GeosportZ - Questions and Clarifications

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
swampgecko
It's all in how you get there....
It's all in how you get there....

Post by swampgecko » 02 August 08 6:09 am

caughtatwork wrote:
swampgecko wrote:The following requirements need multiple cache finds.

Decathlon
Heptathlon

Can the finds required for the heptathlon count towards the tally for the Decathlon? The way I read it, I can only ask for the highest point claim for one cache for either of these requirements, as long as I am not claiming the same cache I should be ok. Is that correct?

So in effect I could find seven caches on Saturday, claiming the hep for that day's effort and then find another three for the dec for the weekend in total.

Also, can any of those caches not used to claim either the points for the hep and dec then be used to claim points for other requirements?
The intent was to find a different set of 10 caches for the decathlon to the 7 caches for the heptathlon. The overarching guideline in this case is the rules. http://www.cachinggames.com/gz/rules.php

Each requirement must be claimed against a cache previously unfound by you.
==AND==
Each requirement must be claimed against a different cache.

If you were to claim 7 for the heptathlon, then automatically these are excluded from any other claim as they have already been "found by you".

So while the wording is a little less than clear, for the decathlon and the heptathlon, you may not use the same cache finds.
Thanks for the clarification

Ksix
500 or more caches logged
500 or more caches logged

Rule clarification

Post by Ksix » 02 August 08 3:48 pm

Can I just confirm that it doesn't matter how many of the requirements you meet (or don't meet), but just as long as when you total your points for the caches you've found that they do not go over the target of 888.

i.e. there is one particular requirement that cannot be met by a lot of Qld cachers (unless they are willing to travel 600-700 km's to get a single cache), therefore this one, is for all intensive purposes, impossible to reach, but as long as we can get as close to the target of 888 using the other req's than that is fine ??

Is this correct??

Cheers,
Ksix

Facitman
1400 or more caches found
1400 or more caches found

Post by Facitman » 02 August 08 6:03 pm

Hi Ksix
You are correct. The number of claims is not significant it's your ability to hit a score 888. From the Rules Page (Link):
You may log as many or few of the 30 disciplines that you require in order to achieve the target score
You are seeking the highest number of points without exceeding 888 points
Peter

edmil
1000 or more caches found

Post by edmil » 02 August 08 10:10 pm

Just a quick question: can you only log each requirement once or can you log the same requirement multiple times with different caches?
E.g. if you do cycle caches two days in a row can you log cycling twice?

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 02 August 08 10:21 pm

edmil wrote:Just a quick question: can you only log each requirement once or can you log the same requirement multiple times with different caches?
E.g. if you do cycle caches two days in a row can you log cycling twice?
'fraid not. Only one claim per requirement. Just like the Olympics, you get one go, so do your best on the day :-)* You do have up to 7 days to log our requirement so if you intend on doing a cycle today and one tomorrow, then wait until tomorrow and see which one gets you the best points. But if you miss the 7 day cut off, tough luck buster :-)

Once your log a requirement the ability to select that requirement again should have disappeared from the drop down list.

*OK, I understand round robin and eliminations, but we don't have those. Choose wisely.

edmil

Post by edmil » 02 August 08 11:10 pm

Thanks C@W figured that was the case but couldn't find any reference to it in the rules. Just means I'll have to practice more of the disciplines and not sit around on the couch as a spectator. I suppose I can always send Maddie in for a wade - I'll bribe her with Coffee :D

calumphing_four
1600 or more caches found

Post by calumphing_four » 04 August 08 4:22 pm

18. Modern Pentathlon and 27. Triathlon
Does a puzzle listed cache, that requires information to be gathered from at least 2 or 4 spots count?
E.g GCQHDV - Witch Cache

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 August 08 4:56 pm

calumphing_four wrote:18. Modern Pentathlon and 27. Triathlon
Does a puzzle listed cache, that requires information to be gathered from at least 2 or 4 spots count?
E.g GCQHDV - Witch Cache
Ahhhhh! Now I understand. I was very confused there for a while.
'fraid not :-(
The clue caches would not be considered waypoints as they are caches in their own right. In the context of these two requirements, we'd be looking for waypoints within the same cache.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 04 August 08 10:26 pm

We've had some queries on the definition of a lake. To make things easier here is what we define as a lake.

A lake is deemed to be an enclosed body of water greater than 500m wide and 200m long.

The requirement has been updated with this definition. It doesn't change the requirement, it provides clarification of how you can identify a lake without resorting to an email for clarification.

traineediplomat
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.
4000 or more? I'm officially obsessed.

Post by traineediplomat » 05 August 08 11:04 am

Quick question I presume we can log the same cache for different disciplines?? For example if we kayaked to a box shaped cache called Bird's Nest or something similar could that be 3 sports as Canoe-Kayak, Boxing and Badminton???

calumphing_four

Post by calumphing_four » 05 August 08 11:42 am

traineediplomat wrote:Quick question I presume we can log the same cache for different disciplines?? For example if we kayaked to a box shaped cache called Bird's Nest or something similar could that be 3 sports as Canoe-Kayak, Boxing and Badminton???
Unfortunately not, as per this rule:
"Each requirement must be claimed against a different cache. ie. You cannot claim more than one requirement per cache."

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 05 August 08 11:44 am

traineediplomat wrote:Quick question I presume we can log the same cache for different disciplines?? For example if we kayaked to a box shaped cache called Bird's Nest or something similar could that be 3 sports as Canoe-Kayak, Boxing and Badminton???
'fraid not.
http://www.cachinggames.com/gz/rules.php

Each requirement must be claimed against a cache previously unfound by you. ie. You cannot revisit a cache you have already found to claim a requirement, unless the requirement specifically states an exception.

Each requirement must be claimed against a different cache. ie. You cannot claim more than one requirement per cache.

The games software should stop you doing this. The two requirements that we check manually are heptathlon and decathlon. You list the caches you want to claim and we try to make sure you haven't claimed them in any other way.

Coffee and Cache
2200 or more geocaches found

Post by Coffee and Cache » 07 August 08 10:25 pm

In regards to No 29 "Wrestling".

Does the "fellow geocacher" refer to perhaps a member of your own team, or is it meant to be someone from a different team etc.

caughtatwork

Post by caughtatwork » 07 August 08 10:52 pm

Coffee and Cache wrote:In regards to No 29 "Wrestling".

Does the "fellow geocacher" refer to perhaps a member of your own team, or is it meant to a someone from a different team etc.
If it's your team, then you must also meet the requirement to claim this cache: http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0337

Nah, only joking :-)

The intention was to get out there with someone from a different team ... but, that's not always going to be possible for some of our more remote cachers, so in the interests of keeping most requirements available to most people, if can indeed be someone from your own caching team.

Coffee and Cache

Post by Coffee and Cache » 08 August 08 1:30 am

caughtatwork wrote:
If it's your team, then you must also meet the requirement to claim this cache: http://geocaching.com.au/cache/ga0337

Wrestling and GA0337 ! - Not a pretty sight :lol:
<p>
Thanks for the answer.