snakes and creepies

For all your general chit chat, caching or not.
gortwol

snakes and creepies

Post by gortwol » 31 July 08 4:04 pm

Anybody had problems with snakes and creepies at caches. Just wondering, over the weekend had to put my hand into a DEEEEEP hole to get the cache and well images of BIG BROWNS and things that go WHOA in the night flashed through my mind...... :?:

tegator
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by tegator » 31 July 08 4:59 pm

I was out today fixing up one of my caches in the dharawal state conservation area just out the back of campbelltown and on the way back to the car I seen a sml brown snake so there out and about i was shocked to see him as the nights are down to -2 TO 0 around here. And this guy should still be asleep whats going on.

So all keep a look out...

bushandbeach

Post by bushandbeach » 31 July 08 5:16 pm

I have come accross snakes at a couple of cache locations and retreated. If I can't see what is in there, my hand doesn't go in. I will find astick or suitable object for a poke around.

fehrgo
200 or more found
200 or more found

Post by fehrgo » 31 July 08 7:19 pm

Between snakes and funnel webs, if I can't see in, my hand does not go. Even if I can see in, I wear a heavy glove.

I've encountered at least 6 snakes in my (admittedly limited) 212 caches. That is one per 35 caches.

Eric

Papa Bear_Left
800 or more hollow logs searched
800 or more hollow logs searched

Post by Papa Bear_Left » 31 July 08 7:21 pm

A hand mirror is a useful thing to have in your cache bag. You can use and a torch to see into places where you really don't want to put your hand!

A gardening glove is also useful.

I've even used my camera, set to macro mode, to get an idea of what's in a hole or above a bridge girder, etc. before I go putting my skin anywhere near there.

It was so nice caching in NZ, where there's no venomous snakes at all and virtually no venomous spiders!

Varuna
2350 or more caches found
2350 or more caches found

Post by Varuna » 31 July 08 8:06 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote:....It was so nice caching in NZ, where there's no venomous snakes at all and virtually no venomous spiders!
<p>Amen! :D

If
10000 or more caches found
10000 or more caches found

snakespiderscorpionstonefishjellyfish

Post by If » 31 July 08 8:19 pm

Yes :lol:

Richary
8000 or more caches found

Post by Richary » 31 July 08 10:12 pm

Papa Bear_Left wrote: I've even used my camera, set to macro mode, to get an idea of what's in a hole or above
<p>I shoould really start carrying a mirror with me. But I find the mobile phone camera with built in LED "flash" is quite good for poking into holes/around corners to see if the cache is hiding in there (and what else might be).<p>Most gardening gloves probably wouldn't protect a snakebite unless leather all around, though another worry here in Sydney is funnelwebs and they are probably good for those.

Marcus Vitruvius
5000 or more caches found
5000 or more caches found

Post by Marcus Vitruvius » 31 July 08 11:02 pm

2...Both times I was running along a bush track, jumped over a small gorge, and landed within a foot of a brown and a black snake. Amazingly as I stood there a filled up my pants, they both just slithered away.

delboy1203
300 or more found
300 or more found
Twitter: delboy1203

Post by delboy1203 » 01 August 08 9:08 am

richary wrote:...But I find the mobile phone camera with built in LED "flash" is quite good for poking into holes/around corners to see if the cache is hiding in there (and what else might be).
<p>
I use my phone too... very helpful for looking down holes and under things where I want to avoid detection by muggles.
<p>
Only ever seen one snake while out caching and that was after seeing a mouse first, so I guess Mr Snake was out for dinner.

dead_reckoning
50 or more caches found
50 or more caches found

Post by dead_reckoning » 03 August 08 1:46 am

It always freaks me out when I have to put my hand in some small dark place :/ You can use a dental mirror to look in small spaces and under rocks, etc. Before jamming your hand in there :wink:

tronador
6500 or more caches found
6500 or more caches found

Post by tronador » 03 August 08 2:37 pm

I carry a tiny LED light on a key chain and use that. First I always poke around with a long stick and listen for the sound of a cache box or if nothing jumps out at me I use the light to check and only then do I put my hand in a dark hole.

Have only seen a handful of snakes in all the many years I've bushwalked but saying that ,2 weeks ago returning from a cache in Botany Bay NP. I came across a big black snake, could have been a Red belly. I just stopped and gave it some space, soon after if slithered off into the bushes.
I like snakes and find that they are usually more scared of us. think of it from a snakes point of view. If this huge foot stomped on you or close to you wouldn't you bite back or at least try and defend yourself. :lol: :o :D

Richary

Post by Richary » 03 August 08 10:41 pm

Have never found a snake caching, except sunning themselves on the roads to the south of Adelaide while driving to the next spot. Have had experiences just bushwalking though of finding red or yellow bellied blacks and browns sunning themselves on the track. As Tronador says, make a bit of noise and they will usually slither off.

I was in Botany Bay NP today but din't see any.

Thomo

Post by Thomo » 06 August 08 7:52 pm

Yep, only seen the first red belly black of the "season" in Wagga on Sunday near one of Roostamans Wagga bridge series caches (Gobba bridge #4), scared the absolute crap out of us :shock: . Never have I seen one in winter before, admittadly it was a warm day but didn't think it was that warm.
Marcus Vitruvius was with me, so now he can claim he has come across 3 . :lol:

ruzzelz
5500 or more caches found
5500 or more caches found

Post by ruzzelz » 06 August 08 10:18 pm

I've seen at least six.

3 of those in the one day on the way to cache number 1,000 Cicarda Song. Avoided the first one :D , the second one flew by me after rogainer stood on it :o and the third one I stood on and flew up at the cacher behind me :shock:

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_de ... y&decrypt=