: The highest points total for any requirement was 26.
Player B: The highest points total for any requirement was 20.
Player A is deemed to be the winner as they claimed the highest number of points against a single requirement than Player B.
Scenario 2:
I'm a little confused. :? This is what the rules state but it appears that if you finish earlier than someone else then this determines your position in the ladder????? So it is a race???????

Congratulations by the way to those that have finished, it's no mean feat!!!! :D :D :D

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 01 September 08 2:54 pm

It's not strictly speaking, a race, however where there are equal points then the date on which the highest points were claimed is a factor.

The date you finish or the number of caches you took to get to the end is not a factor in determining the position on the ladder.

As per the example, if you both get the same points, the highest points, earliest claim is the decider.

It may be coincidental that the positions look like they are lining up with dates and number of finds, but that's not the case. It IS a coincidence.

tronador

Post by tronador » 01 September 08 3:09 pm

caughtatwork wrote:It's not strictly speaking, a race, however where there are equal points then the date on which the highest points were claimed is a factor.

The date you finish or the number of caches you took to get to the end is not a factor in determining the position on the ladder.

As per the example, if you both get the same points, the highest points, earliest claim is the decider.

It may be coincidental that the positions look like they are lining up with dates and number of finds, but that's not the case. It IS a coincidence.
Thanks for the clarification.... I undrstand and once again Congrats to those that did so well. :D :D

Bewilderbeest
2000 or more caches found
2000 or more caches found

Post by Bewilderbeest » 01 September 08 3:53 pm

I'd suggest for future games consider using points average as a tiebreaker. If total points are equal, then who had fewer claims to acheive that score? If points average is equal then go to the value of the highest scoring claim. You take date out of it all together.

Just a thought...

svn07
850 or more found!!!
850 or more found!!!

Basketball

Post by svn07 » 01 September 08 11:04 pm

Is an average ("regular") ammo can >= 6 litres? (too spatially challenged to mentally compare a sphere with a box and ascertain volume! :? )

caughtatwork

Re: Basketball

Post by caughtatwork » 01 September 08 11:16 pm

svn07 wrote:Is an average ("regular") ammo can >= 6 litres? (too spatially challenged to mentally compare a sphere with a box and ascertain volume! :? )
No, it's not. A .30 calibre can is around 2 litres and a .50 calibre is around 3 litres. I know this because I stash a sistema of appropriate size in each of those can sizes when I hide a new cache.

strong-arm
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Post by strong-arm » 01 September 08 11:16 pm

Regarding this one:
GeosportZ wrote:26: The Olympic Rings
Find and log a physical cache where the words red, green, blue, black or yellow appear in the name in order to claim this requirement.
Can the word be part of another word, like "Redgum" for example?

tronador

Post by tronador » 01 September 08 11:20 pm

caughtatwork wrote:
Gwennie1984 wrote:For #13 Gymnastics 13 - Find and log a physical cache that has the words floor, beam, ring, bar or vault in the cache name in order to claim this requirement.

Does it count if the word ring is within the cache name but not on its own, ie. keyring?
Sorry, but no. The word needs to appear as a word unto itself.